The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations & Voting > Nominate here for Summer 2009's Selection

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Apr 15, 2009 11:02AM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
O.K., guys. Last summer, we picked one long book to read over the months of June, July, and August rather than picking one for each month. Let's nominate two per person here from the classics list. (As always, please choose from the list in the above thread entitled * Nomination lists). Books suited for summer reading, in my opinion, would be longer books that we wouldn't normally attempt to tackle in one month. Or even more difficult ones. Last summer's selection was The Count of Monte Cristo. Some examples might be....Anna Karenina, Vanity Fair, or Crime and Punishment.

Nominations close at midnight 4/22/09. Happy Nominating! :)

message 2: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Apr 15, 2009 11:07AM) (new)

1. The Sound and the Fury (not so long, but difficult)
2. Anna Karenina

message 3: by Yusra Zainab Laghari (last edited Apr 17, 2009 08:08AM) (new)

Yusra Zainab Laghari (yusrazainab) | 5 comments 1. War and peace (if on the list otherwise Vanity Fair)
2. Anna Karenina

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 16, 2009 01:34AM) (new)

1.David Copperfield
2. Crime and Punishment

(By the way, as my school leaving exams are nearing and my study progress is not as big as I might want it to be, I'll leave the Internet realm until May 29th when my last exam is over. I'll be back in time for the summer reader though and might even manage to join in for the last few days of Cavalier&Klay discussions : ) Have fun guys and don't forget me!! : ))

message 5: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) 1. Vanity Fair
2. Anna Karenina

message 6: by Khizer hussain (new)

Khizer hussain (khizer) | 1 comments Anna Karenina
Anna Frank: The Dairy of a young girl

message 7: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Vanity Fair
The Sound and the Fury

message 8: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 76 comments Vanity Fair
Speak, Memory

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

To those who have nominated Anne Frank:
I have read the book before and it isn't especially long, actually.. It's only 200 pages and it isn't very difficult to read (remember, it's written by a teenage girl.. Here in Germany, it's required reading for 8th graders). So I guess it isn't really an adequate read for 3 months.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Anna Karenina

The Portable Dorothy Parker

message 11: by Joanna (new)

Joanna 1. War & Peace
2. David Copperfield (it's been too long and I will gladly read it again since I enjoyed it so much the first time)

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 283 comments Speak, Memory
David Copperfield

message 13: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

I was thinking the same thing re: Anne Frank. I read it in middle school, and although it might make a great monthly pick, the opportunity to knock a summer epic off your list here only comes once a year. :)

message 15: by Jessica (last edited Apr 16, 2009 10:59PM) (new)

Jessica | 100 comments 1. The Portable Dorothy Parker

2. Hamlet

((I know that Hamlet is not that long but to fully absorb what Shakespeare is saying, in my opinion, it should take a person more than a month to read it.))

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments War & Peace (not sure if it's on the list, seconding Joanna cause I want to, just ignore if otherwise)
Anna Karenina

message 17: by Joanna (new)

Joanna War & Peace isn't on the list, but I think it should be!

Yusra Zainab Laghari (yusrazainab) | 5 comments Alison and Marion, thanks for rectifying. I have changed my nomination.

message 19: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Complete Tales & Poems by Edgar Allan Poe

The others I like have already been nominated... seems redundant.

message 20: by Sarah Mae (new)

Sarah Mae (sarahmae) The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Also, random question, since I was seconding Joanna's War and Peace why isn't it on the list? Rory makes Dean read it? They have a discussion at the bus stop....

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments I agree with whichway did she go? Most of the long books seem to be nominated. Can't wait to get started this summer!

message 23: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audreydeary) | 5 comments Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

message 24: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Audrey, we've already read and discussed both of your nominations. So sorry!

Elizabeth: There were a lot of books that didn't make the WB's Official List, for unknown reasons. But just to stay within a limit, we decided to use the WB's OFFICIAL NOMINATING LIST for our nominations, since it's plenty long enough to keep us going for a while. :)

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganstevens) Anna Karenina.
The Portable Dorothy Parker.

message 26: by Mary-Ann (new)

Mary-Ann (arcticsilence) I am glad to see that Anna Karenina on there, I have it on my "To Read" list. And it just came in today. Glad I'm not the only one who is eager to read it :)

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (vorvesm) | 19 comments I was eager to read Anna Karenina, but I started it a few weeks ago and didn't get past, like, the 15th page. So I'm not so excited, but the summer months would be good to try again haha

message 28: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

closed

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.