♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)
This topic is about Clockwork Princess
Past Reads > Clockwork Princess

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Apr 30, 2013 11:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
Clockwork Princess (Infernal Devices #3) by Cassandra Clare

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.

What did you think of the end of Clockwork Princess?!?!?!?

T.J. | 109 comments I haven't finished the book but I read the ending...I LOVE EVERYTHING SO FAR AND I'LL SURVIVE! Though I did not much care for the epilogue...despised it, in fact. (Even though I didn't read it all but I got the gist.)

message 3: by Lo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lo (darkalleycookies) | 24 comments I AM SO MAD. The ending was ridiculous! It was my least favorite of all Cassandra Clare's books

message 4: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

I loved the epilogue! But I hated everything else. I guess I should just be happy that eventually she ends up with Jem but I'm still bitter she was with Will at all especially first!

Tara Will's death in the epilogue. Oh my god, it killed me, that ending, so bittersweet, I don't know If I should love it or hate it

message 6: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm just hoping Tessa & Jem will show up in the Dark Artifices!!! After all that Jem went through (I have a pile of tissue to prove my pain over him) I would like to see more of him happy!

message 7: by Lo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lo (darkalleycookies) | 24 comments Jennifer wrote: "I'm just hoping Tessa & Jem will show up in the Dark Artifices!!! After all that Jem went through (I have a pile of tissue to prove my pain over him) I would like to see more of him happy!"

I really, really hope they don't. Seeing Tessa and Jem together long after Will's death will kill me. God.

message 8: by Beatrix (last edited Mar 21, 2013 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) SPOILERS.

The ending peeved me off. Actually, when Tessa slept with Will, THAT peeved me off. Many reasons behind my anger:

1. Will found out a few nights prior that his parabatai died. Jem. Jem had just died. Jem was basically Will's world. Jem was always there for him, Jem was Will's other half, and they shared the same soul because they're PARABATAI. All logic was forgotten the moment he saw Tessa.

2. Tessa found out HOURS PRIOR that her FIANCE just died. Great. Will and Tessa talked about their grief and heartache. Then Tessa asks Will to kiss her because he's going into battle the next day and he might not make it out alive? Oh no, but it doesn't stop there. After some kissing, they causally migrate over to the bed. All the winds a sail from there.

3. Just to recap, Tessa was prepared to marry Jem the moment she saw Will, before she found out Jem had died.

4. When they kissed/had sex, it was as though they didn't even regard Jem with respect. If they wanted to get together? Fine. But honestly, they need to work on their timing, at least wait a month, at least wait until your CREMATE JEM'S BODY BEFORE YOU GET TOGETHER.

5. They did it anyway. Good riddance.

And then focusing on the actual ending, Tessa and Jem got together 70 years after Will passed on. Awh, it's nice that Jem loved her for this long. Awh, it's nice that Tessa loves Jem still. But awh, it WASN'T so nice that they didn't even think about discussing the fact of the matter, that Jem's parabatai's dead and Tessa's husband is dead, before they get together.

It just breaks my heart that it seemed like there was so little regard given to Jem and Will in correspondence to Tessa getting together with the other. Tessa sleeping with Will was what made me so disappointed and angry, because Jem deserves nothing but goodness and kindness because that IS what he is. He loved Tessa with every ounce of his being, and for Tessa to disregard him days after his death just hurts me. Jem is my favorite character, and he deserves his love to be fully returned. And Will - I believe that he lived a happy life with Tessa and he truly was happy and in love, and it was good that Tessa mourned for him when he died, but it hurts me to see that she didn't think about Will much when she saw Jem again in 2008. The boys deserve a little better, especially Jem (and especially since Jem, being pure goodness and kindness, FORGAVE his fiancee and parabatai for doing what they did without even blinking. And I could just feel the sadness when he realized what had happened, even if he was a Silent Brother then and his emotions were stagnant. He was still upset).

