The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

416 views
How does being a book addict help you in life?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by yusuke (new)

yusuke | 13 comments Talk about how it gives you an advantage in life and at work. Reading helps me so much in my academics, and I am very grateful for that.


message 2: by Yassemin (new)

Yassemin (yas666) | 56 comments It does help with academics and in my profession where I have to be as literate as I can be with my writing / speaking because it infinitely increases vocabularly etc. There are much worse things to be addicted to :)


message 3: by Lyndsay (new)

Lyndsay MacDonald it provides your brain with new experiences to consider... and definitely increases vocabulary. it's also a good way to unwind at the end of the day, i like to read for a bit at night before going to bed. it takes my mind off of whatever stresses have occurred during my day... or even if there were none, it's still something different than the every day humdrum.


message 4: by Bread (new)

Bread (etchmaymay) | 30 comments I got into honors English because I have an extensive vocabulary, not to mention I've even started writing my own book series! Reading has been an extraordinary choice for me. I despise when people say they hate reading because I truly don't understand it. Why choose a life without reading when your life can become so enriched with it!


message 5: by Mekerei (new)

Mekerei | 37 comments When I was younger I passed a School Certificate History (an exam in New Zealand). We had a new teacher (from England) and out of the prescribed subjects he taught us that year only one was in the exam (out of four). I was reading a lot of historical dramas at that time and I was the only one in the class to pass.

I do well in quiz teams, because I read lots and lots of different types of genre; great for history, geography and science.


message 6: by Tee (new)

Tee Jeopardy.
It helps me win at Jeopardy ;)


message 7: by Laura-Beth (new)

Laura-Beth When I lost my job and literally didn't have two pounds to rub together, I broke my elbow and was stuck at home for a few weeks. I felt so low so I went to the library and got a stack of books I'd been meaning to read but never had time to. It turned out to be the best few weeks ever :)


Banana_destroyer ELEPHANT (blahhhh) | 4 comments It helps with my imagination, which i hope to use when i become a writter :3 and it gives me a better view on life and how i hope not to live in the future with those evil robots and deadly diseases :3


message 9: by Katelyn (last edited Mar 25, 2013 04:40AM) (new)

Katelyn | 27 comments Being a Reader keeps me sane. I spent most of the weekend reading. Sometimes I need a weekend like this to enjoy myself. I can't get enough. I can't wait for summer!

In my early childhood years I hated reading due to the fact I had a lot of trouble reading. It wasn't really till 8th grade when I read to kill a mocking bird. That is when I really started to get into it.


message 10: by Kimi (new)

Kimi (hateeverybeautifulday) I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder, & reading helps me relax properly, and escape from the dark thoughts and bad feelings. It helps so much, that my therapist recommended getting up 30-45 mins earlier each day to have some 'me time' with a book, & it actually helps. The days I don't get to read in the mornings are the worse ones.

I also find it has increased my vocabulary A LOT. When I was a kid, my parents always encouraged me to ask what a word means if I don't know it, and it was because of this that I ended up reading Great Expectations aged 8!


message 11: by Mochaspresso (new)

Mochaspresso  | 27 comments The first time a book ever helped me academically was in elementary school. We were studying Westward Expansion and one of the topics was frontier life. I'd read the Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House..." books and they were extremely helpful. My tweenaged infatuation with historical romances helped me keep the kings and queens of England and France straight in HS history classes. It also helped me with the various battles of the American Civil War.

Unfortunately, I never chose any fiction books that could have helped me with math. I had to study and practice for those classes.


message 12: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Nandlal I think reading helps you escape from reality and to me that is a good thing. My mind always seems to be on the fast track but reading helps me to slow down and focus on something that isn't negative.

Additionally, it helps me with my writing and it is just plain fun!


message 13: by Jini (new)

Jini Maxin | 2 comments It helps develop new perspectives in life. You start looking at things from the Author's eye. Simply put, books help you lead better lives.


message 14: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown Mekerei wrote: "When I was younger I passed a School Certificate History (an exam in New Zealand). We had a new teacher (from England) and out of the prescribed subjects he taught us that year only one was in the ..."

Second this. Great for TV quiz shows. Well, most of the time.


message 15: by yusuke (new)

yusuke | 13 comments Mochaspresso wrote: "The first time a book ever helped me academically was in elementary school. We were studying Westward Expansion and one of the topics was frontier life. I'd read the Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little ..."
I know what you mean. But think of it this way, because of being a book addict, you've gain tremendous reading abilities. You are able to comprehend that math textbook very well because of it. So it still helps indirectly even for math classes. :)


message 16: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pearson I think reading a lot helps you to empathise. As a reader you are used to seeing something from another's point of view, even if you don't fully agree with their viewpoint, you understand it. I think that is an extremely useful skill to have in real life.


message 17: by D (new)

D B | 9 comments Reading helps me to empathize, escape, and understand meanings of different words. I love being able to transport myself into and place without using an airplane or bus. I get to view different states, cities and cultures without having to actually be there. I get to view others position on things and understand ppl better. I love learning new words and using them in my own writing.


