Romeo and Juliet Romeo and Juliet question

Was it really wise for them to get married when they just met? What are your thoughts?

I think the whole play's point is how stupidity and recklessness gets you killed. How being rash and impulsive and letting your hormones (they weren't in love, they were in LUST) rule your head is not a very good idea.

So, yeah, I think that getting married a couple of days after you've met is rather stupid––especially considering the fact that Romeo was hung over that other girl (can't remember her name––Rosaline, I think?) just before he met Juliet.

Gary (last edited May 22, 2013 11:55PM ) May 22, 2013 11:53PM   2 votes
Well, the wisdom of marriage in the first place is pretty open for debate... but in this case--and given the life expectancy of people several centuries ago--you've got to get the love machine into gear pretty quickly. After all: plagues, famine, wars, feuding families, V for both vendetta and VD.... Life was a lot more of a gamble back then. I say, act in haste, repent after you're dead.

I think that even though it is kind of really weird to our time, in Shakespeare's time, they did it all the time.

Sorry, that was a lot of times :)

When he wrote the play like what... four hundred years ago? He was just trying to make a story of love and tragedy. You guys can hate it all you want but it really was a major accomplishment for that time period, and I think it was beautifully written.

First and Foremost, you must keep in mind that this is a play. Shakespeare didn't have time to go through the whole 'courtship process' in the couple hours that the stage was his to use. Romeo and Juliet's love was supposed to represent a pure, 'love at first sight' (to clear one thing up: the time span of the play, is from Sunday morning to Thursday evening. During all of that time, the actions of both Romeo and Juliet are accounted for, leaving no room for immorality to occur). In the beginning, Romeo was simply immature in his infatuation with Rosaline, because he knew that she would never consider him. While his true/real love for Juliet displays a completely different side of his character.
Side note: To those of you who have actually read the play, you should know that Shakespeare told his audience outright that the lovers would take their lives at the end of the play.
ALSO, though I am not saying he was right to marry them behind their parents' backs, Friar Lawrence did have a purpose for agreeing to wed them. The theme of haste is displayed (AND cautioned against) by the Friar. Remember, he took time to talk with/mentor Romeo and cautioned him against being too hasty. He wanted to make sure that it wasn't just a 'lust thing.' He reminded Romeo that it was only yesterday when he had been infatuated with Rosaline, and was now claiming that he was truly in love with Juliet!? Also, remember the Montague and Capulet family feuding? The Friar was hoping that, through this marriage, all of that could finally be resolved. It's not as though everything that happened was made in a blind rush (although, obviously, there were decisions that were made far too hastily), there were plans and purposes, but they were continually foiled (because that how Shakespeare wanted it!).
One final note: At the beginning of the play, the suggestion is made by the chorus that Romeo and Juliet are "star-crossed lovers," which would indicate that everything that happened was simply fate working out its course; but the actions of his character, and their displays of free will reminds us that every choice we make has consequences, and this pair of lovers is no exception. Keep in mind the 3 main themes of this play: youth, choices, and responsibility, and hopefully that will help shed some light on this romantic tragedy by Shakespeare.
(P.S. ~ Whatever assumptions you may have could easily be either conferred or corrected by simply using a study guide while reading through this drama. Many people who have mainly negative feeling over this play have based them off of the "surface facts" that most of us knew long before we read it.)
*If you have any questions or comments, leave them and I'll be happy to reply*

My god people, this is poetry! this is Shakespeare! Of course it isn't real! It's a brilliant, well-crafted, and CONDENSED image of love. Do you think a play has the time to portray the clunky and awkward series of events that lead two young birds there? No! Shakespeare needs Romeo and Juliet in love, so he gets them there quickly, and that's when the play really gets going.

U 25x33
Lindzee May but that doesn't mean he was a good boyfriend let alone a good husband
Jan 08, 2016 06:29AM

I have long believed that Romeo and Juliet is actually a comedy--the unrealistic courtship and overstated "love" and impetuous suicide should be taken for laughs, not as a tragedy. Not to make light of suicide, but let's face it, when you see the comi-tragic ending coming, you groan because it is so predictable (and that is by design).

I don't have one opinion over another but I will say this:
1. at that time people died young so it made for people to marry and start families young. That was simply the way things were and there's no changing that.
2. Juliet's parents were making her get married to someone she didn't even know let alone love anyway (whether she was"old enough" or not) , so why shouldn't she marry someone she does know (Romeo)
3. if the feuding families put their differences aside Romeo and Juliet wouldn't have to keep their relationship a secret (and yes, I said relationship). Complications could've been avoided resulting in no one dying at the end.

