Start by marking “Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)

Beyond the Shadows

(Night Angel #3)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  81,740 ratings  ·  2,084 reviews
A new queen has usurped the throne and is leading Cenaria into disaster. The country has become a broken realm with a threadbare army, little food and no hope. So Kylar Stern plans to reinstate his closest friend Logan as King, but can he really get away with murder?

In the north, the Godking's death has thrown Khalidor into civil war. To gain the upper hand, one faction
Mass Market Paperback, 689 pages
Published December 1st 2008 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Shadows, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michael Crilly
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  81,740 ratings  ·  2,084 reviews

Start your review of Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
carol.
Mar 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one, really
Some times, I just get profoundly disappointed. When that happens, it becomes quite a challenge to keep on with second, third and fourth chances, which is what I've been doing with Week's Shadow series. I've realized, it is time for Brent and I to break up when I was pondering my review, and thought, "why bother?" You know that feeling you get at the end of the relationship when you know it's not even worth trying anymore? Or--and this might have happened to me today--those times when you might ...more
Kate
Apr 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
Oh my god this book was terrible.
The first book in the trilogy, I liked. Started off a bit dark, cracked along at a pace, lots of twists and turns and all in all a good read if slightly melodramatic with some truly terrible prose. Also I liked the idea of this "Night Angel" superhero and I loved Durzo's character.
Second book: began a bit like a teenage boys wet dream. Quite annoying really and quite strange to read as an adult. I found all the descriptions about how Elene wouldn't sleep with him
Dana Ilie
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't want this Trilogy to end :((
You really need to read the entire trilogy and I did read them in order, all at one time.

I feel as though I have lost friends and as though I have learned some true lessons, just by reading and becoming lost in these books. If you are a true fantasy lover, I sincerely believe that you will enjoy these immensely.

The characters, the worlds, the plot...all are terrific! However, the feelings that are evoked during the story and the consequences of actions taken
Markus
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
Weeks, we have a problem.

I didn't like these books anywhere near as much as I hoped I would. In fact, I was disappointed more often than not.

The writing was not to my taste at all. I hated most of the people in the story by the end of the first book. I spent much of my reading time being annoyed by everything.

And yet... you had your moments. You had your great characters (is one and a half enough to use the plural form?). And most importantly of all, you had a few fantastic ideas about the world
Lisa
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-e-book
It seems as if most of Mr. Weeks idea's for this trilogy were taken from Robert Jordan's, Wheel of Time series, and it wasn't done near as well. Truly disappointed in this story and Mr. Weeks.
Shari  Mulluane
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every hint, every misdirection, every barely noticed event comes together in ways that make perfect sense, but surprise you nonetheless. Brent Weeks forces his characters to make impossible, painful decisions at every turn. The type of multilayered decisions where no matter what, somebody will suffer the consequences and often that somebody is the person they love most. The type of decisions where the right one is rarely the obvious choice and even self-sacrifice is not always the right path to ...more
Derek
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Thus ends another trilogy. Overall, I was disappointed with Beyond the Shadows. In Way of the Shadows Weeks spun a marvelous tale for us. He hooked me deep. In Shadow's Edge Weeks continued a great story. I felt that Beyond the Shadows was a poor ending to a great beginning.

What I felt was the biggest upset in this book was that Weeks stopped showing us the story. Instead, he told us what happened. As any good author knows, show, don't tell. We would flip between characters, sometimes months
seak
Mar 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
While some people have been waiting over 20 years to finish The Wheel of Time, over 13 (and counting) for A Song of Ice and Fire, and over 10 for Malazan Book of the Fallen, it's a great feeling to finish a series and probably better for all the waiting I've been doing.

Concluding the Night Angel Trilogy, Beyond the Shadows is a great ending to a great series. While not without its faults, as I'll discuss in a bit, the characters are moving and the world fully realized, so much that I was a bit
J.J.
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great trilogy. I the ending of Beyond the Shadows is pretty good, I really liked it. I do recommend this trilogy to those who really like magic, god-kings, high kings, immortals with great power, great battles with magic, kings, women and soldiers. Many great characters with interesting backgrounds.

It's a worthy trilogy to start and finish. I hope you all give this trilogy a shot and read it. It might not be good for some but if you like my books I've read in the past(check profile of my
Kris43
Men! Wtf was that?? i feel like i've been slapped! i really loved first two book and now i get this??
Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good in this book, but most of it is way bellow from what i've come to expect from this series! And most of it is some of the worst moralistic crap i've heard in a long time!

