historical fiction fans discussion

What's Everyone Reading?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 4 comments I'm half-way through a re-reading of "Catherine, Called Birdy", a YA novel by Karen Cushman. It's probably been ten years since I've read it, but it's still both funny and touching. Definitely one of my "keepers".

What's everyone else reading these days?

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna I just started Bucking the Sun A Novel by Ivan Doig. Set in Montana during the building of the Fort Peck Dam by the WPA it is a timely subject today.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (mamallama) | 8 comments Donna wrote: "I just started Bucking the Sun A Novel by Ivan Doig. Set in Montana during the building..."

I haven't read this one yet, but I did read "The Whistling Season" by the same author. It was great!

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (mamallama) | 8 comments I'm still reading "Scarlet" by Stephen Lawhead. Still on the fence if it's historical fiction or not, but I think yes with some fantasy thrown in.

message 5: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) I am reading The Blackened Canteen by Jerry Yellin. It is very good. Set during WWII it tells of 23 airmen who lost their lives during a mid-air collision over Japan and how one Japanese man took it upon himself to bury the remains of the airmen next to the remains of his own neighbors who were killed by bombs released by these very men. Mr. Yellin writes a powerful and inspiring tale told in a very readable manner. I cannot recommend it enough.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) I'm reading Memorial to the Duchess by Jocelyn Kettle, about Alice Chaucer, Duchess of Suffolk.

message 7: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) I am reading The Rose of Sebastopol - an unusual and vivid historical novel tracks a feverish love triangle/mystery across the battlefields of the Crimean War (description taken from Barnes & Noble). So far, so good.

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I just finished The Notebooks of Don Rigoberto. Now I am reading Arrogance A Novel. Both are about the artist Schiele and other issues too. BOTH are more directed to adults. Llosa's book drove me crazy b/c parts I adored and parts I hated. When Rigoberto goes on and on about independence and religion and other big issues well it sounds like complete sophistry, but when he depicts relationships, Schiele and sex it is incredible. Also I was happy to read my first book by Llosa. Arrogance is just on Schiele, what happened to him and how he felt and what motivated him. It is beautifully written. The style fits the subject. Marvelous historical fiction. I am wondering if there is a thread about artists in historical fiction novels. I am very new to the group! This is the first time I have commented.

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Tracy wrote: "Donna wrote: "I just started Bucking the Sun A Novel by Ivan Doig. Set in Montana during the building..."

I haven't read this one yet, but I did read "The Whistling Season" by t..."

Tracy, me too! I adored

The Whistling Season Donna, I guess I should try Bucking the Sun A Novel. Thanks for the tip.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 5 comments Just read The Mummy Case, by Elizabeth Peters, a historical mystery set in Victorian Egypt. A fun series.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (mamallama) | 8 comments Chrissie wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Donna wrote: "I just started Bucking the Sun A Novel by Ivan Doig. Set in Montana during the building..."

I haven't read this one yet, but I did read "The Whistlin..."

I enjoyed The Whistling Season also and I'm now reading The Eleventh Man by the same author. I guess it would also be considered historical fiction. It's set during WWII. Pretty good so far!

message 12: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Tracy, when I read a new author I only add one book at a time. If I like the first I add another. Unfortunately what happens is that I also like testing new authors so I don't always read another immediately! Please say what you think about it when you are done!

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (deeshihady) I'm reading The Private Diaries of Josephine B (Bonaparte). Interesting...not riveting but interesting. :)

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (deeshihady) Halee wrote: "I'm reading Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran. Also, I just finish reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Both books are very excellent!!! I'm enjoying reading both..."

How is that so far (Cleopatra's Daughter)? I almost bought that book a week ago and was wondering.

Dee

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 5 comments Currently reading Treason, by David Nevin, which is about Aaron Burr's naughtiness at Blenerhasset's Isle. Narrators include James and Dolley Madison, Burr, and a soldier now working as a government clerk.

message 16: by Marie (new)

Marie Burton (marieburton2004) Reading Now: The Matchmaker of Kenmare by Frank Delaney
So far an interesting tale of people regarding journeys during WWII beginning in Ireland, a bit of a different perspective than I am used to.