No, it was foolish, impulsive and "rebellious".

I've always hated this play. It felt ridiculous and over the top and just plain too quick to be real.

Married??? What about the fact that it was perhaps not WISE to kill yourself over a boy/Girl... Married is of no consequence

it wasn't really smart for romeo to fall in love so quickly because he had just met Juliet. he only fell in love with her because she was pretty. he didn't know her as a person and he got lucky that she wasn't one of those conceded girls.

I honestly think that Romeo and Juliet should not have married in such a short period. I think that the purpose of Romeo and Juliet marrying at such a short period of time was to show how a little flaw could lead the characters to their downfall. Romeo and Juliet were perfect character, individually, but they trusted too easily. Both Romeo and Juliet believed that they were in love, some people may argue that it was lust, others love at first sight, or puppy love. Juliet trusted the Friar too much, with her secrets and with the plan to act dead until Romeo came . The whole play was about how placing too much trust in other people is not always the best thing to do.

deleted member May 23, 2013 04:26AM   0 votes
NO.

The idea of young men confusing love and lust is a common theme in Shakespeare. Look at "A Midsummer Night's Dream," for example. The characters think they're in love, but as soon as Puck does his magic, their 'true love' just transfers over to somebody else like it doesn't even matter. Also consider his sonnets. A large number of them are written from the vantage point of an older man to a younger man, and deal with the idea that the love of a good, male friend is better than the love of a woman, because the woman will cloud his judgement, and he will often confuse 'true love' with sexual desire.

Considering the way that Shakespeare normally wrote about young men in love, is it really all that surprising that Romeo married the daughter of is family's sworn enemy so soon after meeting her? And to take it a step further - so soon after his triste with Rosaline? Shakespeare is being ironic with the whole idea of it at first.

Also, Romeo and Juliet is unique among Shakespeare's plays, because it begins as a comedy, but ends as a tragedy. How does this relate to the way Romeo falls in love so quickly? Is there perhaps some relation between love and lust that he is trying to portray with the 'Star-crossed Lovers'?

Well actually I found it revolting! I don't mean the they're so young and got married part, that's fine, cause in Indian culture it's still like that now. But the thing I hated was... it was suppose to be a love and romantic story. You know Love at first sight. What Shakespeare did was a Lust at first sight. I mean I totally didn't approve of that. There was no romance at all. It was more like oh I saw a pretty girl I must be in love and so I will take her to my chamber! Really Now?! But I found a better version of it in an anime I watched. (Anime is Japanese animation just an FYI) So if anyone's interested go watch Romeo X Juliet by Reiko Yoshida. Personally I think it's super cool and I like all the different characters! It truly is a nice outlook on Romeo and Juliet. Well Hope you like it :)

heck yeah! when you love someone you always remember that. Even when I knew I was getting a divorce I wanted to get back with a girl I loved. I was never in love with my ex or anyone else, but that doesn't matter. When you love someone and find that true love, then what else matters? I hope to find this myself but this isn't a dating site now is it? Bet you didn't see that one coming, did ya?

Juliet was 13, Romeo was probably of similar age. So they were both stupid kids entering puberty, thinking with their hormones instead of their brains.

So, nothing what they did was wise, but that's just how kids act. That's why we don't let them vote.

It was incredibly stupid. Who gets married at thirteen? Both Romeo and Juliet were hormonal and dumb, if you ask me

I thought it was kinda cute, but it was mainly teenage rebellion in my perspective. Just because they couldn't be together made them want to be together even more. Its pretty much like saying you can't have something whatever it is it makes you want it even more its like human nature.

I most enjoyed this play when a professor of mine suggested it be read as comedy (though a dark one). It was NOT common in Renaissance England to get married within 24 hours after seeing one another for the first time across a crowded room. And Romeo's sulky pouting over Rosaline and immediate desperate insistence that Juliet not "leave him so unsatisfied" shows him to be a shallow fool. So is the friar, chief architect of foolishness and first to excuse his own responsibility. Lots of fools to make us laugh at the idiocy of what some call "love." If Shakespeare's sonnet is true, and "love is an ever fixed mark," then Romeo, "lover" of two girls in 24 hours, is not a true lover.

