Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > What Are You Reading in June 2013?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Please tell us what you are reading this month!

message 2: by Daniel (last edited May 31, 2013 12:23PM) (new)

Daniel (dward526) Alright, here is my list for june

I will finish up Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay and have on queue the following

The Drowning City (The Necromancer Chronicles, #1) by Amanda Downum Monster Hunter International (MHI, #1) by Larry Correia The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga, #1) by Mary Stewart Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3) by Brent Weeks Nine Princes in Amber (Amber Chronicles, #1) by Roger Zelazny Sheepfarmer's Daughter (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1) by Elizabeth Moon Insurrection (The Insurrection Trilogy, #1) by Robyn Young The Shadow of the Torturer (The Book of the New Sun #1) by Gene Wolfe The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Steal Across the Sky by Nancy Kress The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination Original Short Fiction for the Modern Evil Genius by John Joseph Adams

Pretty fantasy heavy this month :)

plus others as catch my fancy

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen No where near that many for me. Starting Knife of Dreams, then the new series read. After that I'll see if there is any June left.

message 4: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I'm working my way through Steal Across the Sky and am reading a bit of The Book of Tea each night before bed. The rest of June's stack includes:

Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith
The Opposing Shore by Julien Gracq (not spec-fic per se, but surrealist)
Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (not spec-fic at all, but for a classics challenge)
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
Red Moon by Benjamin Percy (surprisingly won through the Goodreads giveaway contest, reading it for review)

message 5: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments Im currently reading Excession (Culture, #5) by Iain M. Banks with a view to read: Jupiter  by Ben Bova , Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) by Frederik Pohl and The Guns of Avalon (Amber Chronicles, #2) by Roger Zelazny

message 6: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2146 comments Mod
I'm working on Firestorm and plan to continue with the rest of the series when I finish it. I don't know what's up next after that - I don't plan ahead, just pick up whatever moves me when I'm trying to decide what to read!

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3108 comments Mod
I'm finishing Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3) by Carol Berg (actually hope to finish before June starts!!). Then I will continue the Nicholas Flamel series--I'm on The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #3) by Michael Scott . I also have Orca (Vlad Taltos, #7) by Steven Brust up to continue my Vlad Taltos series read, and The Faded Sun Trilogy (Alliance-Union Universe) by C.J. Cherryh .

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments You guys are making me feel bad

I will be lucky to get through Deadhouse Gates this month. LOL

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments I'm currently reading The Shadowed Sun. I also plan on starting Monster Hunter International and Dead Reckoning in the next day or two. I have lots of books I want to get to this week.

message 10: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 375 comments Candiss wrote: "I'm working my way through Steal Across the Sky and am reading a bit of The Book of Tea each night before bed."

I'd love to know what you think of The Book of Tea. It's on my "really ought to read it someday" list. I've been reading up lately on the social history of tea and that book is mentioned a lot.

I'll likely finish with Fool's Errand in the next day or two and will move on to Golden Fool afterward. Still struggling to want to pick SW:Allies back up. Maybe I'll get more read on my 5 day vacation next week but probably not much after that... moving again!

message 11: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 809 comments I've started The Claw of the Conciliator in audio. I've also started Nothing Human in text. I didn't really mean to. I was just browsing through my books taking a peak here and there and when I opened this one I couldn't stop.

message 12: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 136 comments Just finished Without a Summer by Mary Robinette Kowal - a fantasy + Regency novel. I'm going to be reading A Dance With Dragons this summer (for the first time!) and then I'll be caught up with the Game of Thrones.

message 13: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 375 comments Deedee wrote: "Just finished Without a Summer by Mary Robinette Kowal - a fantasy + Regency novel."

Really enjoyed that one, read it when it first came out. It's nice to read a fantasy series that gets better as it goes!

message 14: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

It's only June 8 and I'm already on the last book I had listed for things I plan to read in June (The Faded Sun Trilogy). I have Issola up next. I can't continue the Nicholas Flamel books because I am missing book 5, but after I get that, I plan to read it and book 6, The Enchantress. Hmmm, then what?

message 15: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Issola is one of my favorites in the series :)

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Hoping to finish The Faded Sun trilogy today. Next up is Universes, then The Best of Connie Willis: Award-Winning Stories. I love anthologies! These are both hefty. Along with At Home: A Short History of Private Life they should finish out my month.

message 17: by Helen (new)

Helen Kathi wrote: "It's only June 8 and I'm already on the last book I had listed for things I plan to read in June (The Faded Sun Trilogy). I have Issola up next. I can't continue the Nicholas Flamel books because I..."

Whereas I've been off work and for some reason have barely read anything. Well at least I'm a quarter through my WOT.

message 18: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 809 comments Finished Nothing Human. It had some flaws, but a certain something as well. You know how you just can't put some books down? Its 2am, you have to be up for work in a few hours, and you keep telling yourself just a few more pages.

Well this one is different. You tell yourself you're just going to read for a half hour before bed. The next thing you know your alarm is going off and you would swear you couldn't have been reading for longer than about 20 minutes. And the ereader I use displays a clock on the status bar at the bottom.

I just picked up Roadside Picnic as part of my summer effort to only read books I already own. :)

Still plodding along with The Claw of the Conciliator, which is going so very slowly. I really want to like the series, but I may give up with this book.

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Random wrote: "Still plodding along with The Claw of the Conciliator, which is going so very slowly. I really want to like the series, but I may give up with this book. "

I hated that book. And the 2nd.

message 20: by Pickle (last edited Jun 13, 2013 08:12AM) (new)

Pickle | 202 comments Random wrote: "Still plodding along with The Claw of the Conciliator, which is going so very slowly. I really want to like the series, but I may give up with this book. "

i read the first book and thought it was ok but couldnt finish Claw, i have been loaned the rest of the series but doubt i will continue. I really wanted to like it this series as well.:(

message 21: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I finished The Faded Sun trilogy and was blown away! I had only read Cherryh's fantasy, the trilogy that starts with Rusalka (which I didn't care for much even though I read all 3 books) and her Fortress series, which I liked a lot! This was my first taste of her science fiction and I was so impressed. I never knew what was going to happen next, although as the plot unfolded, everything fit. And her other species were not just humans in other bodies, they were truly different. I have a lot more of her books on my shelf and I look forward to reading them in the future.

Now I'm back to Vlad Taltos--Issola is next up. I will have to choose a few other things, too, since I will be gone 10 days and will have at least some time for reading (although I'm also taking my stack of magazines...).

message 22: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Just finished River of Stars, which I loved. The choice of title is spectacular, if you know a little about Chinese legend - that the Milky Way is called the River of Stars, and it is said to hold the souls of those passed on....

message 23: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 45 comments Reading The Cobra Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Really good so far; I'm about 3/4 done. Good military science fiction. Zahn's one of my favorite writers.

message 24: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I recently finished Total Eclipse, the final book of the Weather Wardens series by Rachel Caine (after re-reading the first eight). I didn't love the way the series ended. I'm glad I read them, but I don't think I'll read them again. They're fun, but relied too much on the same repetitive plot devices, and the Joanne/David relationship grated on my nerves after nine books.

I wanted a change so I read One Step Too Far, fiction which I'd heard good things about, but I found it a little disappointing.

Now I'm reading the short story anthology Jagannath by Karin Tidbeck, and it's absolutely gorgeous.

message 25: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (gavin9) | 3 comments I'm on a short story binge at the moment. Just finished The Future is Japanese: Science Fiction Futures and Brand New Fantasies from and about Japan. and Shoggoths in Bloom and other stories and enjoyed both of them. I just picked up 2312 from the library and am excited to join in the read-along.