Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Beta Reader for Sci-Fi Space Adventure

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.B. (new)

J.B. (jbmanas) | 13 comments Hi all. My co-author and I are looking for beta readers for an upcoming sci-fi space adventure. The primary lead characters are 18 years old, so it's sort of a YA crossover. It's tentatively titled Cadets. It's a bit of a cross between Ender's Game, Star Trek, and Star Wars. (a potential alternate title is "The Altarrans").

At this point, I'm trying to get some candid feedback to see if it's ready for prime time and if it appeals to our target readership.

If you'd like to be a beta reader, just reply here or send me a message and I can send you a PDF file.

Specifically, it would be good to know, for the reader:

- Did the book grab you from the beginning?
- If not, how long did it take before it got you hooked (if ever)
- Is there anything you'd change about the book?
- Did you like the ending?
- Was there anything that bothered you about the book?
- Was the pacing good? Did you feel like putting the book down at any time? If so, when?
- Did you find the characters compelling? If not, why?
- Does the title Cadets fit the book, or do you prefer The Altarrans, or some other title?
- Did the summary blurb adequately describe the book?

Here's the summary blurb:

On a remote training planet, hotshot Earth Defense Fleet cadet Ryan Thompson and his peace-loving ex-girlfriend Amanda can’t agree on anything. But when news comes of an alien invasion of Earth—the first in human history—they are thrown together on a deadly, unauthorized mission to face an unknown enemy. What they find is beyond their wildest expectations, a discovery that changes everything they thought they knew.

With a trail of riddles and mysteries, epic space battles, and journeys to the far corners of the world, this “Ender’s Game meets Indiana Jones” sci-fi adventure should appeal to fans of both the sci-fi space opera and YA science fiction genres. This book is the second offering from authors Edward Miller and J.B. Manas. Their debut novel, The Kronos Interference, was named to Kirkus Reviews’ Best of 2012 and received a starred review in Kirkus, which called it “impressively original” and a “tour de force.”

J.B. Manas J.B. Manas

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard Sommery-Gade (nanakulikane4) | 44 comments PDF file to bsgtrust@gmail.com for Nanakulikane,that's my Goodreads and Amazon nom de plume, aka Richard Sommery-Gade. Mahalo (Hawaiian for ThankYou)

message 3: by J.B. (new)

J.B. (jbmanas) | 13 comments Mahalo, Richard! I'll send that right along!

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue  Pilski (bubbasbookmama) Hi J.B. I am new to proofreading,but I would be very interested in beta-reading your book,if it's still available to beta-read.
My email address is spilski@rocketmail.com

Have a beautiful day! :)

message 5: by books are love (new)

books are love | 21 comments i'd be happy to help out redtide@rcn.com if you still need some feedback.

message 6: by James (new)

James Crutchley (ne0rmatrix) | 3 comments I would be happy to read book and give feedback. I spend most of my time reading. About 10 to 12 hours a day reading science fiction and fantasy. I'm always looking for new authors and love to read. My email address is jamescrutchley@outlook.com

message 7: by J.B. (last edited Jul 07, 2013 10:42AM) (new)

J.B. (jbmanas) | 13 comments Hi all. Thanks for your offer to provide feedback for Cadets. The book was actually published about a week ago, and is available on Amazon, iTunes, B&N, and elsewhere.

I was concerned about mixing subgenres and confusing readers who read our prior book that may have been taken aback by a different style book, so for that and various reasons, we released this title just under Ed's name. So far, it's doing very well and has been number 1 in its category since its release. It's sold about 1,000 copies in under a week, which frankly we're amazed at. Astounded is more like it. The ebook is only $2.99 at the moment.

Right now, we're immersed in the sequel to The Kronos Interference, and decided to work together on a sequel to Cadets as well, which Ed convinced me to keep my name on. Stay tuned! I will definitely love to include you all in reviewing our upcoming books prior to release.

- Jerry