What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Young Reader book about a kid solving the murder of a ghost he meets

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (fandomfamily) I have been trying to remember this book for years and can not figure it out for the life of me. I only remember a few, but very distinct details about the story.

It was a story about a kid(I don't remember if it was a boy or a girl but I think it was a boy) who moves to this new town and starts seeing a ghost of a kid in his house and possibly at his school. Some of the scenes I remember are that the mother figure is doing a paint by numbers and it was supposed to be a ship but instead it ended up being the ghost kid, who is dressed in little boys sailor type uniform. The school that the mc attends is very old and several stories high. There were two main entrances that when it was first built were entrances for the boys and the girls to use separately. There is also a fire escape slide that goes from the tip floor of the school, and the mc actually uses it at one point and it transports him back in time in a sort of flash back.

One more detail that i remember is the ending of the book, so I am posting a *****SPOILER WARNING****** right now:
Since the main character is trying to find out how the ghost boy died, he figures out that there is a secret room behind a painting in the library that no one new about. The ghost boy, when he was alive, somehow got in there and couldn't get out so he died in there. They found the kid's remains in there after the mc figured it out and the ghost boy was able to move on in peace.

*****END SPOILER******

Any help would be awesome! :)d

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
NO idea Jess but this will efinately be joining my collection of kids' mysteries when it id id'ed.

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments I'm almost positive I've read this book. I thought it was Zilpha Keatley Snyder at first, but I don't see a match in her titles. Let me think about this some more...

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (fandomfamily) I am not sure if that is it. I'll have to take a look more into the ending of that book.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (fandomfamily) Unfortunately those aren't it either. :/

message 7: by Cornelia (new)

Cornelia Shields | 51 comments You can rule out "The Ghost Belonged to Me," by Richard Peck, though that is a good one.

message 8: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments School Spirits School Spirits by Michael O. Tunnell

If not, when did you read this book?

message 9: by Sallie (new)

Sallie (salliev) | 28 comments "Something Upstairs" by Avi?
Caleb, the ghost in Kenny's house, died in the attic.

"A ghost story of redeeming social value: when 12-year-old Kenny Huldorf moves with his family to Providence, Rhode Island, he finds himself embroiled in the century-old murder of a teenage slave named Caleb. Not only is Kenny haunted by the injustice of the murder, but also by the ghost of Caleb himself, who summons Kenny back in time to the early 19th Century, where the boy must solve Caleb's murder to return to his own century. How Kenny does this is the stuff of a somber and ambiguous conclusion upon which Avi intrudes himself as a character as he has earlier done at the book's beginning"
School Library Journal

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) Jessica, did you check out Christina's Ghost yet? I actually own it but I just moved and most of my books are still packed up. I'll look and see if I can find it when I get home from work tonight and re-read it.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) "Books in boxes?! Set them loose!" ;)

Of course moving is a hassle. But the fact that books have to get boxed and aren't a huge priority to unpack saddens me every time.

(bump)

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) Oh, unpacking them is a priority, not having enough shelves to put them on is a problem! lol I did actually see Christina's Ghost on the shelf in my living room but things are crazy at work and I haven't had time to pick it up yet. I'll try to get to it tonight.

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

(shuddering) Please people, let's not talk about packing up books for moves. I'm thinking about moving and the idea of packing up my books has me asking myself if it really is a good idea or not.

On the other hand, warmer state, new house, less hassle from my brother about visits. . . But then we come back to packing up all my babies and being without them while waiting for my house to sell and for us to get to a new house.

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Oh, and I'm going to say--I don't think that Christina's Ghost is the correct book. But only Jessica can say for sure.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) :smiles of empathy: for Cindy and Ann.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38146 comments Mod
Jessica has left the group. Moving to Abandoned.