I think thats a really good point especially when there is a huge conflict with the family. I think that this is more of a fantasy than anything else

I'm convinced they were both drunk throughout the events of the play; a hook-up at a party that went rather wrong.

was the play realistic of course not it's a tale of fiction was romeo acting like an adult when it came to his relationship with Juliet of course not he was barely starting puberty I think he was 12 years old give him a break I personally thought the play was brilliant and by far my favorite love story love is blind and unwise I personally would rather three days of true love verse a life time of searching for love or so I would like to think and second the way this play was written is pure poetry romeo is the king of one liners I mean really read the play is fucken great I wish I could spit game half as good as that kid lol

Yes, it was stupid to get married based solely on the fact that they thought the other looked attractive. (view spoiler)

The problem isn't their age. Their problem is the fact that they are infatuated with each other and consumed by emotions that prompt them to act rashly.

It was a very different time things worked very differently

Of course it wasn't wise. But when have teenagers' choices ever been based on wisdom?

Is it true that traditionally both parts were played by older actors because they simply had too much depth for an "age appropriate" actor to do them justice?

Shelley, http://dustbowlstory.wordpress.com

It was not wise to get married so quick. Not only did they just meet but their love was forbidden. They are from different families.I do believe that if they would have backed off from each other the minute they found out one was Montague and one was Capulet everything could have been avoided. Juliet could have fallen in love with any other Capulet just as fast as she fell "in love" with Romeo.

Long ago, meeting someone you love for the FIRST TIME, they never really thought that they would still love other people again. When they saw the person they want to live the rest of their life with, time is not of the essence. Especially if the parents won't allow it. HAHA

Hey, it's out of the ordinary, but when you find the one, I guess you find the one. :)

However, they weren't very wise. They hardly knew each other! And look at Romeo!
Romeo: Oh, Rosaline, I love you, I love you, I love you.
5 minutes later. . .
Romeo: Oh, Juliet, I love you, I love you, I love you.

Does this sound like a stable, reliable husband to any of you? Sure doesn't to me. Juliet wasn't weighing this very well. Romeo was a lovesick youth.

It was bound to turn out badly.

U 25x33
Lindzee May he just decided to ping-pong between 2 girls
Jan 08, 2016 06:39AM

People do such things even today, fall in love at first sight, get married at second, and get divorced at third. Human nature persists across the ages and times. Shakespeare wrote about 2 such young naive people who thought they would be happy together & acted in that manner. But all these things put together, make it a great story, if not a great love story.

I would never agree to marrying someone (even someone with whom I was madly in love) at such a young age, but to be fair, that was the way love was handled in those days. Back in the old days, people got married when they were sixteen years old! :o

deleted member Mar 17, 2014 04:49AM   0 votes
Uh........ NO!!!!!!!!

umm...I think the point is that Romeo and Juliet are both not wise. duh, they are selfish teenagers. This story isn't about wisdom. They are young and naive, they make decisions based on how they feel and then think the solution to their problem is to kill themselves, such drama queens. Not very wise. Still love Shakespeare and this does not lessen the tragedy nor the poetry in this play!

By today's standards, of course it was insane for them to get married. Juliet is 13 years old, we have laws against such things. By standards of their day, 13 was a perfectly acceptable age. Apples & oranges, no comparison. The interesting thing is that we are discussing it four hundred-plus years later.

I think the whole point of the play was highlighting the intensity and recklessness of young love. They were teenagers, who, to this day, are known for "falling in love" quickly, often, and without any concern for the consequences of their actions (16 and Pregnant, anyone?). I doubt Shakespeare was suggesting that anyone else should follow their example.

OMG SASSY GAY FRIEND I LOVE HIM!!! it was actually normal to get married really quickly in those days though, but it was generally arranged by the parents. In the play, Juliet's parents try to arrange for her to marry Paris before they even asked her...

I think it was kind of stupid and I don't believe in crap like love in first site.

I think the sassy gay friend says it all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwnFE...

I have to agree with the whole arranged marriage thing. And if you think they were all in lust, which I believe too, then you must also blame the friar. HE should have taken more than a second to review the whole situation to begin with.

In the realistic scope of things, probably not. But Romeo and Juliet were smitten because their love was at first sight, and they believed it was fate and wanted to act on this destiny as soon as possible.

i think that Romeo was on the rebound and Juliet was in a fit of teenage rebellion and they wouldent have lasted.