You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Marnie's Low Octane Alphabet Challenge by Titles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I'm new to the group so I am going to dip my toe in with this Alphabet challenge.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments I'm so glad you are going to join us in the challenge, Marnie!

message 3: by Marnie (last edited Mar 25, 2013 07:40PM) (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments My list as of today:

A- The Alienist_Caleb Carr
B-The Book Thief-Markus Zusak
C-The Child Thief-Brom
D-The Diary of a Young Girl-Anne Frank
E-11/22/63-Stephen King- moving to April challenge
E- TBA
F-A Farewell to Arms-Ernest Hemingway
G-Gone Girl-Gillian Flynn
H-The Handmaid's Tale-Margaret Atwood
I-In Cold Blood-Truman capote
J-The Joy Luck ClubAmy Tan
K- The Kill Artist-David Silva
KThe Kitchen House-Kathleen Grissom
L-Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir-Jenny Lawson
M-Me Talk Pretty One Day-David Sedaris
M-Murder on the Orient Express-Agatha Christie
N-A Novel Bookstore- Laurence Crosse
O-Outlander-Diana Gabaldon
P-Perfume: The Story of a Murderer- Patrick Suskind
Q-The Queen's Vow: A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile-C.W. Gortner
Q-The Quiet American-Graham Greene
R-Red Dragon-Thomas Harris
S-The Silver Linings Playbook-Matthew quick
T-Tender Is the Night-F Scott Fitzgerald
UUnbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption-Laura Hillenbrand
V-The Virgin Suicides-Jeffrey Eugenides
W-The Winter Witch-Paula Brackston
X-In Xanadu: A Quest-William Dalrymple
Y-Year of Wonders-Geraldine Brooks
Z-The Zookeeper's Wife- Diane Ackerman

message 4: by April (new)

April | 970 comments I'm glad you're joing us! You have a great list!

message 5: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10359 comments Whoo Hoo! Great start.

message 6: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Glad you've dipped right in! You've got an interesting list, a lot of serious books on there.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Oh my! You must be my twin. There are so many of my favorites on your list, starting with A & B!

message 8: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I found the Alienist while looking for books for this challenge. I don't know how this book has escaped me for this long since it is my favorite kind of read. The Book Thief has been sitting on my daughter's bookshelf forever and I have been meaning to read it....She is actually home for spring break which is great - but slowing down my available reading time.

message 9: by Neenee (new)

Neenee Good luck!!! I hope you enjoy the journey

message 10: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments The The AlienistIs done now on to The Book Thief. I am going to listen to this one- which I haven't done in a long time. I wonder if my mind will wander?

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments I listened to The Book Thief as well, Marnie and it was great! I doubt your mind will wander. :)

message 12: by Marnie (last edited Mar 20, 2013 06:24PM) (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

My thoughts on The Alienist. I was actually trying to prove to my daughter that I can copy and paste! My computer skills are questionable and she wanted to make sure I could participate in this group when she goes back to school!

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments You are doing just fine, Marnie! I always tell people to look at all the little tiny words and click on them. Often they are links. You'll learn lots just by clicking on the various links and finding where they'll take you. You won't blow up your computer or anything. :)

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I have just come across The Alienist and it does look intriguing - I've added it to my TBR. I too read The Book Theif for my B book and I loved it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 15: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Janice wrote: "You are doing just fine, Marnie! I always tell people to look at all the little tiny words and click on them. Often they are links. You'll learn lots just by clicking on the various links and fi..."
My daughter said the same thing "just start pressing buttons it will be ok"- made me laugh when you said the same. You were right( again) about listening to The Book Thief. My mind is not wandering and I am getting a ton of things done too. Love this multitasking!

message 16: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Sarah wrote: "I have just come across The Alienist and it does look intriguing - I've added it to my TBR. I too read The Book Theif for my B book and I loved it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did."
Loving The Book Thief! Making my girlfriends put it on the top of their lists.

message 17: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Neenee wrote: "Good luck!!! I hope you enjoy the journey"

Thank you Neenee. So far so good EXCEPT my TBR list has grown by 50 books in under a week!

message 18: by Cherie (last edited Mar 21, 2013 01:01PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Marnie wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

My thoughts on The Alienist. I was actually trying to prove to my daughter that I can copy and paste! My computer skills are questionable and she wan..."

You did good, Marnie and I liked your review! I have the book on my TBR list, but who knows when I will get to it. I think I have enough books to last another lifetime of reading without adding any more.

message 19: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Marnie wrote: "Thank you Neenee. So far so good EXCEPT my TBR list has grown by 50 books in under a week!"

And it will keep growing! LOL

message 20: by Neenee (new)

Neenee Marnie wrote: "Thank you Neenee. So far so good EXCEPT my TBR list has grown by 50 books in under a week!"

Mine too!!!

message 21: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Just finished The Book Thief? I'm not sure I can comment coherently on this yet. I will say that I have told my husband to put down the book he is currently reading and start reading this book. I loved this book!

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments I'm glad you enjoyed it, Marnie. It's one of my favorites.

message 23: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Finished The Child Thief...need to read something light and cheerful before I start in on the Diary of Anne Frank. I'm actually going on a trip in a couple weeks that includes Amsterdam. Need to finish The Diary before I visit her house....

message 24: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Finished The Diary of a Young Girl.
" I want to go on living even after my death."-Anne Frank
One of the many prescient lines from the book.

message 25: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Because I've moved 11/22/63 to the April challenge I am replacing it with Etiquette & Espionage

message 26: by Brenda (last edited Apr 03, 2013 05:48AM) (new)

Brenda Marnie wrote: "Just finished The Book Thief? I'm not sure I can comment coherently on this yet. I l..."

