Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
This topic is about Beyond the Shadows
Night Angel Trilogy > Beyond the Shadows Part 1-Ch1-24

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
I am going to start this out with an apology. In looking at the first book in this series, it did not seem very complex or deep. I thought we were in for what I call a 'popcorn' read, and and made a 'started reading' and 'finished reading' thread.

That assumption was way off base.This series is a lot more complex than it first appears, and deserved more. All I can do is go forward with the last book in the series, so here we go!

message 2: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am only a few chapters in, but I like how things are getting set up here.

Obviously Logan has bit off more than he can chew, kylar is going to try to help him, and there will be a showdown between Elena and Vi, but we all know it;s going to be a lot more complex than that!

David Sven (gorro) | 123 comments We might get to see Dorian's story fleshed out a bit more. I wonder if Durzo Blint will make an appearance

David Sven (gorro) | 123 comments So we got two love triangles already with Kylar Elene and Vi PLUS Dorian Jenine and Logan.

message 5: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

David Sven wrote: "We might get to see Dorian's story fleshed out a bit more. I wonder if Durzo Blint will make an appearance"

I definitely agree

David Sven (gorro) | 123 comments I'm up to Ch16. So it looks like there are two competing schools of magic - The Vir which draws it's power from the goddess Khali - the Meisters. And then the Talent which is what wetboys use and the Magi.
It also appears that Khali has to be housed in a live body - the body being in a catatonic state - Whoever controls that body controls the Khaldorian empire - I think.

message 7: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am not 100% on how Khali works yet either...but think we are about to find out!

Katey | 2 comments Hey there! This is my first post in the series thread. I happen to also be on Book 3! I never participated because I worried I'd fall behind. So cool. :)

Interesting thoughts re: Khali. The way it's explained how she plays a role in the use of the vir is pretty cool.

I'll be honest - the 3 criteria needed to use the Talent had me confused in book one. If I remember correctly, I had to reread the part where Kylar/Azoth had met the Maja and she explained it to him.

I am also enjoying the 3rd book -- promises of possibly seeing Durzo again are appealing!

I'm also liking the Dorian/Jenine subplot.

message 9: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

I know re Dorian and Jenine--I have a feeling it's not going to be a happy ending somehow, but we will see!

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "I am going to start this out with an apology. In looking at the first book in this series, it did not seem very complex or deep. I thought we were in for what I call a 'popcorn' read, and and mad..."

Hey Mags!! I was wondering why you hadn't done the full out discussion board for this read! I'm going to have to catch up on posts now that I know you are doing one!

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments The Dorian/Jenine story line is like watching a tragic accident occurring right in front of you and you can't stop it no matter how hard you try! I still have hope that Dorian can get them out of the capitol city without harm!

message 12: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

I know! It's like Dorian is on a slippery slope and has zero traction....

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments I'll catch up on the discussion this week!

message 14: by Kenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kenn Anderson (kennic64) I am listening to the audiobook and find myself driving the long way in order to listen. Enjoyable story. The love triangles are interesting as well as the "wars" being fought.

message 15: by Rob (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rob | 38 comments Im gonna have to call out the initial post. On one level im enjoying this series because Weeks has a flair for the dramatic. But the idea that this is complex or deep? No, not in the least. Its well written, keep you entertained pap.