Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
This topic is about The Lightning Thief

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
What do you think now that you are done reading?

Sara I really loved the first book of the Olympian series. Rick Riordan's style is very clever and humourous.To my surprise I actually really liked the contemporary nature of the book (the modern references, locations, language and so forth) and I believe that because of this book I will seek out the occasional contemporary-based YA fiction.
The characters are hillarious and genuine and I could not wait to find out what happened to them next. I read all the books within the span of a few days and I eagerly await the fifth.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Sara, I loved the fist book. How do the other book in the series compare?

Sara Lisa wrote: "Sara, I loved the fist book. How do the other book in the series compare?"

I am glad you enjoyed it too, Lisa.
In all honesty the series,gets progressively better, to me anyway.I think my favourite had to be the third book but the fourth is right up there. There is more depth, the characters begin to mature and the humour is present as ever. The monsters become cooler too.
If you loved the first one, I could not see you disliking the rest of the series.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Sara, I'm not sure whether I'm happy or sad about this! ;-) I have sooooo many books on my to-read shelf. But I guess I'll try to get to the 2nd book in this series sooner rather than later. Thanks!

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments Lisa, the second book is (I think?) shorter than the first, so you should be able to read through it quickly.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Ann, Thanks for that information. I'm just so swamped with books (and life) right now, but I'll keep that in mind.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments Yeah, I know the feeling. I read the first book ... last summer... yeah, last summer, so I really haven't done too well myself! lol!

Sara Lisa wrote: "Sara, I'm not sure whether I'm happy or sad about this! ;-) I have sooooo many books on my to-read shelf. But I guess I'll try to get to the 2nd book in this series sooner rather than later. Thanks!"

Lisa,Ann has a point about the length. The second is quite short! In fact they are all quick reads but I get what you mean...my to-read list is MASSIVE.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) my to-read list is MASSIVE

Sara, Yep. I love GR but I'd pared down my to-read list to 200 before GR. Now it will need more time than I have. I need to take off books from it not add them, but I keep adding them anyway.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Lightning Thief. I read it sometime last year, and am waiting anxiously for the last book.

message 12: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

So I just finished it today and really enjoyed it. I did think at times it was more children's literature then young adult. But I still enjoyed it. I too enjoyed how it takes place in the modern world. For example when Percy finally sees Zeus and he is in a suit! HA! Some parts I didn't care for like when Percy and his friends meet Crusty (I think that was his name) in the waterbed shop. Could've done without that but I guess that is where they get their money to go to the Underworld. Since there are only 5 books in the series I am going to go ahead and finish it.

I thought this was a great fantasy novel though.

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Apr 19, 2009 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

For those who have NOT read anymore of the series... do you think Luke is going to be a bad character? Or turn out to be good?

message 14: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments I've read the second book, so will base my comment on just the first one.

I thought Luke had done some pretty bad things, and it would be really hard to "swing him back to the good side." That said, I did hope it would be possible!

message 15: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luke came out of nowhere! I wasn't expecting that part at all! And then to try and kill Percy... whoa!

Kristen Harvey | 10 comments Love this series!

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Angie, I guessed Luke was a bad guy from the very beginning. I thought that part was really predictable. But I still really enjoyed the book.

Tessa I love the book and think that the mix of Greek mythology with modern elements. I think that these books are a great way to introduce kids to Greek mythology or a great thing to give them if they are already interested. I think that Riordan does a great job of creating a world where characters can run into Medusa on one page and the god of war on another. In response to the questions about Luke, I hope that he will be able to be saved in the end. He has enough people who care about him, so I hope that will help redeem him.

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Yeah, Luke's still a kid and had a hard beginning; there's definitely hope for him. I don't know when I'll get to the other books though even though I liked this one.

Jamie Luke giving the flying shoes to Percy was a big tip-off that Luke was the friend who would betray him.

message 21: by Adam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Adam | 1 comments I liked the book. I wasn't blown away though. Ditto for Luke--had him pegged from the second I heard the oracle's prophecy.

message 22: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

When I heard that a friend would betray him I was thinking it was going to be someone from the two traveling with him. Since Luke was left back at camp I thought he was kinda out of the picture. I was fooled (blushes).

Brigid ✩ I love the Lightning Thief and the rest of the series. Funny, exciting ... and it's cool how all the mythology is tied in. :)

Elaine (readingrat) | 24 comments This whole series is really fun to read.