I completely understand this comment. I had to let this book sink in (for lack of a better phrase) before I could talk about it. In fact, it actually took me quite a while to read this book. I had to keep putting it down letting it sink in before I could continue. 10 stars for me!!!

message 27: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Brenda wrote: "Marnie wrote: "Just finished The Book Thief? I'm not sure I can comment coherently on this yet. I l..."

I completely understand this comment. I had to let this book sink in (for lack of a better..."

I agree, Brenda! I felt the same way. I do not know anyone who was not moved by it and loved it so much too!

message 28: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Brenda and Cherie - I still can't explain why I love this book. I keep handing it to friends and saying " trust me and read this ." so far 100% of my friends love it too-( and that usually doesn't happen with my group).

message 29: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments FinishedEtiquette & Espionage. I think I might have liked it better in book form because I found the narrator's voice annoying. I was on a plane and stuck with it so I powered through. This is the first in a series of books and let me say I won't be reading the next book. Cute idea about a finishing school that trains girls in the art of espionage but then they added vampires and werewolves and completely lost me.
Half way through A Farewell to Arms.

message 30: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments A Farewell to Arms- done. This is the second Hemingway book I've read in the last couple of weeks ( A Moveable Feast). At the risk of sounding silly- I'm not a huge Hemingway fan. I was distracted by his sentence structure,which I usually don't notice. I kept looking for patterns ( simple simple complex) instead of enjoying the story.
I am looking forward to Gone Girl which is next on my list.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Gone girl isn't a book I can honestly say i enjoyed - put through the wringer describes the experience better - but it is a book that i found kept dragging you along, you have to know what happens next.

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Yes, Gone Girl is intense!

message 33: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I loved Gone Girl! I listened to the audio version which I thought was narrated brilliantly. I loved all the twists and turns the story took. When I finished I started casting the movie in my head. I wouldn't have thought of Reece Witherspoon but apparently she has optioned the book.

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments I had to google the movie option and read that it isn't clear whether she'll be acting or directing. Gillian Flynn is signed on to do the screenwriting, so the movie shouldn't stray too far.

message 35: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments You are right she is producing so casting is still up in the air. Guess it wouldn't be too big a compliment for someone to think you are perfect for the part of Amy!

message 36: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Marnie wrote: "You are right she is producing so casting is still up in the air. Guess it wouldn't be too big a compliment for someone to think you are perfect for the part of Amy!"

ROFL!!!

message 37: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Finished The Handmaid's Tale? I would have given it 3.5 stars but rounded up to 4 stars. I thought the book had an interesting premise and I was definately caught up in the story. I wasn't crazy about the writing- lots of short sentences "...I say....she said...I say..."

AND it's another Science fiction book- who knew I read so much sci-Fi :)

message 38: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Just finished In Cold Blood. Truman Capote's matter of fact writing style was chilling- and Scott Bricks narration was fabulous. I must add more Capote to my TBR.

message 39: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Because my library copy of The Joy Luck Club was unavailable I switched my J book to The Jefferson Key.
It is the latest in the Cotton Malone series. Perfect distraction for my last airplane trip for a while. It is good to be home and staying home!
My K book will be The Kitchen House- which is also my local book club book.

message 40: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Finished The Kitchen HouseI enjoyed the story and am glad I read it. My one criticism is that the main character is incredibly naive. Someone who is raised around slavery would definately be more aware of the powerlessness of slaves. The other characters were more believable.

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Marnie wrote: "Finished The Kitchen HouseI enjoyed the story and am glad I read it. My one criticism is that the main character is incredibly naive. Someone who is raised around slavery would definately be more a..."

That was my sentiment as well.

message 42: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I finished The Language of Flowers which I thoroughly enjoyed. The main character is someone I was rooting for even when she was making bad choices.

message 43: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Moll Flanders fell right into place to continue my alphabet. It took me a while to get into the language of the book but once I did I really enjoyed Moll.

message 44: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments The Nobodies Album- I had heard great things about this book but it was just ok. It's about a famous author who's rockstar son is accused of murder.

message 45: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Finished Outlander? It took me a while to get into the book but once I did I was hooked. It helped when I looked up the casting for an upcoming series based on the book ( on Starz).Someone suggested Gerald Butler for Jamie and even though he wasn't cast it helped me see him more clearly. I had been picturing Jamie as younger which wasn't a very attractive thought. ( I was reading Forbidden at the same time and guess that was too much for my brain :). 4 stars.

message 46: by Lisa (last edited Jul 08, 2013 05:45PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am so glad you enjoyed 'Outlander' Marnie :) I really hope that the adaptation gets shown here in the UK too because I want to see it so badly! When I read it, I pictured either Chris Hemsworth or Gerard Butler as Jamie, although I think Gerard would actually make a better Dougal, and either Jason Isaacs or Richard Armitage as Jonathan 'Black Jack' Randall (although both are probably a little too old for the role)

message 47: by Marnie (last edited Jul 21, 2013 04:24PM) (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I just finished The Postmistress.
Good books make you think about them long after you've read the last page. This book has many present day parallels that I'm sure I will be chewing on for some time.

message 48: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I have The Postmistress and keep putting it off for other books. I keep hearing good things about it, and now I've got to read it soon.

message 49: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I read Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking for my Q book. This is not my usual cup of tea book but I found myself wishing I would have read this book when I was much younger. It was very well researched and written in such a way that I was having a hard time putting it down. 5 stars.

message 50: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments The Romanov Conspiracy

I kept having to reread pages of this book because my mind kept wandering. I'm not sure if it was the book or me ( it's been crazy around here).

« previous 1