message 18: by Jo (new)

Jo Hogarth | 6 comments keeps you busy - so refraining from other more serious addictions ; )


message 19: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Diamoy (jerryberryboy) An addiction to books is probably the healthiest addiction I can think of. It's an addiction to learning, and the never ending search for knowledge. And as we know, knowledge is power.


message 20: by Patricia (last edited Mar 25, 2013 04:23PM) (new)

Patricia (deathserum) Reading makes me a lot more articulate and it expands my vocabulary. It also helps me analyse things better. So reading really helps with my essays at school and with my language and vocabulary.


message 21: by Thoughtmix (new)

Thoughtmix | 6 comments Reading has been an integral part of my life and has improved it for many reasons. I have learned life skills, become stronger academically, have learned how to make more sense of the world, have learned how to deal with people more effectively, have learned how to interpret things, and learned how to have a release through the escape of reading. I also enjoy writing and reading fuels that passion so it brings me enjoyment both directly and indirectly.


message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary | 15 comments It gives me a sense of peace, and sometimes you learn how to live life by reading about someone else's experiences, fictional or otherwise.


message 23: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 26, 2013 06:06PM) (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments I have always felt as a serious book lover that we owe a lot to authors who struggle against self-doubt and have to persevere against all odds to simply get their works published. It is through their eyes that the reader is transported to lands where we would never think to go, whether it is through fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction, biographies or escapist romances.
We become immersed into the novel and form attachments to our favourite characters and then we journey with them and see the world (or other worlds) through their eyes. We feel their pain, their joys and their aspirations and now and again our hearts leap for joy when the character that we have vested our hope in eventually overcomes all obstacles and gains the happy ending we wanted them to have. Or they will simply discover who they really are and become strengthened by all that they have endured.
In this day and age where conversation is becoming a dying art-Words become powerful and sometimes speak a language that we are in danger of losing. Ask yourself when was the last time you had a really heartfelt and meaningful conversation with someone?
The written word reaches the deep recesses of our hearts and our own hopes and desires become interwoven with the characters we read about. We can at times dislike them and become angry at the path they have chosen, but we never become bored with them.
So thank you Harper Lee for Atticus and Scout Finch, for teaching me that life isn't always fair, but to strive for justice anyway despite the odds.
Thank you Margaret Mitchell for Scarlett and Rhett and the dangers of selfish choices which could cost us all we love.
Thank you Sharon Kay Penman for bringing to life the struggles of Wales through the lives of the Welsh Princes from Llewelyn the Great to the tragic Llewelyn the Last and even Daffydd who teaches us that no-one is beyond redemption.
Thank you Susan Kay for Erik who became a Phantom because the world is in love with beauty and that perhaps one day we will not judge others by how they appear.
Thank you J.K. Rowling for introducing Harry Potter and his world where love does prevail and not every good person will make it, but their lives meant something to someone and their loss is felt; and for leading so many to the joys of reading.
My heroes are authors who put everything on the line because they believe and trust in us, the reader......


message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) It definitely made school easier. English, and to a lesser extent history, were easier, because I'd already grasped much of what my teachers were talking about.
As far as real life, reading helps me unwind better than using the computer or listening to music.


message 25: by Ghostmode (new)

Ghostmode (ghostmodegoth) | 1 comments Reading helps transport me to other places. It helps me relax, and not stress over a current issue. It helps me break away from everything and everyone, which is often what I'm needing.
I love reading for different reasons, learning about new things and researching different subjects of interest.
Reading helps me be a better writer(not that I've written anything in a while besides blogging).
I could also just possibly be addicted to the smell of books. ;)


message 26: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 10 comments It helps me with stress and when I'm reading I feel like i'am in a different place and I put myself in the characters shoes, it helps to do this.( it depends on the characters situation) but if it's sad I realize how lucky i'am and if it's happy, love, erotic, fun ect. I just go along with it and image life like theirs. It's great reading a book wouldn't live without it.


message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily Craven (emilycraven) | 21 comments Rebecca wrote: "I have always felt as a serious book lover that we owe a lot to authors who struggle against self-doubt and have to persevere against all odds to simply get their works published. It is through the..."

Wow, that's lovely!!

I was just going to say that I am never bored, ever. Because I always have a hundred friends ready to greet me from the page. What you said was much better.


message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments Emily wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I have always felt as a serious book lover that we owe a lot to authors who struggle against self-doubt and have to persevere against all odds to simply get their works published. I..."

Thank you Emily and like you I have hundreds of friends as my bulging book shelves testify.:)


message 29: by Iz (new)

Iz Alcausin (izalcausin) | 28 comments Reading is my stress reliever. It also helps me escape from reality in times when I'm in a really bad mood. :)


message 30: by yusuke (new)

yusuke | 13 comments Emily wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I have always felt as a serious book lover that we owe a lot to authors who struggle against self-doubt and have to persevere against all odds to simply get their works published. I..."