And with that rant, that is my opinion.

message 9: by Lo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lo (darkalleycookies) | 24 comments Thea wrote: "

SPOILERS.

The ending peeved me off. Actually, when Tessa slept with Will, THAT peeved me off. Many reasons behind my anger:

1. Will found out a few nights prior that his parabatai di..."

I ____ING KNOW RIGHT! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT. Even as a loyal Will supporter, I still disagreed with their actions, not b/c I thought it was vulgar but b/c of the exact reasons you said.

I felt like Cassandra Clare was trying to please all her readers by making the ending like that--and failed in doing so. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Beatrix (last edited Mar 21, 2013 05:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) Lo♪ wrote: "I ____ING KNOW RIGHT! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT. Even as a loyal Will supporter, I still disagreed with their actions, not b/c I thought it was vulgar but b/c of the exact reasons you said...."

EXACTLY. I would have been happier if Tessa ended up with Jem (even though I never liked their relationship in the first place) than to have her rebounding off of Will. Good lord.

If I see Jem and Tessa in TDA, married - no - If I see Jem and Tessa in TDA so much so as kiss, I may just have an episode. I think that if Jem stayed as Brother Zachariah, it would have been so much more meaningful. He was the only Silent Brother that connected with PEOPLE on an emotional level because of his past, and now that he's not there, I feel as though the Silent Brothers will be detached from other Shadowhunters (although I think I'm totally jumping the gun on this one).

message 11: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was soooooooooo pissed that Will & Tessa had sex right after Jem's death. That was just despicable!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I already know what's gonna happen and I'm in the middle of the first book...gotta get back to reading that

message 13: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Mar 21, 2013 06:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I know they were doing it as a reaction to their grief but I think it was a bad reaction! They hadn't even attended his funeral yet? And I kind of thought that Will would have made sure he was really dead first because how did he not know that maybe Magnus or someone found a cure that might have broken the parabatai bond. And not just becoming a silent brother but since Magnus does magic some other cure might have separated the bond. I don't know. I was just pissed because Tessa should have slept with Jem!!! LOL I just loathe Will. I've always found him to be very selfish and thoughtless. The one person I felt he truly loved and put before himself and always thought of first was Jem and his actions just made me not believe that anymore. And when Jem said his goodbye to Tessa and Will I was balling crying.

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) I very much wanted to believe that they needed each other and slept with each other PURELY because they were both grieving. I even accepted that explanation as it transpired, however, what happened the following day allowed my doubt to over take that notion. I understand they were hurt and they had to heal their hearts - I'm all for that, because Will and Tessa are so close already that it was only natural that they comfort each other - and that they did something that was perhaps rash to overcome their pain. But the next day, they should at least have some sense to think that, "What did we just do? Jem just died - is this how we're going to remember him?" But instead, Will and Tessa thought it was perfectly fine for them to have acted this way. If I recall correctly, Will didn't think it was a mistake, and that he wouldn't have traded anything to take that night back, and I also recall that Tessa felt the same.

If they had regretted it or at least felt some sort of negativity about what they had just done, then I would have gladly thought that they were truly grieving for Jem. Instead, however, they took it as a way to show their feelings for each other, where they could have shown their affections in another way.

If they truly want to block out any feelings of negativity, sleeping with each other seems - for me, at least - to not be the proper solution. It's as though (putting it very roughly) they're drowning their sorrows with sex.

I know that if I were in Jem's place and I found out that my fiance slept with my best friend, I would be heartbroken. But then, it begs the response that I am not Jem, nor am I anywhere near his kindness and goodness. If I were Tessa, and I claimed to love Jem as much as she did, I would be comforted by Will's presence, but I would not have done what she had done. Then again, it begs the argument that I am not Tessa and I could not possibly understand loving two men equally and how I could ever choose between them (although it was obvious that she loved Will in a different sense than she loved Jem). And, if I were Will, I would take comfort in Tessa and keep Jem alive in my memories instead of disregarding him as such. But even still, I'm not Will, or Jem, or Tessa.

