Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Authors > Christopher Moore

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture I was assured by a few people that his books were hilarious. I read Island of the Sequined Love Nut and thought it was fair at best. Since then I've tried Fluke, Lamb, and one about Wolf something or the other. I couldn't finish any of them. Not funny and not well written either. Has anyone else trid any Christopher Moore books?

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 136 comments Mod
I read A Dirty Job last year. It was fun, to be sure, but by the end I had concluded that Christopher Moore writes books for Christopher Moore. Which is fine in itself, but since I'm excluded from the intended audience I don't think I will read any more. A Dirty Job had all these unnecessary sex scenes and the ending was a ludicrous male fantasy. I wasn't offended by it per se, but it left me personally unsatisfied.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I have read all but one of his books (I can't get my hands on a copy of Island) and I like them for his unique storytelling. I like his style, but not always the content. I admit Fluke was way out there and not one I enjoyed, but it seems that he gets better as he writes. I loved Blood Sucking Fiends and it's sequel You Suck. I liked Dirty Job and The Stupidest Angel. I certainly can't read two in a row by him, but I do look for his new releases. He reminds me of a paranormal Carl Hiaasen.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I just recently started picking up Christopher Moore, and I have no clue why I waited so long to do so.

My first CM experience was The Stupidest Angel, which I read around xmas time, and I thought it was great! Funny, b-movie-ish.... just up my alley.

So then I picked up Lamb...Errr... I thought it was ok, certainly not AWful, but it didnt live up to the Angel level of craziness. Then again, it was about JESUS aka Joshua. I thought Biff (Joshuas BFF) added alot of saracasm and wit to the story.

Now I am on the last 20 pages or so of A Dirty Job... loving it!! I think this is climbing up the list of favorites for me. I love the whole Death Merchant vs Sewer Harpies thing.

I guess he is quickly becoming a fave author for me. His stuff is not meant to be taken seriously by any means, and he does have a strange sense of humor, but it is definetly one I enjoy. I have also bought BloodSucking Feinds... looking foward to reading that one as well.

---> from what i gather, some of his older novels (Practical Demonkeeping, Fluke, Island..) may not be quite as polished as his newer ones... I have not read any of those yet however, but hope to eventually!

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina | 17 comments I tried reading "practical Guide to Demon Keeping" years ago and couldn't get into it. I am thinking about trying it again. "Dirty Job" just looks like too much fun not to give a go at.

message 6: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Christopher Moore is a weird one. I love him/hate him. I read "Lamb," "Fluke," and "The Stupidest Angel," then got overloaded on one-liners and old man sex scenes :) That being said, I might just think the one-liners are tired because I have used them myself!

message 7: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture OK, well I guess I'm in the minority here. I could definitely see he was quirky....I guess his books just aren't my cup o' tea.

message 8: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 3 comments I've only read Bloodsucking Fiends and I didn't find it as humorous as people had told me. I liked it enough that I recently bought Lamb and will give that a shot soon. I'd say as of right now his writing is at least interesting enough for me to give him another shot.

message 9: by Guy (last edited Feb 11, 2008 11:12AM) (new)

Guy Re: Jenn
Bloodsucking Fiends is my least favorite of his novels. Lamb, however, I feel is one of the best books I have ever read, humor or otherwise. If you don't enjoy Lamb, then I would think it just wasn't meant to be.

message 10: by Guy (last edited Feb 11, 2008 11:14AM) (new)

Guy Re:Christina
Dirty Job is my second favorite of his novels. It is absolutely, laugh out loud, snort-worthy hilarity. I hope you give it a shot and enjoy it.

message 11: by Sean (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) Sense of humor is one of those things where it's tough to judge. My parents hate every movie I think is funny. I hate the movies they like. I think it says something about you (neither negative nor positive, mind you) when people look at what you see as funny.

I've never found Woody Allen movies all that hilarious, though I enjoy his writing.

For my money, "Lamb" was by far the funniest book I've ever read. When I meet people who don't like it, I usually find that they don't have a broad enough knowledge background to appreciate all the jokes. It's like Dennis Miller's routines--people who hate Dennis Miller usually do so because they don't have a clue what he's talking about.

I'm a Moore fan. I like his characters and his absurdity. I like his sense of humor. If you don't, I shouldn't think you should "loathe" the man's work...maybe just say that it's not your cup of tea.

message 12: by Guy (new)

Guy I am sure that I didn't understand 95% of the biblical references in Lamb, as I am an apathetic agnostic, but I still thought it was the funniest book I have ever read.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 29 comments For an on-line group I read "Stupidest Angel" and the consensus was that it wasn't as great as we'd thought it would be. Interestingly, someone (a major Moore fan) found our discussion and basically called us bad readers and lacking in humor and other things because we'd not enjoyed it!

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 10 comments As a HUGE Chris Moore fangirl (on his bbs), I actually was shocked his name was on this list. Ah well, to each his own. I find him absolutely histerical and I always have to go out and buy everything he writes right away.

I have to agree with some of the above posts though. Sense of Humor is something that only you can gauge for yourself. If you didn't find them funny, then ah well.

message 15: by Blaise (new)

Blaise (blaiseh) No, I really loathe him too. It's funny that FANS comment on the loathing page, rather than fellow loathers. How weird.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 27 comments I read Lamb at the behest of a then-boyfriend whose taste was questionable. I found it a decent beach read, and it didn't lead me to pick up anything else he's written. The boyfriend has long since fallen by the wayside, as has Christopher Lamb for me. The covers make is books look like formulaic easy reads a la Carl Hiassen, a good point in there and some marvelous turns of phrase but ultimately lightweight.

message 17: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (thisistanyaf) | 5 comments I've attempted to get through "Blood Sucking Fiends." Each time I pick it up (found a copy at Goodwill), I'll read a page or two and put it down because my brain reacts to it with an equivalent of a blank look. I *get* the humor he's aiming at: I just don't find it funny. But beyond the humor, I actually don't really find his style of writing that great. I think definitely it's one of this you either love it, or hate it kind of things. I feel the same way about Tom Robbins, John Irwing, Wally Lamb - they are all authors that a lot of people like, who aren't wholly bad, but having given a dedicated try, I dislike all of their works.