The Hobbit, or There and Back Again The Hobbit, or There and Back Again discussion

Have you all read this book?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lótë (Iris) If you have, what did you think of it?
And what did you think of the movie if you have seen it?

Sorrel Book- really good. I read it back when I was 10 and I picked it p again recently. It's a book for children definitely, unlike the lord of the rings but it is still worth reading whatever age you are. Captured my heart when I was 10 and continues doing so now.
Film... hmm not so good. It's only a small book and they split it into three loooooooooong films. They added in a lot of stuff that wasn't in the book and missed stuff out. It was quite good but I think you should read it first because they're quite different. Either way both are good book is better

Sophie It was really good- I read it years ago, maybe when I was 9 or 10, and I loved and still love Tolkien's unique style and imagination. The movie was great, and I loved the acting and incorporation at the start of the beginning of The Lord of The Rings. But I don't understand, same as above, why they have dragged into three films. Two would have been more than enough, but three is a bit on the excessive side...
I re-read the Hobbit before I went to see the movie, and it made a massive difference to me. I recommend others do to, because it enriches the experience. When it came to the Golum scene, I was quoting him, and the rhymes that went with him! lol

message 4: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Harvey I loved the book. I haven't actually been an avid reader for very long, only about a year as a matter of fact. This one of the first books I read, and I really really enjoyed it. Short, but sweet, and definitely entertaining.

Now, I'm biased toward the movie. Lord of the Rings is hands down my favorite movies of all time. There is no words to really express how much I love those movies. All it takes is for me to hear a song of one of the soundtracks, and it just hits me. Tears in my eyes, they just move me in such a way that not a lot of things do. It's actually kind of embarrassing to say that, but it's the truth.

The Hobbit movie? I loved it. It is certainly different than the book, but that really doesn't bother me. Although, a lot of what makes the book great is present in the movie. What I really enjoyed about the book, is Bilbo's personal growth as a character. That same quality is present in the movie.

The bottom line is this: In my opinion, whether these stories are told through literature or film, the level of quality in each medium is absolutely top of the line.

Lótë (Iris) Matt wrote: "I loved the book. I haven't actually been an avid reader for very long, only about a year as a matter of fact. This one of the first books I read, and I really really enjoyed it. Short, but sweet, ..."

I agree with you about everything concerning The Lord of the Rings movies. It's the exact same for me.
I haven't seen The Hobbit yet, but I'm going to this Tuesday when it comes out on DVD, and I haven't yet read the book, so it's all new to me.

Kellyn Loved the book, the movie, well, it felt like it was kind of stretched out a lot more than it needed to be, and it felt like it was almost too different from the actual book.

Sorrel Kellyn wrote: "Loved the book, the movie, well, it felt like it was kind of stretched out a lot more than it needed to be, and it felt like it was almost too different from the actual book."
SO true! Throughout the whole thing I was going "that wasn't in the book." "it happened different in the book." "They missed out this that was in the book"

message 8: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige i have seen the movie and read the book and they are bothe really cool i think J.R.R Toliken is one of the best writters

Zelie Love the book and the movie. Each of it gave different sensation for me. The character in the movie is strong, the effect, the war, it just amazing! But the book brings me that kind of feeling, which made me feel like not want it to end, ever. The story is sweet, awesome, amazing!

Sparrowlicious I read the book in the summer before the movie aired - actually for the purpose of finally reading the book, rather than reading it before the movie comes out.
I loved the book. I loved the very first scene in the book when Bilbo meets Gandalf for the first time and I had to laugh a great deal about the entrance the dwarves made. There's a lot to this book. There were scenes that thrilled me and I couldn't put the book down because of them. I really love this book.

The movie:
Oh well.
I think it was quite good. Still, some of the changes were a bit weird to me. (Probably because I didn't read the Silmarillion yet.) Especially Gandalf conversing with Galadriel telepatically weirded me out. D: Ahh.

Sorrel The dwarves didn't look very much like they're descriptions. Throughout the whole thing I was thinking where are the multi-coloured beards?

Thomas book: brilliant
movie: ok

message 13: by Tash (new) - added it

Tash Dahling I've not seen the film, but I have read the book about 15 years ago. It took me about five goes to get through it properly. Tolkien can be difficult to read if you're not used to his style. Definitely a classic though. :)

C. J. Scurria I got to read the book recently (before I got to see the movie!) and I thought it was awesome! I enjoyed it. I saw the movie and though I feel it is silly that Peter Jackson feels he has to stretch it out into three movies, I thought the movie was pretty good. Sméagol's scene is a highlight.

message 15: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Have read the book several times over the years and have enjoyed the 1st installment of the movie trilogy.

Clayton I read the book long ago, but I have no plans to see the movie. If Tolkien was alive The Lord Of The Rings movies would never have been made they way they were. I endured the first one, but I walked out of the theater about 30 minutes into the second one. I hated them both. I have no reason to hope the same movie maker will do any better with The Hobbit.

Mislav I read the book and i really loved it like everything from tolkien. Movie is not good as book but I still cant wait to see other two movies,

Grace Mccormick I put off reading this because I was thinking I wouldn't like it. Finally got around to last week. Enjoyed it so much I read it straight through. Tolkien is a master story teller.
The movie was OK, but,
like most movies of books, just not as good as the real thing.

