r/books discussion

Introductions > My name is Tom...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Emerson (TreeRex) | 8 comments ... and I am a biblioholic. I'm in my early 40s, married with twin teenaged daughters and a crazy irish terrier. I live in the north eastern United States. I'm a computer programmer with a background in linguistics.

I love books: I like to read biographies, histories, fiction, foreign-literature, science fiction, (classic) fantasy, books about languages, science, mathematics, programming, photography...

Some of my favorite authors include Haruki Murakami, Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert, Mikhail Bulgakov, Salman Rushdie, Charles Stross, Dan Simmons, J.R.R. Tolkien and Michel Houellebecq.

My reddit username is TreeRex.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Hello and welcome! Unfortunately, I believe that your addiction will only be amplified here, I hope that isn't a problem haha. I hope you like it here, and please let us know if you have any ideas for improvements.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (shlurbee) Hi! Have you read Houellebecq's The Map and the Territory yet? It's been on my list for a while. I would totally pick it up next if I knew there'd be someone to talk to about it.

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Emerson (TreeRex) | 8 comments Valerie, it's on my kindle but I haven't started yet. It's up next though.

message 5: by Brooks (new)

Brooks Hooray for math books! I read a few books on the Riemann Hypothesis a few years ago, and enjoyed the topic quite a bit. I haven't really gone back to that subject in a while, but I'd love some recs if you've got them.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom Emerson (TreeRex) | 8 comments There are several good books on my Maths shelf.