I just would have expected Will, being Jem's parabatai/best friend/brother/and in a literal sense, "soulmate," to have considered how Jem might have felt. Parabatais, during their ceremony as explained in Clockwork Princess, would be there for each other whenever and wherever - even beyond the grave. But I began to question how strong their bond actually is when Will disregarded all that he and Jem had between them the moment he was with Tessa. I suppose this is a totally different story, but I wanted to throw it out there.

I understand where you're coming from, because I was there on your side too, once, before I read more of the book. This whole situation, really, depends on each person, I think.

\Why do I have this habit of writing long-winded posts? /endrant

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) I think if they would have shown any signs of guilt, they would have shown it the morning after they had sex. Will and Tessa, however chose a different route to take. It was either the initial reaction of guilt, or they would never feel it. I don't know.

I guess I'll have the benefit of the doubt that they DID in fact, as you said, felt guilty the days following. I kind of wish that we would be able to read what happened between them, starting from Jem leaving the Institute up to perhaps Will's and Tessa's wedding.

And I'm just going to stop right there before I write another essay. xD

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) Oh dear, I just blushed. :3 It's nice to be able to view issues from multiple perspectives, and I was able to understand the situation in a more rounded matter when I read what you had to say. Thank you as well! :D

message 17: by Astoria (new)

Astoria  (astoriamalfoy) | 4 comments I haven't read it, but a friend sent me the last chapter and the epilogue and I hated it.

message 18: by Lo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lo (darkalleycookies) | 24 comments Thea wrote: "I think if they would have shown any signs of guilt, they would have shown it the morning after they had sex. Will and Tessa, however chose a different route to take. It was either the initial reac..."

Some of you guys are saying it was out of grief, but Tessa and Will spent like 10 seconds grieving and then just jumped into it. I used to love this couple, but now they disgust me.

message 19: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lo♪ wrote: "Some of you guys are saying it was out of grief, but Tessa and Will spent like 10 seconds grieving and then just jumped into it. I used to love this couple, but now they disgust me."

I think Will said something like he held her for hours and she soaked his shirt and then all of a sudden Tessa was like well Jem's dead so hey why don't you kiss me?! Or that is what it felt like. Totally ridiculous. I've always loathed Will and found him to be selfish and thoughtless but to be honest I thought Jem was the one person he thought of more than himself so I was really disappointed. In Tessa too of course. Just after watching Jem & Will have this special friendship/brotherly/parabatai bond I was expecting more from Will.

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I just finished. When I stop being pissed off and angry, I'll form a coherent post.

message 21: by Preethi (last edited Mar 22, 2013 07:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Preethi (itsmepreethi) I didn't like the fact that Tessa stayed young while Will turned into a grandpa. It was kind of weird, and yet I'm still happy that Tessa chose Will. What I really wasn't happy about was the fact that after Will died Tessa decided to go and kiss Jem and most likely marry him. That's just unloyal and not very nice to Will, whether or not he would have wanted it. I used to love Tessa, but now I just see herself throwing herself at everyone. I mean, right after she found out Jem died, boom, she's in bed with Will. What is up with those three?

I still really loved the book 'cause the story was great. I guess Cassandra did a really good job of making sure both Team Jem and Team Will (GO TEAM WILL!!) end up not wanting to kill each other. I think we're at a kind of impasse now.

I'm happy Jem didn't die...but I really wish that Tessa hadn't taken him up on his offer for them to be together. That is pretty much my main regret...

And Thalia, I know exactly what you mean. My emotions were crazy after I read the book. I felt like punching everyone and crying all at the same time :)

message 22: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm sad that Jem wasn't immediately cured. I wanted them to find a cure. I really didn't want to believe the Brother Zachariah theories because I didn't want Jem to suffer that fate for 130 years. I wanted him to be cured and get to marry Tessa. I'm glad he finally gets his happy ending but it is just so sad it is so much later.

message 23: by Funmilayo (new)

Funmilayo Adams | 1 comments whatttttttt....I have not read the book yet but ...you are telling me Jem becomes a silent brother.. Tessa marries will but she later gets back with jem....What...?????

