THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > authors recommending their own book?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 123 comments I won't mention the person, but I just "friended" someone who we had a friend in common (ok, that's a different topic, probably shouldn't have done that)

BUT (and I did try to search this first to see if it had been brought up before but didn't find it exactly)

ok, BUT I THOUGHT when I joined, I read something about how you are not supposed to recommend your own book to anyone.
This person just did that, and I thought.. ummmmm. nope.

So my question is, am I right? are we not supposed to recommend our book? yes? Not that I would do that anyhow but just making sure.

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 95 comments I've actually committed that sin 3 maybe 6 times. I did so because they were looking for a read similar to my book's scope and topic. Three accepted and ended up giving me good reviews, one posponed a decision (my guess is permanently postponed,two marked it 'to read' some months ago.

I always did so in a private email and apologized for my forwardness. I never offered it for free or in exchange for a review.

Many have recommended me books of theirs - some of these long time members of GR and a couple are group moderators. I've read a few of those and a few I read got reviews from me. I guess if any don't like your forwardness they'll let you know or you'll see posts complaining about it.

message 3: by John (new)

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 123 comments well, this was someone who asked to friend me, and then immediately recommended an odd book of theirs, when I wasn't asking for a rec.

but I guess it doesn't hurt anything, or matter, since it was private email, but I looked at their book description and it is not in my interest.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (normalgirl) | 398 comments Generally, it is against gr policy to offically reccomend someone your book. But pming is different.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 187 comments I mentioned my book in a thread discussion with a fellow where we were discussing themes prevalent in my book. It wasn't a recommendation, just a discussion, but he ended up buying the book. I'd say that kind of thing is okay.

Friending you only to recommend that you read their book, however, is just plain tacky.

message 6: by A.K. (new)

A.K. (akbutler) I tried to recommend my book to someone who had asked for the link (a friend IRL) and I thought just hitting the "recommend this book" link on GR would be easier than emailing the GR link, but it wouldn't let me. It said "Authors are not allowed to recommend their own books."

message 7: by John (new)

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 123 comments Jaq wrote: "You mean the GR recommendation feature? He was spamming you. But you knew that.

I don't know if there is a rule but it's certainly bad practice. ."

yes, the GR recommendation feature.
I didn't "knew that". That's why I started the thread (?)
I wouldn't do this myself, but I'm confused how this fellow was able to.

I guess I could have phrased that better in the first post, but there you have it.

message 8: by Patrick (last edited Mar 22, 2013 03:37PM) (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments If the person is a member of the author program, they should not be able to recommend their book to you. If they are not yet a member of the author program, then they will be able to (technically) but it's against our policy.

message 9: by John (new)

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 123 comments Patrick wrote: "If the person is a member of the author program, they should not be able to recommend their book to you. If they are not yet a member of the author program, than they will be able to (technically) ..."

thanks. that is what I was thinking

message 10: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (ASongofAfrica) | 67 comments Is it "than" or "then"?

message 11: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Ronald wrote: "Is it "than" or "then"?"

Good catch!

message 12: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (ASongofAfrica) | 67 comments I am using a profile photo that my daughter, Elizabeth, took when we were in Baltimore earlier this month.

Can anyone tell me where this picture was taken in Baltimore?

Clue - the Declaration of Independence.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Pm's from an author recommending a book to you are also considered spam. Likely to be flagged as such. Particularly if an author's only interaction with a member was "friend me" followed by pm recommending book.

The exception would be, of course, if an existing relationship where you and the member had been pm'ing back and forth and established a real friendship discussing lots of stuff. Or if a fan/follower that had commented or reviewed asking you to please let them know when your next book was out type of thing.

message 14: by Charles (new)

Charles Keith Hardman (ckhardman) | 53 comments I have two published books so far. "No Lullaby for Tommy" and "The Curse". No one is buying them and that is disappointing. But that is what is happening today. No one is really reading. I Just wrote two short stories on Facebook. I hope they got read. Check them out on my home page. Charles Keith Hardman. Facebook could make me famous.

message 15: by Bev (new)

Bev (bevallen) LOL.
I didn't even know you could recommend books to other people.
The things you learn.

message 16: by Charles (new)

Charles Keith Hardman (ckhardman) | 53 comments I am off the internet for a week. Check you later alligator.

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 165 comments I don't recommend my book with the recommendation tool. I write little blurbs for my books (without ratings) and sometimes people stop by and ask me about it, which is really nice. If I've been friends with a user for a while and they bring up a book topic that's pertinent, I'll give them a polite, personal recommendation. But only if I think they'll actually enjoy it.

message 18: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 95 comments Nenia wrote: "I don't recommend my book with the recommendation tool. I write little blurbs for my books (without ratings) and sometimes people stop by and ask me about it, which is really nice. If I've been fri..."

When I've done it at all that was my motivation also. But I'll admit, I don't do it anymore due to threads like this one. Why take the risk of offending.

message 19: by Wanda (last edited Mar 25, 2013 09:38AM) (new)

Wanda Paryla (wandasparyla) | 6 comments On my book's page, it has a "recommend" button. I figured it wasn't allowed here, so I hit it to see what would happen. It said "you cannot recommend your own book." I had no intention on doing that. I find it distasteful. I do advertise now and then on Twitter and FB or through my blog.

I did, however, give my own book a star rating, and wrote some comments in the review section. However, I am not actually rating and reviewing the actual book (explanation is in my review blurb). Also I have 2 other raters. One left a review and one didn't. I made sure to "like" the reviewer's review to let them know I read it, but I left no comment to that reviewer.

I'd rather spend time recommending the great books of my fellow indie's to readers. I do enough advertising for my book and don't want to spam anyone here.