Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > I'm missing something... (linking author name variants)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul | 16 comments Hi -

Trying to link author Richard Pells to Richard H. Pells and I'm clearly not doing it correctly.

I thought a Librarian's Note at the top of the Author Info page linking to the alternate name would do the trick, but I've done it in both directions and the one book credited to 'Richard Pells' isn't showing up under the other name. Is the problem that I've got it going both directions?

Sorely tempted to just change the name, but I know that's verboten & that book is published w/out the initial. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks.

message 2: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 19, 2013 11:06PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Does the same author publish under both names? That's when they need to be linked by a note (and, following pseudonym rules in librarian manual, possibly both names put on the book as author if published at different times under both names).

Or are you trying to merge the with-initial to the without-initial author because book covers all showed author name that way?

Looks like none of the books say "Richard H. Pells" on the cover except the gray one.

message 3: by Paul (last edited Mar 19, 2013 11:39PM) (new)

Paul | 16 comments Thanks Debbie.

Did you mean vice versa? The ones I'm looking at (i.e., actual books sitting on my desk) all say Richard H. Pells. As best I can tell, only the gray one is published without the initial.

Anyway, the answer to your first question is yes, 3 of his books were published as Richard H. Pells, but the 4th was published without the initial. I'm sure it's the same guy (verified by checking his faculty publications page).

So that's what I thought I was doing, linking them via note because both names have been used.

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/hist...

message 4: by Katrina (new)

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul | 16 comments Thanks Katrina. I didn't see an answer to my problem in that thread, but considering that I'm apparently at sea on this anyway, that's no surprise.

If a disambiguation wizard out there has a spare minute, would you mind checking out what I've done (wrong)? Many thanks.

message 6: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 73 comments I've added the links to the bio part of the page, so they are connected without going into the 'edit info' page.

I am not sure whether the variants should be added as secondary authors on any of his books, so will leave that for someone else.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul | 16 comments Many thanks, Katrina. I appreciate the help.