Like the whole sex thing. Every character who had sex was portrayed as in some way a evil whore or dirty or seriously wrong. OMG! Are you for real?? I just hope some young innocent girl
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Outstanding conclusion to an outstanding series. Brent Weeks has created a superb world with original and well thought out magical systems and creatures. All of the loose ends begun in the first two novels, The Way of Shadows and Shadow's Edge are tied up tight as a drum and brought to a very satisfying conclusion. This series joins the ranks of one of the best fantasy series of recent years and I can not wait for the next book by this author. Highly recommended!!
S.K. Inkslinger
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. (Edited this after a year because the more I thought about it, that ending was utter #@$%. It deserves 2.5 since the book was half bad. I haven't been able to read anything by Brent Weeks since, and I don't think I'll ever touch his works again.

This book is decent in many parts, but offers an ending that is not as satisfactory as I had expected from the Night Angel trilogy. Beyond the Shadows had many great scenes, Kylar's battle with Lantano Garuwashi, and his and Logan's later
Scott
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Last book in the trilogy - three stars.

It was a very epic grand huge book.
But there were oh so many issues.

Like the other two books in the series this was riddled with pacing problems. The first 500 pages of this book were so boring and painfully bad that I almost just tossed it in the garbage and really the only that saved it was that it was the last book in the trilogy and I wanted to see how it ended. Then the last 200 pages were filled with enough world shattering events and action that it
TS Chan
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this is 3.5 stars which I’ll magnanimously round up because I really liked a few of the characters and some pretty awesome scenes/moments. There were definitely parts which really piqued my interest and the magic was cool. If the black ka’kari can be called a character, it’ll definitely be one of my favourites.

My wish for more arcs and significance from Dorian, Solon and Feir materialised but I was not entirely thrilled with how they were dealt with. It actually made the whole plotline
David Sven
This book continues right on from book two. After Logan Gyres initial victory over the God King, Garoth Ursuul, and the Khalidorian Empire, he is left to deal with the surrounding nations closing in to stake their own claim on Cenaria. To make things worse the Vurdmeisters and remaining Ursuuls fight to reinstate themselves as the new god king. To this end some attempt to raise an army of creatures from the other side. Some are even desperate enough to try to raise the goddess Khali herself, ...more
Pearlyn Ng
Mar 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
I don't write reviews.
I can't be bothered, half the time. Even if I love the book to pieces. I'll name my firstborn child after the protagonist and fan-stalk the author, but really, writing reviews isn't my cup of tea.

Brent Weeks deserves some solid applause. He's the first author that's made me a hate a book so much as to actually galvanize me into writing a review, can you imagine that?
The Way of Shadows was okay. I kinda liked it. Enough to try Shadow's Edge, which pretty much left me with a
Danielle
Rob
Executive Summary: I really wanted to like this book more than I did. Most of my friends seemed to enjoy it, but I just found it a disappointment.

Audio book: Paul Boehmer again does a good, but not great job as a reader. He is clear and easy to understand. He does a few voices, but I really have trouble telling some of them apart.

Full Review
I found this book to be a letdown. I felt Shadow's Edge started going off the rails a bit and to be uneven. This book was worse.

There are things to like
Marielle
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-own
Loved it again third time around. Just loved book 1 and 2 a little bit more. :)
Zoe Artemis Spencer Reid
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
At least better than the second book, nothing grand of the final. Everything tied up in whatever convenience to the writer, illogical and without explanation whatsoever. But with some great characters and some amazing scenes.
Patricia Crowther
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it! A perfect ending for the most perfect characters ;) Seriously in love with Logan <3
LKM
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Now that was just silly.

The book felt rushed and crammed of information that was spoon fed by plot devices (read: characters), and not shown by the tale itself.

The parts that weren't rushed were fight descriptions, which unless they're really well done can bore me, and angsty lovey-dovey crap, which bore me unless there's an actual point to them- save for one or two parts that could have been shorter, I didn't think there was much of a point in them.

As it were, I read it like:

"Important stuff
Megan
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-and-own
Now that I've finally finished the Night Angel Trilogy, I'm going to review it more as a series than just this individual book. Overall, this series was just lukewarm for me.

What I liked:
I loved the world building. There was so much political intrigue, intricate plots lines, and unexpected twists that went in every direction. Each character was significant in some shape or form, and each character was connected to each other in some important, but not so obvious way.

