What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > girl learns from nice witch about herbs and collects them in a herbarium

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lioba (last edited Apr 20, 2009 01:21PM) (new)

Lioba | 6 comments That's almost all I remember. It's a children's book - I read it when I was about 12 or so. I remember that from this book I found out what a herbarium is - and then I made myself one! :-) The book was in German, but I guess it was probably a translation. I must have read it around 1980.

Or actually, maybe it was the little witch herself that had the herbarium? Her name may have been Mirabell or something similar.
______

I'm new. I found this group through a hint in another group, "50 Books A Year". Looks very useful. :-)

message 2: by Mir (new)

Mir | 714 comments Do you remember the setting at all? Eg, modern or old, fantasy or real world?

message 3: by Lioba (new)

Lioba | 6 comments I think real world, 20th century

message 4: by April Ann (last edited May 08, 2009 05:05AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Was the author German as well? Would another word besides "witch" have been used to describe the girl? I'm getting a book about a witch doctor that is written by a German translated from the German language. It's by Grass Gunter.

message 5: by Lioba (new)

Lioba | 6 comments I really don't remember about the author. There was a little witch involved, I know that. And she had a name (which might have been Mirabell). But another word to describe the girl? Hm, I don't think so. And Günter Grass was most likely NOT the author. I don't think Mr. Grass wrote any children's books, did he?

message 6: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments No but his name came up in a search. There may be a German literature site you can search but I'm getting nothing. "Little witch" is a very wide description. There are thousands of hits for that subject.

message 7: by Mir (new)

Mir | 714 comments Did the girl live in a large, old house?

message 8: by Kinsey (new)

Kinsey Swartz (tvindy) | 131 comments Little Witch by Anna Elizabeth Bennett might be a possibility. It was one of my childhood books, but I don't remember the storyline at all.

message 9: by Karin (new)

Karin | 13 comments I am not sure if this is appropriate, or if I should post a new comment, but I think the book I am looking for is similar...I remember a book about a little witch who lived on top of a glass mountain with an older witch. The subplot I remember is, on easter night, the older (mean) witch wanted to foil the easter bunny and tried to trade out the eggs for painted rocks? Does this sound familiar to anyone?!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments I don't think it's Little Witch either. I loved it when I was a kid too and have a copy around here somewhere...

message 11: by Deb (new)

Deb | 48 comments Karin, I think your book is "The Witch Family" by Eleanor Estes.

message 12: by Karin (new)

Karin | 13 comments Yup, that's the one! Thanks Deb.

message 13: by Katrina (new)

Katrina I doubt this is your book, but your description reminds me of Wise Child by Monica Furlong Wise Child. It wasn't written until 1987, but it's about a young girl who moves in with an herbalist/healer who teaches her how to be a good witch of sorts. The girl's mother is a pretty nasty, manipulative piece of work who tries to lure her back with a darker kind of magic. I don't think there's an herbarium, but a fun read :)

message 14: by Kinsey (new)

Kinsey Swartz (tvindy) | 131 comments Why was this filed as solved when it hasn't been solved?

message 15: by Deb (new)

Deb | 48 comments I think someone (Lisa maybe?) was confused by Karin's followup query being solved, but the original poster's question was not solved.

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica | 47 comments Karin's book was found, but the original poster's was not yet identified. I don't think it should be in solved.

message 17: by Lisa (last edited Jun 02, 2009 05:16PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Thanks everybody. Yes, I was the culprit. I've moved it back to the unsolved folder.

Edit: At least I think it was me, and I do apologize.

message 18: by Angela (new)

Angela | 62 comments Maybe "A Witch's Garden" by Miriam Young (1976);

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/75...

The witch's name is Meeghan.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40227 comments Mod
Lioba, are you still looking for this book?

message 20: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
I sent Lioba a PM, since s/he hasn't replied in a long time. S/he is still active in GR, so hopefully we'll hear something back.

message 21: by Lioba (new)

Lioba | 6 comments Yes, I am still looking for the book. I don't have regular internet access other than on my phone and that makes it a bit difficult to keep track of everything. Thanks for all the replies! I'm checking out "A Witch's Garden" now. :)

message 22: by Lioba (new)

Lioba | 6 comments Just checked it out again. "A Witch's Garden" might be the book I'm looking for but so far I haven't found much information about it, let alone a German copy of it... :)

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40227 comments Mod
Lioba, still looking?

message 24: by Lioba (new)

Lioba | 6 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Lioba, still looking?"

Not actively at the moment - but yes, still looking.

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
You can bump this thread every month or so, or longer. This will keep your search close to the top of the list where more people are likely to see it.

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine | 141 comments Just came across The Witch's Garden, by Lidia Postma. Published in Amsterdam, I think, so maybe there's a German translation?

message 27: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36076 comments Mod
The Witch's Garden by Lidia Postma - Christine's suggestion

message 28: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21051 comments Still looking, Lioba?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wise Child (other topics)
The Witch's Garden (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lidia Postma (other topics)