Diana  (higura_natume) | 30 comments I admit, I didn't really like it.

To me, Percy was annoying, whiny, and just plain irritable

And while the greek mythology was cool, the plot itself fell flat for me.

message 26: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Did you think the plot was for a younger group?

message 27: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Angie, I think this was an 8-12 year old book, but I'm well into adulthood and I enjoyed it. I enjoyed children's books as a young adult too so I'd have probably enjoyed it then as well.

Jamie I agree with Lisa completely, but I'm a bit leary of letting my 8-year-old son read them right now. These books get quite violent, and oftentimes it's for little reason. He'd probably be fine with the material, but I think we'll still wait a bit.

Brigid ✩ I'm sixteen and I love them. Of course, I know they're intended for a younger audience, but they're so much fun and really addicting. Plus, I think it's almost better to read them as an older teen or adult, because you understand most of the mythology references. :)

message 30: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree... I think it is even better once you have an idea of who the book is referring to in mythology. That is what makes Ares so fun to me. I already had an idea of him and then to think of him on a motorcycle is great!

Brigid ✩ yeah totally!
and i luv apollo, in the third book. omg, hilarious!! :D

message 32: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

OOh haven't read it yet but you should talk about him in the rest of the series thread so when I get to that book I can chat with you about him!

Brigid ✩ kk :) lol

Nicole | 72 comments I really loved the series, and this book in particular! It is so hilarious, and yet so serious at the same time! Rick Riordan is awesome!

message 35: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I invited Rick to come to our group and discuss the book but never heard anything! Boo!

message 36: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments Lol! Well, nice try Angie:D Thanks for the effort;>

message 37: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments Maybe he's too busy working on a Percy spin-off or something ;)

Brigid ✩ probably XD

Nicole | 72 comments I sure hope he is, because I'm waiting for it!

Zooworld | 15 comments This was my review:

This book was a pretty good read, but the plot was rather obvious in places. It also felt like the author was dragging out the dialogue, and making the characters appear too scared to say something so the surprise would be saved for the end.

The predictability of the plot meant this book is more likely to be shelved in the childrens section, rather than the young adult section of a bookshop, however the final plot twist was not obvious.

In summary, it makes a good afternoons read, and I will certainly be reading the next books in the series, although I expect them to be better!

message 41: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree about this being more of a children's book then a YA book. But a lot of YA seem to be reading it.

Brigid ✩ I disagree ... I'm sixteen and they're my fave book series! :P Although my ten-year-old sister loves them too. lol. Also, I think they get better and more YA as the series progresses, since the characters age a little more.

message 43: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments Brigid, that's an interesting point about the character aging and therefore the audience for the books. I've thought about that a lot for the Harry Potter series, but hadn't thought about that for Percy Jackson yet. That does make sense though!!

Melyssa | 30 comments I really really enjoyed this book, and can't wait to read the rest. This series started out for me, the same way that Harry Potter did, where it took me a few tries to get into the first book, but once I was done with the first book I flew through all the others.

Like some have already said, the first Percy book was predictable is some places, and it kind of made the book a tad less interesting, but not enough for me to stop reading. I'll definitely be finishing the series.

Brigid ✩ They get better as they go along. I liked the first book, but I didn't get really obsessed until the second or third book. :)

Brigid ✩ Ann wrote: "Brigid, that's an interesting point about the character aging and therefore the audience for the books. I've thought about that a lot for the Harry Potter series, but hadn't thought about that for ..."

haha yeah. :) funny, i aged at the same rate as percy jackson. lol XD so every year when the new book came out, percy was a year older and so was i. :D ha

Karina | 2 comments i absolutely love this book, i actually read the whole series and i have to say that i am very sad that it's only 5 books. i loved all the characters which is weird for me, i usually just like a couple and the rest i really don't care for, but with this one it was different. i'm very into the whole greek mythology to this was a perfect book for me. i didn't actually buy the books but instead just checked them out of the library, but i already made my xmas list and this series is at the top.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book because my friend at recommended it to me, I didn't start it for a while, cuz I figured it's just a boy book and I probably wouldn't like it. When I finally got around to reading it I was pleasantly surprised! I thought this book was funny, exciting, and entertaining. It was even my favorite book for a long time!