The Malazan Fallen discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates
Group Read - Deadhouse Gates > DG - Chapter Twenty Four - NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (last edited Mar 17, 2013 02:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
The priest of Elder Mael
dreams rising seas ...

Dusk
Sethand

message 2: by Juniper (last edited Mar 17, 2013 04:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments FINISHED!

I really prefer Felisin after she became the new Sha'ik. I wonder, wonder what will happen when Tavore realises who she has become and when Felisin has prepared to face her as her new self.

And Iskaral Pust has met his wonderful verbal match in Mogora. Heh. Loved it.

And wait wait wait, Baruk. Did he die or not die in Gardens of the Moon? I can't remember. Either way, Rudd and Irp are finding him a body.

I wonder if the child who stirs in the belly in the epilogue will become important or if it's just something to make us curious for the next book.

WOHO! Next book here I come!

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments Or wait, again! The contents of the bottle (a soul?) is what they came for, no?

Rudd then held the bottle against one pointed ear and shook it. "Ah, he's in there all right!"

And then they're bringing the body that held this soul with them back to Baruk, I suppose.

So who's Sa'yless Lorthal? And is that even said person's name, as the person was a man and Sa'yless Lorthal is a woman's name? Questions, questions!

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments The bottle is the flask that Quick Ben sent to Coltaine. Coltaine rejected it and handed it to Duiker. It broke in Duiker's fall. So, my reading is that the bottle had some of Quick Ben's soul shifting magic in it. He did something else with souls with Hairlock in GoTM. He had intended to preserve Coltaine's soul, but instead, Rudd and Irp resurrect Duiker.

Coltaine didn't need the flask, because the great Wickans have their own means of resurrection, which we see both in his death and in the Epilogue.

And the other thing is that, with Quick Ben, it's possible he knew his gift to Coltaine would get redirected.

My question for the whole book is what is the significance of Rel being a priest of Mael. It's spoilerish, but this is one of the main things that I'm trying to wrap my mind around.

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments Aha! I can't remember that part. But that makes sense now that you mention it.

I didn't realise the crows were a means of resurrection for Coltaine, though. But I'm glad if they are. I like him.

Lori Mael is an elder god, so very powerful, so my assumption is that Rel, as high Priest, is as well.

I guess we can include the epilogue here, and it's telling that rebirths still require an embryo to have a soul. And yet Coltaine enters one without one. Will this have ramifications, or is Coltaine's soul so huge that it doesn't need one?

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments Duh. I feel so stupid sometimes. OK, now I get it. Coltaine is the baby.

Lori Oh Kat, trust me, so much that is seemingly obvious still flies by me!

message 9: by Duffy (last edited Mar 17, 2013 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments About Mael: (view spoiler)

message 10: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (view spoiler)

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments (view spoiler)

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments Lori wrote: "Oh Kat, trust me, so much that is seemingly obvious still flies by me!"

I'm sure that's true! I just feel like I'm slow in comparison to most people here, since the rest of you have most of the stuff pinned down without question. Then again, I also know most of you have already read them once and are one step ahead... :)

message 13: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Hell yes!

message 14: by Rob, Quick Ben (last edited Mar 17, 2013 04:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
Descent enough ending. I'm glad Duiker's not dead, but I was suspecting something like that. Looks like unlike Hairlock he might get to keep his body.

And little baby Cotillion! I wonder how quickly he'll be a factor again.

message 15: by Lori (last edited Mar 17, 2013 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori You mean Coltaine!

In this series, there's mostly dead and all dead.

message 16: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oops. Lol. Yeah. Coltaine.

message 17: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (last edited Mar 20, 2013 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
Kat wrote: "And wait wait wait, Baruk. Did he die or not die in Gardens of the Moon? I can't remember. Either way, Rudd and Irp are finding him a body."

No, Baruk did not die. You are thinking of Mammot, Crokus' "uncle" who died. Well, at least as far as we know.It's hard to keep track of who comes back and doesn't come back in this series.

So who's Sa'yless Lorthal? And is that even said person's name, as the person was a man and Sa'yless Lorthal is a woman's name? Questions, questions!

It's the name of the nameless marine who had the hots for Duiker. It was her parting gift to him - her name.