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, so many people have so many opinions. :)
But I'm going to try to make mine make sense.

First: About Will and Tessa having sex after Jem died. I felt that they were leaning on each other, and that they needed each other then. Tessa has been through an awful time, being kidnapped and worried that Will and Jem were already dead. Only Will and Tessa, after Jem died, could really understand each other, because only they had loved Jem like the other had. It was rash, for them to sleep together, but I feel like they did express guilt over it afterwards. Several times through out the rest of the book, Tessa and Will question if they did the right thing. And Jem forgave them.
So I was okay with this.

Second: My friend complained that Tessa couldn't make up her mind, and that she was irritated that she kind of ended up with both of them. But really, I found this to be the only solution I would have been happy with.
To be Parabatai, and be as close as Will and Jem are, is to be almost the same person. And to say that you love Jem and hate Will, or love Will and hate Jem, wouldn't really be loving either of them at all. Will and Jem are two halves of a whole, Parabatai, so to love one, you would have to love the other.
Lots of fun for Tessa.
But this makes the best love triangle. They all love each other, rather than two boys who hate each other and a girl in between. No matter what happens between the three of them, they all love each other so much, that anything could be allowed or forgiven.
I would have been incredibly upset if Tessa had chosen between Will or Jem, and left the other out in the cold. Because then she wouldn't have really loved either of them.
Also: I was happy with the epilogue. I was shocked with what had happened to Jem! He spoke of new things, a new rune by Clary maybe? I think there will be more about that in City of Heavenly Fire or The Dark Artifices...
And, you didn't really expect Tessa to marry Will, live with him, and after he'd died, live alone forever? Because we know that Magnus hasn't done this, but I was never mad at him for it.
I was glad that Tessa loved the both of them, and I thought the ending was perfect.
I hadn't really known what I wanted to happen, I didn't have a team to root for, but I am really happy with the ending. :)
And I'm also really glad I found at least one other person who liked it too!
That's why I figured I'd better put my thoughts out there too.
Whew... that was longer than I meant for it to be...

message 25: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. | 109 comments I'm almost done, yet I know how it ends and the epilogue bugs me. But otherwise I'm happy. Everything worked out and my predictions about Cecily and Gabriel were correct which I am SO happy about cuz they're cute. Ah, I just love this book.

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Preethi wrote: "And Thalia, I know exactly what you mean. My emotions were crazy after I read the book. I felt like punching everyone and crying all at the same time :)"

Yeah, I suppose. And I guess people should just assume my post is going to have spoilers, so there's the warning.

I was just...angry about it. When I read Clare's work, I don't expect to be happy. I don't expect it to be fair. I love it precisely because it has the ability to destroy me, to rip me apart from the inside out. I love that. She doesn't need to have a happy ending to be brilliant. And I went in expecting Will to complete the Sydney Carton comparison, and I expected him to die for Tessa or Jem or something, and I expected Jem to become a Silent Brother, but just...that epilogue screwed everything over. And for more than half the book, I was bored--I've never been bored before! The resolution was like, a hundred and fifty pages! I expected Tessa to finally choose someone--not pull this crap that she can love them both equally and be with them both equally. Like Will can die after a long and happy life, and then have Jem mysteriously turn up, and do the same thing with him all over again. Although, according to the family tree on the dust jacket, they don't get married and they have no kids (for which I thanked heaven), so I guess I'm less pissed about that. But I'm just...not okay with a lot of what happened.

Like others already pointed out, I'm team Will and all, but it pissed me off that a few hours after realizing Jem was dead, Will and Tessa slept together. Which, HELLO, look at the time period--that was a VERY NOT OKAY thing to do back then, just because you felt like it. Sex was NOT taken lightly back then, like it is nowadays. Girls weren't even supposed to show their ankles for heaven's sake. It bothered me, even though I wanted them to be together. When it became physical, I felt like it showed that they loved each less--because they "needed" that. It made me angry.

