r/books discussion

Dune (Dune #1)
This topic is about Dune
Book Support Group > [Request] Dune with Darliza for April 1-30, 2013

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Mar 19, 2013 06:27AM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) EDIT: Hey guys, I moved this thread over to Group Discussion since that is what it turned out to be haha.

'Dune with Darliza' has a nice ring to it, no? I can almost see her reading in a fancy chair with a fancy pipe in front of a fireplace.

message 2: by Darliza (last edited Mar 19, 2013 09:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments Cool! Thanks for making the thread. is there anyone else who wants to start reading Dune with me? :(

Jennifer | 185 comments I might be up for this... I remember starting it in high school and quitting after a few pages.I keep hearing about how it is a must-read, so I am planning on giving it another go with my oh-so-matured brain.

Prajwalit | 16 comments @Darliza I just read Dune this Jan, it was so awesome that I bought it's sequel, 'Dune Messiah', the next minute. And I didn't like it at all. May be I'll read Children of Dune next month. Let's see..

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) *cough cough* If enough people are interested and we find someone willing to mod there's always the group read & discuss option. Just sayin' *cough cough*

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments is Dune long? I was thinking that maybe Dune would require more than 1 month to read while the Group Read is updated once a month, and is therefore not quite as long nor as hard to finish.

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments @Frank: next month would be great as I'm still on the lookout for a hardcover copy here in my city. If I can't find a good copy maybe I'll settle for an electronic version. I'll be making a different thread for it when April rolls out!

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments "Dune with Darliza" Ack! What pressure. haha. Thanks for initiating this thread. I'll draw up a reading plan for this soon.

Tentative start date: April 1, 2013

Looking forward to reading this book with y'all.

message 9: by Ashley (last edited Mar 19, 2013 06:49AM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Darliza wrote: ""Dune with Darliza" Ack! What pressure. haha. Thanks for initiating this thread. I'll draw up a reading plan for this soon.

So so sorry, I honestly didn't mean to put any kind of pressure on you or anyone! This group is just for fun so if you can't do it, you can't do it- nbd, please don't feel like you are obligated in any way :).

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments It's totally cool. I'm excited about this and I'm hoping to have more people join in the reading. I already invited one friend IRL (and inviting more!), so this should be totally fun. :)

message 11: by Loonycookie (new) - added it

Loonycookie | 3 comments Count me in for this one!

I read this book a while back and am definitely looking forward to rereading it with you guys. Also, thanks for the heads up, Dar! :)

message 12: by Darliza (last edited Mar 25, 2013 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments Why We're Doing a Group Read on Dune

Dune is often hailed as the central masterpiece of science fiction, the same way The Lord of the Rings is heralded in the genre of modern fantasy. Dune is rich and thickly-layered and I have heard stories of people plowing through the vastness of its world/s.

I have always been intimidated by Dune, with its intricately developed characters and elaborate epic plot and with this in mind, I wish for you to join me so we can dabble, together, into this groundbreaking work of science fiction. We might not like the book as people expect us to, or we might love it as so many readers have, but I know that we will be better off having read it.

Reading Schedule:
April 1-10, 2013 - Book I
April 11-20, 2013 - Book II
April 21-30, 2013 - Book III

During the time periods specified above, we can share our thoughts regarding each "Book". I expect sharing of favorite quotes, our opinions on the language or writing style, plot, themes, questions, etc. Basically anything you can think of while you're reading the book.

We also have to encourage others who might find it hard to go past another page. If you have a hard time understanding things, ask the group. Our goal is to finish this book, regardless of whether we end up liking it or not. This is what I envisioned the Book Support Group is all about. :)

If you are interested in joining the group read, I'm encouraging you to submit a Bookface. I'm looking forward to see your bookfaces and read with you soon!

message 13: by Ashley (last edited Mar 20, 2013 08:41AM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Frank wrote: "That looks like an excellent plan to me!=) I've got book in hand and I'm ready!

Aaaaaaaand this is probably a dumb question, but ... how do I add my photo to this? Sometimes I can't computer very ..."

Let's see. When you're making your reply at the top right of the field it should say (some html is ok). Click on that and look for the html coding for 'image:' and plug in your image link and description into that formula. I think that should work but I haven't used it myself yet.

Jennifer | 185 comments I have placed my request with the library for Dune! How will this work as far as spoilers go? I am assuming we aren't necessarily going to try to read at the same pace... or are we?

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments Jennifer wrote: "I have placed my request with the library for Dune! How will this work as far as spoilers go? I am assuming we aren't necessarily going to try to read at the same pace... or are we?"

We have to adhere to the time period when it comes to the discussion to avoid spoiling others who might not read at the same pace. But if everyone turns out to have more or less the same pace, we can fastforward to the later chapters.