The nameless marine spoke. ‘I have something for you, Duiker.’
Lull grunted. ‘What, here?’
She handed him a tatter of cloth. ‘Wait a while before you read what’s on it. Please.’
He could only nod as he tucked the scrap in his belt.

This is what the two Bhokarala find on his body.

Lori wrote: "I guess we can include the epilogue here, and it's telling that rebirths still require an embryo to have a soul. And yet Coltaine enters one without one. Will this have ramifications, or is Coltaine's soul so huge that it doesn't need one? "

A soulshifting requires an "empty" vessel. Otherwise it would contain two souls. In the last book Tattersail/Silverfox is soulshifted into a soul-less baby about to be born.

@Lori/Duffy (view spoiler)

message 18: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

And Felisin shows up at Aren. She experiences regret for falling out with her sister

Regret? Oh, yes. Many regrets, beginning with a vicious argument with my sister, back in Unta, a sisterly spat that went too far. A hurt child . . .

and fear

Raraku – the heart of my newfound power. I shall need that embrace . . . if I am to defeat this fear – this terror – of my sister. Oh, Goddess, guide me now . . .

Korbolo insistes that Tavore is too young and soft to take them on but Felisin/Sha'ik. Knows better. This was after all the sister who made the hard choices that killed their parents. And she knows there will be an accounting for this mass slaughter lining the roads to the gates of Aren

And Heboric finds himself in the grip of another force and wishes for his old god ie Fener back

What am I not meant to see? Is it you who have truly blinded me now, Fener? Or is it that stranger of jade who flows silent within me? Is this a cruel joke . . . or some land of mercy?

Heboric has now gone truly blind but still is able to see everything - except for the identity of the man hanging in front of him (I believe to be his old friend Duiker)

And the Silanda finally shows up with the wounded and then quickly takes off

Blistig frowned, then sighed. The scorched ship’s crew had disappeared almost immediately after docking and offloading the wounded soldiers from Coltaine’s Seventh.

We find the crew ie Gesler, Stormy (with his Flint sword) and Truth on the road to Aren searching for someone among the crucified bodies on the road. Who were they looking for? Coltaine? Or Duiker? Or maybe the ex priest of their patron god Fener ie Heboric?

And no prizes for guessing who the two mostly dead dogs in the back of cart are. Bent the cattle dog and the unkillable little lapdog.

Mappo decides to use his last healing elixirs and the little lapdog escapes Hood one more time

He moved slightly, winced. ‘I – I am injured.’
‘Aye. I’m afraid I gave away my last two elixirs, and so could not properly heal you.’
Icarium managed a smile. ‘I am certain, as always, that the need was great.’
‘You may not think so, I’m afraid. I saved the lives of two dogs.’
Icarium’s smile broadened. ‘They must have been worthy beasts. I look forward to that tale.

And I look forward to seeing more of those two little beasties

And Pust finally finds his spiders and we learn why he was so anxious to find them

‘You’ll never get to the real gate!’ Iskaral Pust shrieked. ‘Never!’
‘I – don’t – want – to!’

Magora, the former denizen of Pust's new temple could have ascended, knowing the location of the real gate and become the undisputed god of the shapeshifters. Alas, god hood isn't for everyone...

‘I escaped Dal Hon to be rid of idiots. Why would I become Ascendant just to rule over other idiots?’

Shadowthrone obviously hasn't learned this lesson yet.

And I agree with others. Magora and Pust are hilarious. A match made in heaven..or hell.

And we meet our undead T'lan Imass dragon soultaken. Now we know where it was headed when we last saw it from the Silanda. It was coming to guard the real gate.

Iskarel Pust watches it lift off from it's perch, job done, and away it goes

Iskaral Pust and Mogora stared at the spot in the sky for a moment longer. A half-grin twitched on the High Priest’s features. ‘Ah, you weren’t fooled, were you? You came here to guard the true gate. Ever mindful of your duties, you T’lan Imass. You Bonecasters with your secrets that drive me mad!’

And Icarium awakes to have forgotten everything that happened at Tremorlor and he and Mappo go wandering off to continue the endless search for Icarium's memories.

And the Crows come carrying Coltaine's soul to be reborn.