Ya, Emily. Books are really our true friends. They entertain us and help us succeed in life. They are just amazing. :')


message 31: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown Rebecca wrote: "I have always felt as a serious book lover that we owe a lot to authors who struggle against self-doubt and have to persevere against all odds to simply get their works published. It is through the..."

As an author myself, I can say that is a great post. As a reader, I get fed up when my favourite authors are not churning out 6 books a year. How dare they have a family life! :)


message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments Thank you R M F and yes how dare an author even sleep LOL!


message 33: by Kath (new)

Kath Castán (kathyacastan) | 8 comments Because never feel alone and my imagination flies with them.


message 34: by Mia (new)

Mia | 49 comments http://www.tickld.com/t/54217

^

I assume everyone else feels exactly the same way...


message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 5 comments I agree with what most of you said... It's really of great help in Acads especially since I major in Communication. During my "not-so-good" times, reading keeps me sane... As Belle put it, books are filled with "Magic words where the impossible becomes the everyday"


message 36: by Dean (last edited Mar 28, 2013 11:25PM) (new)

Dean MacAllister (deanmacallister) Reading can be dangerous. One moment you're reading socially...next you're selling your grandmas furniture in some back-alleyway for a short story....


message 37: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Mugerwa (corrosivemind) How does being a book addict help you in life? Well for one, It took me out of my childhood depression, opened a whole new world that I am forever living in. My perspective on so many things has been nurtured though reading. I am a great story teller, very imaginative all through reading.


message 38: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Perry | 229 comments I think for me it was that the books were my only friends since there were no children in my grade in my hollow. I was sort of a loner. Books and literature gave me confidence and pride.


message 39: by Amee (new)

Amee | 99 comments Well forget all the stress in my life when i'm reading a book.,


message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael (lovechild) | 280 comments Dean wrote: "Reading can be dangerous. One moment you're reading socially...next you're selling your grandmas furniture in some back-alleyway for a short story...."

Oh I need a good laugh, thank you Dean.


message 41: by Michael (new)

Michael (lovechild) | 280 comments Never feeling alone even if you are and when I am not alone due to my love of reading it seem easy to tell a hell of story. =)


message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

It helps extend the creativity and the imagination of my mind since my imaginations don't really extend much...
I also have terrible memory which is a problem and books help me memorize certain parts which makes it easier when I study.


message 43: by Eli (last edited Mar 31, 2013 06:32AM) (new)

Eli | 8 comments I learnt to read when I was five, and since I've always had trouble to fit in and interact with my peers, my books were my friends and my own world. When I'm sad I still tend to escape in fantasy a lot and of course literature helps. It helped me carrying on when I was bullied in middle school and it was like a safe place to retreat to forget about everything.

Also it helped me learn a lot of things, since I've always been a learner. When I was little I would pick a subject and learn everything I could about it and read everything I could... Actually I still do that c:

Now reading helps me forget about stress and relaxes me, and also makes my imagination work, and imagining/daydreaming is my favourite thing to do


message 44: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 215 comments Eli wrote: "I learnt to read when I was five, and since I've always had trouble to fit in and interact with my peers, my books were my friends and my own world. When I'm sad I still tend to escape in fantasy a..."
I too struggle to get along with others as well as having some learning differences but that has never stop me from reading and learning new things. books help me when ever I am feeling stressed out and they are able to calm me allowing me to enter a world that is not my own for the time being.


message 45: by Eli (new)

Eli | 8 comments Janessa wrote: "Eli wrote: "I learnt to read when I was five, and since I've always had trouble to fit in and interact with my peers, my books were my friends and my own world. When I'm sad I still tend to escape ..."
I have learning differences too :) (dyspraxia). But yeah I agree


message 46: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 42 comments 1. You always have something interesting to add to a conversation.

2. You understand the people around you because you understand that every moment of every day, they are unconsciously writing their own stories to explain the world.

3. Readers tend to have more empathy, and that can only help the world.


message 47: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 42 comments Rebecca wrote: "I have always felt as a serious book lover that we owe a lot to authors who struggle against self-doubt and have to persevere against all odds to simply get their works published. It is through the..."

In a word? YES. Beautifully expressed.


message 48: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 215 comments Eli wrote: "Janessa wrote: "Eli wrote: "I learnt to read when I was five, and since I've always had trouble to fit in and interact with my peers, my books were my friends and my own world. When I'm sad I still..."
Would you say reading has helped you some what in your learning differences. I know it has for me.


message 49: by Eli (new)

Eli | 8 comments Janessa wrote: "Eli wrote: "Janessa wrote: "Eli wrote: "I learnt to read when I was five, and since I've always had trouble to fit in and interact with my peers, my books were my friends and my own world. When I'm..."
Oh yes, yes it did, tremendously. It allowed me to pass everything at school because I was excellent at literature and it would make up for the terrible grades in maths and sports :). And in history clases I mostly learnt by reading too.


message 50: by Holly (new)

Holly Spore (hspore) | 4 comments As a child, I began reading as an escape from my reality. As an adult, I continue to read to fulfill an unquenched desire for adventure and a life beyond my own.


« previous 1
back to top