Clayton Grace wrote: "most movies of books, just not as good as the real thing."

Some almost were. e.g. "To kill a Mocking Bird"; "Gone With The Wind"; " The last Picture Show"; "Lonesome Dove" to name a few.
The chief reason being the authors were still alive and had a say in how they would be done.

Wangũi Ng'ang'a I'm glad that I get to do things in the right order when it comes to Tolkein. Read "The Hobbit", then watched it. Now I'm reading the first LOTR, then I'll watch the movie, then read the second and so on...

I liked the movie well enough, but the inaccuracies stood out for me. And I expected Bilbo to be much cuter. Not in a handsomer way, but more adorable, y'know. And the dwarves didn't feel short enough. But 'The Song of The Lonely Mountain' is simply WONDERFUL>

Sorrel Wangũi wrote: "I'm glad that I get to do things in the right order when it comes to Tolkein. Read "The Hobbit", then watched it. Now I'm reading the first LOTR, then I'll watch the movie, then read the second and..."
Yeah I know what you mean! Where id the multi-coloured beards go? I mean I'm not complaining but I picture them a little fatter.

TheCuriousDeer I first read this book around the age of 8 or 9 and I absolutely loved it! It was a favourite of my dads (as was LotR) especially as he went to the same school as Tolkein.

I have since re-read it several times growing up and each time they story was just as enjoyable, if not more so! I haven't read it now for several years but it's on my 'to-read' list for this year!

Donna Davis I have read this book out loud for four or five periods a day for several years on end, before lang. arts curriculum where I taught made us change to short stories. I love it as much as any reader can love any book, ever. I've been reading novels for 45 years, and it is one of my top two of all time (the second being Catch-22).

That said, it won't be easy sailing if you see the movie first, and expect nonstop adrenaline-rushing action. It's really more of a by-the-fire type of book. It takes a lot of focus to keep all the various dwarves straight.

I didn't read it at all till I was in college,& maybe that was just as well. I was definitely ready for it when it was before me.

Janisa I read the book when I was, I'm guessing 11?, and I choosed not to re-read it before I saw the movie. I knew that they had added some things and removed some, and I didn't want to spoil the movie nor the book by noticing all the things that would differ between them.

I think the next time I'll read the book will be when the last movie has been released, that way I can enjoy the last two movies the same way I enjoyed the first :) And still enjoy teh book just as much as I did the first time!

Janisa Janisa wrote: "I read the book when I was, I'm guessing 11?, and I choosed not to re-read it before I saw the movie. I knew that they had added some things and removed some, and I didn't want to spoil the movie n..."

Oh and I understand that Jacksson has choosen to try and blend the Hobbit and the LOTR movies together, and I'm anticipating how well he'll be able to do so.

Chami I found it a little boring. Even the movie i didn't enjoy much. i kinda read it because i started to read it :).

Nancy I read this book when I was 11. It was really good. The story line is not only interesting but fun. It is definitely a great book.

Danielle G I loved this book. The best Tolkien book by far. The others are a little long winded for my tastes. I thought this one was great! I also loved the movie.

Dimitrios Chytiris The book is very nice, but I do not prefer it to the Lord of the Rings. The movie was a bit disappointing to be honest, stretched way too much so it can make a movie trilogy and the frame rate choice is very very wrong I believe. It makes it lose any kind of magic!!! The actors wearing dwarf and hobbit clothes look like people wearing dwarf and hobbit clothes and not like actual dwarves and hobbits, I dunno what they were thinking.

Maaike I just finished this a day ago, loved it! I am really looking forward to read the Lord of the Rings.
But I found it sometimes a bit slow-paged, gave it because of that 4.5 stars..

Tahca I would have to say that this is one of my all time favorite books=]And yes I am obsessed with the Hobbit

Dyanna Read it for the first time as a college assignment liked the book and the author so read everything he wrote. This book with Bilbo Baggins, dwarves, dragons and a grey wizard appealed to my love of fantasy. The movie was well done too. I am the proud owner of both the books and the movies.

message 33: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn I never could finish the book, I always stop in the middle. It was the same for the lord of the ring trilogy. I wasn't crazy about the lord of the ring movie, but the Hobbit looked good. In short to said I love the movie and I can't wait for the other two. Let's hope I don't find it too long. We will see. Ever since seeing this movie I will be re watching the Lord of the Ring movie, I might like it more the second time. I still have the book and who knows maybe the third time will be the charm.

message 34: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Bucknell I read it years ago. Loved it then, and now. One of the few books I will reread.

message 35: by Muhammad (last edited Sep 04, 2013 09:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Muhammad Sarosh Read it,when I was 12.I am not going to forget it.

message 36: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark I have lost count of how many times I have read it, having the comic, two versions in English(Paperback & HC) & a translation in my native language.

message 37: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy I love this book. The copy i have was my Dads so it's falling to pieces but i think that just makes me love it more. The movie is very good. Peter Jackson really looked into to Tolkien notes on the books so he could put what Gandalf was up to when he wasn't on the quest in the movie. So far he's done a very good job. But i don't know what he's going to to do in The Battle Of Five Armies ?!?

message 38: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate Good book overall, but it was a little boring at the beginning especially since I tried to read it on a plane. The movie was overly good if you ask me!!

Nancy Yes,I have read this book.It was absolutely amazing and captivating. The movie seemed to bring all the characters to life.