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments David Sven wrote: "Kat wrote: "And wait wait wait, Baruk. Did he die or not die in Gardens of the Moon? I can't remember. Either way, Rudd and Irp are finding him a body."

No, Baruk did not die. You are thinking of ..."

Are you sure it "requires" an empty vessel? (view spoiler)

message 20: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Duffy wrote: "Are you sure it "requires" an empty vessel? "

(view spoiler) I should rephrase, Soul shifting into an "empty vessel" avoids unpredictable, metaphysical consequences - like if we soul shift into an occupied body, what happens to the original "person?" Are they trapped in a body where someone else's soul is in charge? Or do both souls create an amalgum - effectively a different person. Would Coltaine still be Coltaine if he joined with another soul? (view spoiler)

Even the T'lan Imass bonecaster in the last book wasn't sure what would result when Soul shifting Tattersail/Nightchill into a Rhivi "empty vessel" while under the influence of the Tellan warren.

A Wickan warlord into a Wickan vessel is comparatively uncomplicated I think?

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments David > Thank you, I had missed that when I read. That clarifies things (about who she was).

message 22: by Chaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chaz | 297 comments David Sven wrote: "And Icarium awakes to have forgotten everything that happened at Tremorlor and he and Mappo go wandering off to continue the endless search for Icarium's memories."

This made me sad:

"West of here lies the Jhag Odhan," the Trell said.

"Yes, a good direction. I admit, Mappo, I feel close this time. Very close."

message 23: by Hanne (last edited Mar 27, 2013 05:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hanne (hanne2) | 228 comments Kat wrote: "Duh. I feel so stupid sometimes. OK, now I get it. Coltaine is the baby."

i think it's too much for one read indeed.
i got the coltaine baby with the crows, but i missed duiker's rebirth. duh! :))

message 24: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori I think I missed that first time around too, Hanne.

message 25: by Sumant (new) - added it

Sumant I got duiker, coltaine is baby but i missed the people driving the cart were gesler, stormy and truth.

Pepster50 So both Duiker and Coltaine are going to be reborn? Meh, kinda takes away from the drama of deaths in the series. But it's okay, because I like them both !

message 27: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well..Death is just another warren after all :)

Becky  (nvrayn) | 6 comments David Sven wrote: "Well..Death is just another warren after all :)"

I like that thought.

Deano | 41 comments So most people who have died seem to have managed to get a reprieve
Apart from baudin and kulp.
I miss kulp :-(
Nice ending
I thought kalam's little chat with the empress via corpse was good.
Some one on here said as she managed to change his mind she let him go when she could have easily killed him.
I don't think killing kalam would be remotely easy. And I think she knows it.
Better to have him around just in case she can use him.
As long as he's not coming after her anymore.
I wonder with his new found fatherhood, if he will be able to get out and take care of topper!

I'm not sure if I want to got on to the next book now or re read the first two.....
Maybe I'll read three then recap.

Thanks to you all on here (even though I feel like kalam talking to a corpse, as most of you left a long time ago)
It has helped when I wasn't concentrating enough.

message 30: by Bas (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bas (basdr) | 39 comments Deano wrote: "So most people who have died seem to have managed to get a reprieve
Apart from baudin and kulp.
I miss kulp :-(
Nice ending
I thought kalam's little chat with the empress via corpse was good.
Som..."

Call it wishful thinking but I'm still hoping Kulp shows up somehow. His death was so sudden that I thought it was staged somehow. If I recall correctly his warren was meanas, which is a warren of shadow and illusion.

But it's probably me not wanting to see Kulp dead, I really enjoyed him.

Deano | 41 comments Me too mate he was a good character
But then again most of the characters are so well written I don't want to see them go.

It was a pretty brutal end for him.
And I don't think it was an illusion but then there do seem to be other ways to return ;-)

message 32: by DangerBin (last edited Nov 16, 2016 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

DangerBin | 64 comments Say less. Mock’s hold. SE likes his puns, huh?

Does Coltraine ever come back in the series? I have no recollection of that, but I missed a ton on my first read through.

(Is that question a spoiler?)

message 33: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's not a spoiler in my opinion as to the answer however..

(view spoiler)

DangerBin | 64 comments Thanks!

(view spoiler)