Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
This topic is about The Lightning Thief
The Lightning Thief Discussions > What do you think of the Lightning Thief so far? Any special things to mention about it?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lauren (llg132) | 5 comments Just say what you feel about the book and what's your favorite part of it so far. (Don't spoil anything from later though!)

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Personally I love the appearance of all the characters from mythology!

Anna I have read the first 50 pages (I have a long car ride tomorrow so I can read more chapters). I liked how Percy realized that being "different" wasn't a liability, but an asset.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the book!! It got me seriously into Greek Mythology. So into it, it has become my religion.

Celestasaurus I'm loving it!
I think just about anyone likes reading about Greek mythology, and I'm no different.

I agree with Angie, too. I love hearing about gods and goddesses and how they're important to this story. There's also the Fury and the Fates. . . satyrs and naiads. . . . half-gods and their quests. . .

Lauren (llg132) | 5 comments I loved the book so much I read it within two days while I was on vacation! I'm on the 3rd book know. Though it's no suprise since I am a total mythology nerd.

message 7: by Ann (last edited Apr 16, 2009 07:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments Lolo wrote: "I loved the book so much I read it within two days while I was on vacation! I'm on the 3rd book know. Though it's no suprise since I am a total mythology nerd."

My knowledge of mythology is SADLY lacking (something I need to fix!) so, do you find that Riordan stays true to mythological characters and creatures? At least overall? I'm guessing he took some liberties with Tyson? Though, I think that was the point... (I've only read the first two books so far)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 43 comments I think he keeps the "spirit" of each pretty true

Lynne (lmsindel) | 42 comments Ann wrote: "Lolo wrote: "I loved the book so much I read it within two days while I was on vacation! I'm on the 3rd book know. Though it's no suprise since I am a total mythology nerd."

My knowledge of mythol..."

If you want a great book of "true" mythology, check out Edith Hamilton's "Mythology". It's a classic and very readable.

Ralph Gallagher | 53 comments I loved this book. I'm a big fan of Greek Mythology and this book really makes it come alive. A lot of the mythology Riordan uses is accurate too - not a bunch of made up things. It seems well researched and thought out. I can't wait until the next book in the series comes out!

Mikaela (loverdogmish) if any1 cares there is a whole percy jackson geeks group.... hahaha.... the series is addicting hahaha.. i got my little sis hooked :)

message 12: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I saw that there were groups on here from Percy Jackson... lots of role playing groups too. Though I don't really know what that's all about.

Melyssa | 30 comments I like the whole being a daughter or son of a god twist. I think it makes the story more exciting.

I only wished the book was a bit longer, because it felt like at the end, it all just came together too quickly.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 43 comments ANd I like the appearances of the Gods in the story

message 15: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments Melyssa wrote: "I like the whole being a daughter or son of a god twist. I think it makes the story more exciting."

I agree, Melyssa. I though it was a unique take to the hero-quest YA books. Brought a different set of "rules" for the world. ;>

message 16: by Haelhaelhael (last edited Sep 30, 2009 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haelhaelhael | 2 comments Melyssa wrote: "I like the whole being a daughter or son of a god twist. I think it makes the story more exciting.

I only wished the book was a bit longer, because it felt like at the end, it all just came toget..."

Though I'm only in book two, when I realized that there are five books only, I hope that it'll go beyond that. I'm trying to savor it while I still can so I'm reading it rather slowly though the excitement kills me. x)

Do you guys think that there'll be a chance for book 6? Or really no chance at all?

message 17: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments I don't know. I'm only on book 2 also;>

message 18: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I wish there was going to be a book 6 but I think that the author will probably start a new series.

message 19: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments :( bummer... well, hopefully the next series will be just as good;)

Brigid ✩ Yeah, I think he's writing a second series. I'll miss the Percy Jackson characters :( but hopefully the new series will be good. :)

message 21: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments Hm... I must check out this new series! :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

The 2nd series sounds just as good as the 1st