What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Kneeknock Rise
This topic is about Kneeknock Rise
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. townspeople/villagers at base of mountain fear "monster" (noises coming from mountain) [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelie (new)

Kelie | 6 comments Townspeople/villagers live at the bass of a mountain in a small little town (i want to say it was a village, set in Europe). The story captures their lives, but mainly goes back to their intense belief that a creature inhabits the mountain they live under. Periodically loud noises come from the mountain (sounds mostly like low growls, snarls, moans).

At the end the main character (who, if i remember correctly, seems to disbelieve the lore of the monster/creature throughout the entire book) climbs the mountain and discovers that the noises are most likely volcanic. He contemplates telling the villagers, but I think he realizes they would then have nothing to live for, so decides to never tell them.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashinscribbleland) | 64 comments Minus the volcano this sounds a lot like the folk song "One Tin Soldier" ... "listen children to my story that was written long ago...".

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I thought of that too ... though it's not, strictly speaking, a folk song. It was written in the 1960s by Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter (thank you Wikipedia).

message 4: by Andria (last edited Mar 19, 2013 06:03PM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Sounds like Kneeknock Rise

message 5: by Kelie (new)

Kelie | 6 comments that is it! Kneeknock Rise! I was off about certain details, so thank you so much for the help. It's been over 10 years since ive read it.

Also- I'm curious to look into the song. Thanks guys!

Danica (arya_svitkona) Kneeknock Rise! Wow! I've been looking for this book for awhile! Thanks Andria.