The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.12 - Chris MD's task: What Comes Next?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 01, 2013 06:25AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
25.12 -- Chris MD's task: What Comes Next?
I thought when I finished the Spring challenge that I’d take a few days off and relax. Instead I couldn’t wait to get started on a new batch of books. Which got me thinking how there’s always something just around the corner. I’m going to use a variation on that theme for my task.

Choose ONE option and read TWO books that will satisfy that option.

1. Series by the Numbers: Read books from two different series that are one number apart. For example, I could read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2) and Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #3). Note: The books must come from different series and must be identified as a series (series name, #) on Goodreads.

2. Author A-B-C’s: Read a book of your choice, then using the author’s last name, read a book by an author whose last name starts with the next letter in the alphabet. For example, if I read Delirium by Lauren Oliver, the second book would have to be by somebody whose last name starts with a “P.” You cannot go from Z to A.

3. A 1 and a 2: Read a book with a number in the title, then read a book with the next number in its title. For example, Twelve Sharp and Thirteen Moons. As an alternative, you can use ordinals, but both must be in that form. For example, The Sixth Man and On the Night of the Seventh Moon, but not The Sixth Man and Seven Up. It doesn’t matter if the number is in numerical form or written out.

4. Sun Up to Sundown: Read a book with “morning” in the title, then read a book with “afternoon” in the title. Or read a book with “afternoon” and then one with “night” or “evening” in the title. You may not combine “morning” and “night/evening.” Plurals and possessives may be used, but the words must have the same variation. For example: A Thousand Afternoons could be paired with Bollywood Nights because they are both plurals. No other variations are allowed.

5. Time to Eat: Three square meals a day—breakfast, lunch, and dinner—pick two in order and read a book with each meal in the title. For example, I could read Breakfast at Tiffany's and Naked Lunch or Naked Lunch and Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, but I couldn't combine a "breakfast" title with a "dinner" title. Plurals and possessives may be used, but the words must have the same variation. For example: My Lunches with Orson: Conversations between Henry Jaglom and Orson Welles and Dinners and Nightmares would work because they are both plurals. No other variations are allowed.

6. A Seasonal Challenge: Read a book with one of the seasons in its title (winter, spring, summer, fall/autumn), then read a book with the next season in its title. In this one, you may do a fall/autumn-winter combination. Plurals and possessives may be used, but the words must have the same variation. For example: Spring's Renewal and Summer's Child can be used together because they are both possessives. No other variations are allowed.

Required: State which options you used when you post.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments These books will work:

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments And these books won't:

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 887 comments What fun!

message 6: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1695 comments Really clever! I want to do all 6!

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "The Chemistry of Death - Simon Beckett and Book Of Souls - Glenn Cooper for Option 2"

Works just fine!

message 9: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Thanks x

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7595 comments Ohhh good task!! Was looking for a place for some series books I've been reading ;)

message 11: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments just to check for option 3, are they ok The 6th Target and 7th Heaven or second book should be written by different author?

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments Aleksandra wrote: "just to check for option 3, are they ok The 6th Target and 7th Heaven or second book should be written by different author?"

They can be by the same author, so those are fine. Enjoy!

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments I'm going to read...

Option 1

The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum (#2 in series)

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James (#3 in series)

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments You've got it.

Claire wrote: "I'm going to read...

Option 1

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James (#3 in series)"

message 15: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 16, 2013 02:52PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17603 comments Mod
Claire wrote: "I'm going to read...

Option 1

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James (#3 in series)"

Claire, watch the length with The Marvelous Land of Oz
books with the genre Childrens must be 300+ pages for 25 point tasks

message 16: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Ok I'll read The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman instead x

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments That works!

message 18: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments For Option 5 would these two books be approved?

Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast

Lunchbox: Inside and Out

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments Sorry, Wanda. Plurals and possessives are the only variations allowed, so "lunchbox" won't work.