@Frank: !! Our first bookface. You made me totally excited to get started. Unfortunately, I'm still looking for a good copy. I'll post a bookface as soon as I can. :)

message 16: by Ashley (last edited Mar 20, 2013 09:44AM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Huzzah! And also, if I can finish the book I'm in the middle of by the time April rolls around I'll join in with Dune as well.

Jennifer | 185 comments Can we post everything as spoilers? List what chapter you are on and then hide the rest of the text so that only those up to or past that point will read...?Might get a little messy.

message 18: by Ashley (last edited Mar 20, 2013 02:21PM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) My Dune face hahaha.

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments @Ashley: HAHA I love your Dune face.

@Frank/Jennifer: Are there spoiler tags in goodreads the same way there is on Reddit? I'm still not sure how to go about it. =/ If you have suggestions, do let us know!

message 20: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
description

I read Dune a few years ago. Also that summer I started taking photos with the books I read.

Good luck with Dune everyone!

message 21: by Kate (last edited Mar 23, 2013 07:28AM) (new) - added it

Kate (lazymashimaru) | 2 comments Hi all! a bit of a lurker in goodreads here.. :) And I'm excited to join in on the fun.. now to get myself a copy of Dune! :)

edit: my bookface with my most recent read and to-read.. :)

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments Welcome, Kate! ;)

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Kate wrote: "Hi all! a bit of a lurker in goodreads here.. :) And I'm excited to join in on the fun.. now to get myself a copy of Dune! :)"

Welcome, always glad to see a new face!

message 24: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

@Kate, what book are you holding?

Charlotte | 10 comments Dune! My partner was given a copy for Christmas, I am sure he wont mind if I borrow it for a month. Now, just to finish Wolf Hall in the next week...

message 26: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

@Charlotte, ekk Wolf Hall. I haven't attempted that mammoth yet. No multiple readings for you, Charlotte? Dune is not as difficult as it sounds. I rather enjoyed it. Maybe I'll pick it up and re-read it with everyone.

Charlotte | 10 comments @Annie - Yeah, Wolf Hall is all encompassing, so just one at a time for me!

Jennifer | 185 comments Darliza wrote: "@Ashley: HAHA I love your Dune face.

@Frank/Jennifer: Are there spoiler tags in goodreads the same way there is on Reddit? I'm still not sure how to go about it. =/ If you have suggestions, do let..."

I am not sure if there are tags... all I have seen are the blocks you can put on your reviews. Maybe we just need to make our own?
**SPOILER ALERT** style?

message 29: by Eric (new)

Eric Hinrichsen Jr. (ehinrichsenjr) | 33 comments I kind of think that's a good idea... but I'm pretty positive goodreads has a spoiler tag. Please hold.

message 30: by Eric (new)

Eric Hinrichsen Jr. (ehinrichsenjr) | 33 comments (view spoiler)

message 31: by Eric (last edited Mar 25, 2013 01:22PM) (new)

Eric Hinrichsen Jr. (ehinrichsenjr) | 33 comments Ahha! Knew it. The above is a spoiler. Basic html tag:

<"spoiler">Harry was never a wizard all along!<"/spoiler">

Just remove the quotes. I think it gets rid of the need for two separate threads.

By the way, sorry for the three posts.

message 32: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

@Eric, thanks for the spoiler tag, Eric. This will also come in handy with Fool. :)

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments Thanks, Eric! I guess it's solved now? :) I'll be posting some Dune links soon. Also, maybe a trivia quiz after every Book in Dune?

message 34: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 25, 2013 07:20PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jennifer | 185 comments My Dune face...
description

message 35: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

@darliza, I'll definitely would like a quiz. I decided to repeat Dune with everyone :)

@Melissa, great Dune face!

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments @Annie: That's great! I included your bookface in the Reading Buddies section of the Official Dune Discussion thread which we will be using when the reading starts! :)

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Should we have some pre-discussion in the Dune discussion thread? Why do you want to read this book? What kind of expectations do you have? That kind of stuff?

message 38: by Darliza (last edited Mar 26, 2013 10:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments my bookface!

message 39: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate (lazymashimaru) | 2 comments Annie wrote: "@Kate, what book are you holding?"

Hi Annie, I'm holding The Violin of Auschwitz and iWoz :)

Charlotte | 10 comments Day 2 of Dune.
Not really hooked yet ...

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments Charlotte wrote: "Day 2 of Dune.
Not really hooked yet ..."

Hi, Charlotte. I haven't gotten immersed in it yet, especially since it's taking me longer than usual with the language. I don't like moving on through the story without fully knowing what each sentence mean. =/

BTW, we're discussing the book over at [Discussion] Dune. Feel free to join us there. :)