Neverwhere (London Below, #1) Neverwhere discussion

New Radio Performance

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.L. (last edited Mar 16, 2013 02:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.L. Christopher Just listening to the first episode now, can't help but see the TV series so far, but had forgotten some of the great lines and the Marquis is fantastic. Looking forward to hearing Cumberbatch's Islington.

Anyone have any thoughts on the first episode?

Rachel Where do I listen?? I loved this book!

Angela Ditto Rachael's question of where to get ahold of this radio performance you speak of. Is it in the UK only? That would be my luck. I'd love to hear it, as it's my favorite Gaiman novel to this day. His reading of the novel for the audiobook was lovely. And sadly I just couldn't get into the mini-series. I'd love another crack at it.

Angela Well maybe I posted too soon. Just found this: BBC Radio 4 - Neverwhere But it wouldn't stream for me, But I'm on a Chromebook at the moment, and sometimes things like this just don't work on a Chromebook.

D.L. Christopher iPlayer is definitely available outside the UK, so you should be able to get it. Hope you both enjoy!

Mary Heard that Cumberbatch's Angel will sing. Neil Gaiman himself shared a link on Facebook.

D.L. Christopher For some reason I can't imagine Cumberbatch singing - except possibly as part of an early 20th century Anglican congregation, shortly before taking the jalopy into the country for a picnic. I suppose I shall see!

Mary Then this would fit perfectly with that thought:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3cIU9...

message 9: by Ree (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ree James McAvoy, Benedict Cumberbatch, Christopher Lee, Romola Garai... so many great people! :)

message 10: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/pos...

I really wish I had time to listen to this as it airs. It sounds brilliant.

message 11: by D.L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.L. Christopher Mary wrote: "Then this would fit perfectly with that thought:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3cIU9..."

Actually listened to that episode last night - creepy. He does the character no little justice. It's been great so far.

message 12: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mary wrote: "http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/pos...

I really wish I had time to listen to this as it airs. It sounds brilliant."

Mary, it'll be available on demand. If not now I think it's from 29th March. Try BBC iPlayer.

message 13: by Ree (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ree I've just finished episode 3, and I like it, but it's not as good as I expected. Mr Croup and Mr Vandermar aren't nearly as creepy and scary as I imagined them while reading the book. Don't like Natalie Dormer's voice for Door. Cumberbatch's Islington is great though.

message 14: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Having heard all episodes I can only say "sheer brilliant fun" everybody who like me has enjoyed this book gets a whole new enjoyment out of it.

message 15: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John I loved listening to this new production of one of my favorite books. It got me back to listening to mysteries on BBC, where I go for news and music frequently.

message 16: by D.L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.L. Christopher It was great - have to say I love the BBC radio dramas, it's such a shame they so rarely have anything new radio 4 and 4 extra are goldmines.

message 17: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary I listened to the 1st episode whilst doing the ironing - brilliant. looking forward to ironing for the 1st time ever (talk tapes and radio shows have to be on when I'm doing no-brain jobs or else I fall asleep/get distracted.) makes me want to re-read the book or GN again.

Marnie W. I've just finished the book and I'm listening to this execellent radio performance. James McAvoy and Benedict Cumberbatch are just superb.Anyway, I found Natalie Dorner's voice a bit childish for Door, but it's a great adaptation for the book.

message 19: by Bex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bex The radio presentation no longer available on iPlayer but will apparently be released in September by AudioGO - they're the ones who release BBC audio books - for anyone who missed it (this includes me!)