What I didn't like:
These
Kaora
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall this was a great book and a satisfying end to the trilogy.

Weeks has built a complex and detailed world and a wide variety of characters, some of whom I loved, and some I hated. The battle scenes were well done and the writing flowed for the most part, with the exception of a few instances. I found the dialogue witty, reminiscent of Scott Lynch, although Weeks has a darker side to him, although it did seem to be more focused on the good in this book.

I feel that Weeks also is great at
Brittany
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: year-2018, fantasy, magic
3.5 Stars!!!

"The most potent magics are tied to human truths: beauty, passion and yearning, fortitude, valor and empathy."

Superb ending to a great series. I highly recommend this series to those who want a solid fantasy series to read. There was nothing over the top about it but it was very enjoyable. The characters are likable and easy to get attached to, some more than others, but overall they balance out one another. I will say I expected a little more from this one. I felt like the
Peter
May 07, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
After reading all the positive reviews of Beyond the Shadows, I've started to wonder whether I read the same book. Certainly, the novel I read had the same characters, but the impression that seems to have been made on others has been almost unanimously positive.

After a positive - if far from flawless - start in The Way of Shadows, the series started to descend into farce in the second instalment for my liking, before winding up here.

I was left with a feeling not dissimilar to how I felt about
Arthur
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: liked, fantasy
End of the journey.
Good and fitting final. Touching, moving with powerful emotions.
My deepest admiration is for Elena. Hat’s off.
Kylar, Durzo, Count Drake are my favourites. Even the Wolf.

However, there a few glaring drawbacks that I cannot dismiss.
First of all, the whole trilogy was a bit short on history of Midcyru. Brent Weeks has probably realised it and attempted to force feed us large chunks of it in the last book but it didn’t go very smoothly.
Second, too much was squeezed into one book.
Nathan
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book had a very satisfying and very clean ending. I've been disappointed in the recent past how many series just sort of END, without any real resolution to the main plot, let alone many of the sub plots. It's as if the author lost the last third of his final manuscript three days before it was due to the publisher and had to put everything together on the fly.

Not so here.

While not everything is resolved (leaving open the possibility for more in this world), everything is settled and is
Ashley Daviau
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, almost perfect ending to an absolutely outstanding trilogy. One of the best fantasy trilogies I've ever read. This goes to the top of my list along with Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. It has everything, magic, battles, despicable/lovable characters and everything else you could ask for in a trilogy. So good I almost didn't want it to end!
Eric Allen
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
The first 75% of this book is a collection of things that happen. A bunch of scenes and storylines that really don't have all that much tying them together into anything resembling a cohesive story. It's kind of hard to really care when nothing really seems to be happening, or leading toward anything, and you have a lot of different things happening to different people in different places and none of them seem like they're part of the same story.

I blasted the everliving shit out of Patrick
A really cool ending 7 131 Nov 05, 2019 03:20AM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Beyond the Shadows IV-Ch 75-the end! 7 111 May 23, 2013 07:23AM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Beyond the Shadows Part 1-Ch1-24 15 61 May 18, 2013 04:51PM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Beyond the Shadows Part III-chapters 50-74 6 39 Apr 18, 2013 12:51PM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Beyond the shadows Part II-Ch. 25-49 7 36 Apr 18, 2013 12:47PM
Fantasy Book Club...: Question about plot 9 80 Feb 12, 2013 05:04AM

• The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • Tower Lord (Raven's Shadow, #2)
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
  • Queen of Fire (Raven's Shadow, #3)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • King of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #2)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • The Core (The Demon Cycle, #5)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
  • Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
  • Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)
Brent Weeks was born and raised in Montana. After getting his paper keys from Hillsdale College, Brent had brief stints walking the earth like Caine from Kung Fu, tending bar, and corrupting the youth. (Not at the same time.) He started writing on bar napkins, then on lesson plans, then full time. Eventually, someone paid him for it. Brent lives in Oregon with his wife, Kristi. He doesn’t own cats ...more

Night Angel (3 books)
  • The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
“I'm not dreaming this, am I?" he asked.
Dehvi lifted an eyebrow. "There's only one way to know for sure," he said.
What's that?"
Go piss in the woods. If you feel wet and warm afterward, wake up.”
91 likes
“There's no guarantee that justice will win out or that a noble sacrifice will make any difference. But when it does, there's something that still swells my chest. There's magic in that.... It tells me that's the way things are supposed to be. ” 80 likes