And then I won't talk about the epilogue anymore. I'll just cry bitter tears, and not because it moved me. Because I'm so disappointed, and unhappy with the ways things turned out. I wish I could take back reading it and go back to when it was the blissful, heartbreaking dream. Imagining Will dying heroically, and an ending that made me want to clutch the book to my chest and weep and sob wracking sobs is better than this cruel reality. My mentor, my writing idol, has disappointed me, and I feel so betrayed that I can't even put it into words.

message 27: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

The family tree doesn't show Jem & Tessa getting married or having kids because the family tree is only good till the year 2007 or 8 when they first get together so they will probably still get married. I hope! I kind of expected everything except the epilogue. I'm happy. It does seem cheap that Tessa never made a choice but as long as she is with Jem I'll just take it. Sex was a huge thing back then! I mean Jem and Tessa were engaged and Jem was dying and Tessa didn't sleep with him so for her to jump into bed with Will right after Jem's death was super disrespectful. But I loathe Will and have always found him to be rather thoughtless. I was disappointed that the Mortmain show down seemed to conclude rather fast. I was still into all the emotional Jem goodbyes but the action was slow since it was focusing so heavily on that. I was sad that there was so little Jem. As usual I'm stuck with a bunch of Will which is disappointing. I was hoping for more of the other characters.

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Hahah, Jennifer, I loathe Jem, so I guess we're opposite sides and yet both of us are STILL disappointed in the sex scene, hahah. (: But at the same time, I felt like it was super disrespectful to Will's memory to decide to spend another lifetime with Jem after he died. It just felt...wrong. Love triangles aren't meant to make everyone happy. Choose one or none, and leave us to deal with the heartbreak. I would rather she hadn't chosen Will at all than choose them both.

message 29: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

It was 71 years after Will's death and Tessa is immortal so she will be with lots of guys I'm sure. And I don't blame Jem for being with her at all because Will didn't care that if Jem hadn't become a silent brother then Tessa and Jem would have been together so I don't think Jem should care that he is going to be with Tessa after Will's death.

Preethi (itsmepreethi) I really hope that Tess won't be with lots of guys. That thought makes me sick :(

message 31: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

About the family tree again...It went only to the end of Clockwork Princess because otherwise it will have spoilers for The Dark Artifices probably. I'm thinking Jem & Tessa will show up in that series.

Preethi (itsmepreethi) My kindle edition of the book didn't have the family tree :( I was sooo sad. So the family tree doesn't connect TMI to TID?

message 33: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

Preethi wrote: "My kindle edition of the book didn't have the family tree :( I was sooo sad. So the family tree doesn't connect TMI to TID?"

It does. The end of Clockwork Princess which is 2008 and TMI ends in 2007. I'm also pretty sure Jem's cure will be mentioned in the last TMI book! I had to re-read the epilogue because I kept thinking Magnus cured Jem but Jem says he didn't know and that he will Tessa a story of Herondales, Fairchilds and Lightwoods.

Thalia (thaliaanderson) If Jem and Tessa show up in any series again, I'll be sick. I can't even talk about it. I'm glad that Team Jem fans are happy and all, but...it's just wrong to me. All of it is wrong. I feel sick just thinking about this book.

message 35: by Falon (new)

Falon | 2 comments This book was odd in that Tessa loves both of them equally. In the earlier books it seemed like she loved Will but was engaged to Jem to make Carstairs happy. Now though she loves both of them but really respects neither. After being told Jem is dead she goes and has sex with Will and after being married and having kids with Will she is willing to go and be with Jem. Tessa seems to always have a man no matter what. This book was kind of creepy with how she never aged beyond twenty even Magnus looks older than that. Tessa's husband is an old man and she still looks like she's in college. This book was not what I expected

