Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudor Book Recomendations > I need help with this history question--need your opinions

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  | 3 comments I am writing a book on relationships. I need the name of four amazing women from ancient history that were in a relationship with a man and was betrayed. However, she over came the betrayal and went on to have an amazing life.

So far I have Queen Elizabeth- she was betrayed by Essex, yet she went on to have an amazing life.

Are there any other queens you can think of? Your thoughts would help my research for my book. Thanks!!

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  | 3 comments P.S. ---they don't have to be queens...but well known.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  | 3 comments doesn't have to be ancient. can be tudor. Catherine was cast aside but what did she go on to do that made her great? Didn't she just go into seclusions? I can't use that. I need strong women that over came betrayal to use as role models in my book....good try though.

message 4: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Joanna I (1326 – 27 July 1382),[1] born Joanna of Anjou, was Queen of Naples from 1343 until her death. She was also Countess of Provence and Forcalquier, Queen consort of Majorca and titular Queen of Jerusalem and Sicily 1343–82, and Princess of Achaea 1373/5–81.

Catherine of France (27 October 1401 – 3 January 1437[1]) was the Queen consort of England from 1420 until 1422. She was the daughter of King Charles VI of France, wife of Henry V of Monmouth, King of England,[2] mother of Henry VI, King of England and King of France, and through her secret marriage with Owen Tudor, the grandmother of King Henry VII of England.[3] Catherine's older sister, Isabella of Valois, was Queen consort of England from 1396–1399, as the child bride of King Richard II of England

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary | 69 comments I would add Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII, to any list of a woman belittled by men and yet came out stronger than any of her contemporaries.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments How ancient is "ancient"?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Isabella, consort of Edward II, mother of Edward III.

She got her revenge in a rather big way! (She deposed her husband.)

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 14 comments Well, there was Cleopatra who was deposed by her brother/husband before she took up with Caeser.

How about Elenor of Aquitance - Wife of Henry II, mother of Richard and John? She was imprisioned by her husband.

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard Lee (histnovel) Maybe the Empress Theodora? See Stella Duffy's book: http://www.us.penguingroup.com/static...

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 8 comments What about the Empress Matilda, the daughter of Henry I? She was supposed to inherit England but her cousin usurped the throne. She was the also the mother of Henry II and was very important in his rise to power.

Another one I thought about was Emma of Normandy. She was married to Aethelred as well as the Danish conqueror Cnut. She managed to retain power throughout the turbulent time and was even regent for a brief amount of time.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kennedy | 51 comments What about Isabella--Katherine of Aragon's mother? Didn't she have to fight to keep her title and power? I may be misremembering, but it seems as though the women in the family were always under siege.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 14 comments Sarah, I think you're right. I know there was some type of power struggle.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kennedy | 51 comments Some of it involved a younger female member of the family--a cousin of Katherine's or something?--who had some kind of psychological or mental instability. I don't think that young woman came out of it successfully, sad to say, but Isabella was pretty tough.

message 14: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 1 comments I think Eleanor of Aquitaine would be great (I see someone already suggested her, but wanted to add my vote for her.) What about Joan Beaufort? When her husband is killed, she doesn't flee - she retaliates.

message 15: by annie (new)

annie (tellsnoemotion) | 147 comments What about Anne of Cleves? She left everything familiar for England, only to be tossed aside after she arrived because she wasn't pretty enough for the King. However, she managed to keep her wits (and her head) about her and went on to have a rather happy life.

message 16: by Denise (last edited Mar 25, 2013 04:21PM) (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 88 comments Sarah wrote: "Some of it involved a younger female member of the family--a cousin of Katherine's or something?--who had some kind of psychological or mental instability. I don't think that young woman came out ..."

I love Isabella! Yes, she would be a good choice. I have read a biography of her, but I just read the wikipedia entry (search 'Isabella of Castile', which is really excellent and quite thorough.

Sarah, I think you may be confusing two women with the same name. It was Isabella's niece Joanna, daughter of her older brother, King Henry II, who opposed her for the succession. Henry had made Isabella his heir (which she negotiated for), but some nobles wanted his daughter to reign instead. Joanna was also known as 'la Beltraneja'. Isabella also had a daughter named Joanna (Juana), who was later believed to be mad, although it may have been just a claim by her husband in order to control her and reign over Castilla as regent when Juana inherited her mother's crown. After Philip died, she really does seem to have gone off her rocker, as she was obsessively in love with him and would travel around the country with his coffin, which she would open and kiss his body. Her father Ferdinand (Fernando) of Aragon ruled as regent for the rest of Juana's life. I've been to the convent in Spain where 'Juana la Loca' lived out her life.

Isabella was a very strong woman and an extraordinary queen.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kennedy | 51 comments Yes--The "mad" Joanna was the one I was indeed thinking of. Thanks for the reminder about the name!

message 18: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Kramer | 48 comments annie wrote: "What about Anne of Cleves? She left everything familiar for England, only to be tossed aside after she arrived because she wasn't pretty enough for the King. However, she managed to keep her wits (..."

I am a big fan of Anne of Cleves. She was smart and it paid off!

message 19: by Michelle (last edited Mar 26, 2013 11:38PM) (new)

Michelle Diener (michellediener) | 1 comments Sam wrote: "I am writing a book on relationships. I need the name of four amazing women from ancient history that were in a relationship with a man and was betrayed. However, she over came the betrayal and wen..."

Sam, you could look at the Uppity Women series by Vicki Leon. Although I've found there to be a few inaccuracies in it, and the style is written for high school students, it is the only dedicated series on unusual and brilliant women from history who influenced the world around them. I discovered the heroine of my Tudor-set series in the Uppity Women of the Renaissance book of Leon's series (although then did a lot more research on her, obviously, but it was a great starting point), and I think every page in the Uppity Women books is dedicated to a different woman. There is an Uppity Women of Ancient Times, as well, and one other book in the series, I think.