message 36: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. | 109 comments The epilogue...my gosh, NO! Reading about Will's death...that was super super cruel and I now want to cry many tears. I feel bad for Tessa because everyone she cares for will die. All her children...all her and Will's memories...my gosh, I'm about to cry now thiking of that. I never wanted her with Jem. He's nice, he's sweet, never wanted him to die, but...WILL IS WILL AND HE'S SO...I just love him more. I wish Cassandra had shown that Tessa loved Will more because like, that's what it seemed in the other books and this was just a way to make both sides happy. Well I am NOT happy. I am quite broken actually. Yes, I'm so happy she married Will but then...he dies and she gets with Jem just to have him die eventually later on? That's whacked out. I wish so badly Will could just have been immortal. Sooooo badly. Okay, in my head that is the way it goes.

message 37: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. | 109 comments I don't want Jem in the next Mortal Instruments. It was enough to read the ending of this book, I cannot take anymore of Jem and Tessa. Maybe if Will hadn't existed, but he does and so I don't want THAT to happen. Or, he did--past participle, kill me now!--:'( :'( I have that weird heart achy feel and I don't like it! This sucks.

Sophie (Sophiebarnetuk) | 6 comments I LOVED THIS BOOK but I also kind of agree with many of the comments above. Will and Jem were such fantastically rounded characters but Tessa seemed lacking, particularly in book 2 when I started to find her annoying. In the end the greatest love from the book seemed to me to be between Will and Jem. I understood the fact that Tessa and Will jumped into bed together because they didnt believe they were going to live for another day - I think I would have done the same (if I was a Shadowhunter being held captive by a crazy robot building maniac!!!) Anyway, I think that there must be a reason for bringing Jem back to life in the epilogue and I am sure we will find out what it is in Clare's next books. I love the fact that Jace is Will's decendent - you can see a lot of them in each other. I think Clare does an amazing job of creating a very complex world inhabited by so many characters that are all unique and believable - even if they are fairys and angels and demons! It made me cry - and I havent done that over a book for a while. Most of all I had hoped for Will to be happy and he got what he wanted. I just wish Tessa had been a more likeable character overall.
Oh, and I loved the description of Will riding down the Great North Road and through Barnet - it's where I live and it very rarely gets mentioned in books! Brilliant!

message 39: by Lo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lo (darkalleycookies) | 24 comments I used to be obsessed with Will--but after this I finished, every time I think about the book I feel so disappointed. I waited like two years, preparing for Tessa to fall drastically in love with Will. Instead, Tessa got both boys, which I hated. Her character is seriously lacking, and Will and Jem both deserve so much better. Nobody deserves half of somebody's heart. And C.C. tried justifying it by saying "They're more than two people, they're basically one, parabatai blah" but it didn't help at all.

I think it would've been way better had C.C. started the book off from where Cecy came during dinner, and then have everything go to crap during the wedding.

message 40: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (myheartheartsbooks) I'm Team Will so i loved pretty much all the book until the epilogue. The epilogue just negated Tessa's choice. After reading I was annoyed and upset, I just wanted her to choose. Choose one. The fact that Jem became a silent brother was a cop out. Give the girl two legitimate choices and let her live with her choices. I wouldn't have minded if Tessa had moved on after Will's death because I don't want her to be lonely, but the entire plot just felt like a clever way for CC to not have to choose who Tessa would end up with.

message 41: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. | 109 comments ^^I agree.

message 42: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

I met Cassie Clare tonight and she said for sure Tessa & Jem do get married and will be in the Dark Artifices!!! *happy dance* <3 Jem!!!!

message 43: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

I suppose I'll add in for you Will fans...She is thinking of another prequel series which may include Will's son James Herondale.

message 44: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. | 109 comments And, my heart has just been blown to shards. This is not fair. Ugh, I am so sad right now. I waited almost 2 years for an ending that I hate :'(

message 45: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Mar 24, 2013 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

The ending is exactly what I told people would happen and what I wanted! LOL Will dies and Jem & Tessa end up together!!! LMAO! Not exactly perfect but as I told Cassie last night I'll take it!

message 46: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. | 109 comments I'm Team Will so this pretty much killed me. I wanted Jem to either die or become a Silent Brother and have Will made immortal somehow, but now, Tessa gets both guys and a lifetime with each when personally, I don't think she deserves either of them! I'd much rather have had Jem with Tessa for a lifetime until Jem died of old age and she met up with Will on that bridge. But nope. It feels so wrong without Will there. And at least when Tessa was married to Will Jem was still alive! Ugh, I have concured that I don't like Tessa. I don't like her. Both guys deserve a full heart and she gives half of hers to each. I'd just like to know that while she marries Jem, she will still love Will. :'(

message 47: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 24, 2013 01:35PM) (new)

I had so many issues with Tessa loving them both. I love both Will and Jem but I was hoping Tessa would choose. I am still not convinced in the whole deal and it was quite annoying to be honest. I don't think you can be in love with 2 people at the same time, and I always had a feeling she was IN love with Will, while she loved Jem, more like a really good friend than anything else. That's why I didn't really like that she ends up with him. It would've been a perfectly satisfying ending with him staying a Silent Brother and her living through a very happy lifetime with Will. This way I just felt like Clare was just going out of her way to make both 'teams' happy.
I was expecting a 'bittersweet' ending and I was afraid I'll have my heart shattered by it. And as much as I do like this one, I would've preferred if it was more 'dark'. To me it seems it was a bit too happy considering she was setting up a darker tone to the whole series.
In any case, I had issues with it but I had no qualms whatsoever with giving it a good rating. Despite it all I really enjoyed this book, even if it was somewhat predictable.

Oh and I was rather hoping Will and Jem will end up together. That would've been the best ending to this story. Screw Tessa! :D

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I also don't feel like Tessa deserved either one at this point. It just really pisses me off because it's so obvious that Tessa wants Will more--when she's alone, she calls out for him, she dreams about him, he IS the one who comforts her and keeps her strong. She NEVER talks about Jem, NEVER thinks about him when Mortmain has her, and I never felt like she "loved" him the same way.

I'm just so done with this book. I want to forget about it. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. It's such a cop out. I can't stand that I actually had to give this three stars. And I'm getting tired of a bunch of new series' being made, too--this is becoming less about the books than about making more money, and it breaks my heart because Cassandra Clare is my writing idol. I adore her, absolutely. But there's going to be a third series after TMI, and now maybe ANOTHER prequel series? This is getting ridiculous and out of hand. The books are suffereing, and none of them are nearly as good as the first three TMI books were and are. This isn't the story I fell in love with. This isn't even the author I admire. I feel like it's all a ploy to make money, and THAT'S why both "teams" had to be satisfied, that's why everyone had to have everything work out perfectly, and frankly, it pisses me off.

I can't even think about it without feeling betrayed by an author I love. Not because my team didn't "win" in the end, but because it made no sense in her OWN universe. I don't read Cassie Clare books to be happy--I read them to have my heart broken and realize you DON'T need everyone to be happy to write something beautiful. This is a sell out. And writing more books? It's selling out even more.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I cannot agree more. It really does feel like she's doing it all for the money. I still love her, but she's just milking money now and it is very apparent. She needs to move on from the Shadowhunter world and write something new.
What is enough is enough.

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Seriously. Things like that ruin the series. I'm probably the only one who will understand this analogy, but it's like how SquareEnix keeps making Kingdom Hearts games. Kingdom Hearts was really good, and Chain of Memories was pretty good, and Kingdom Hearts II was FREAKING FANTASTIC, but then they made a prequel, and then one for cell phones, and then one that retells the first one, and maybe another prequel, and one that tells the story from another character's point of view, and now Kingdom Hearts III, and who the heck even knows what it's going to be about because they've totally killed the fandoms and are trying to suck money from their diehard fans?

Let the Shadowhunters rest in their bittersweet endings and try writing something new.

« previous 1 3