Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Series Read Info

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Mar 19, 2013 12:03PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments The Moderators Have been conferring over the next Series Read. The Honorverse series read has been a real success, due mainly to the reliability of Lindsey, the read-leader who has kept everything in check, and done so magnificently!

With the Honorverse winding down just in time for summer, we have noticed that there are several first-in-a-series books, albeit short series, coming up as our BOTM's. Stefan and I have been discussing the possibility of using one of them as a springboard for a "Mini-series" read over the summer. This would give the moderators time to regroup and ascertain the future possibilities of the Series read.

Possibilities: In May we will be reading
The Shadow of the Torturer as our Fantasy BOTM. Though The Book of the New Sun is a fascinating series, it is four (or five) books in length, and therefore too long for a summer "mini-series" read. But we still have other possibilities coming up.

The Lies of Locke Lamora is our April Fantasy pick. It is the first of the Gentleman Bastards series, of which now there are two entries, with a third, a "prequel," The Bastards and the Knives due to come out on May 1.

The Faded Sun: Kesrith is our May sci fi choice, and it is the first of a trilogy.

If we read one of the above "series" as a summer "mini-series," it would last from June 15 through August 15. We would have already read the first book of the series as our April or May BOTM, and we would continue with the 2nd and 3rd book during the summer. One of the moderators could oversee such a limited series read (but anyone interested would be welcome to try it out also.)

So we are proposing setting up a poll at the first of April to decide between these two series (Gentleman Bastards and Faded Sun) as a summer mini-series read, the first books of which have already been voted on as BOTM's. This is totally dependent on your interest in such an endeavor, however. So it's open for discussion in this thread. Feel free to discuss!

Thanks.

message 2: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments My only concern is the reliability of the release date on The Bastards and the Knives. I'm a big fan of the first two books, but it and The Republic of Thieves have been delayed so many times. I would be hesitant to depend on a release date until books are being shipped to retailers.

message 3: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 382 comments I like the idea of a mini-series. Easier to keep up with and if people are busy over the summer (for example, moving like me) they wouldn't be behind at all in the fall.

Gentleman Bastards is the only one of those on my "to read" list so it's the one I'd vote for, assuming that my aforementioned moving doesn't totally nix my summer reading.

Random wrote: "I would be hesitant to depend on a release date until books are being shipped to retailers."

A valid concern. However, in my experience as a former bookseller, the closer to a pub date you get, the less likely it is to be changed. (Patrick Rothfuss' example notwithstanding.)

message 4: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments I've seen The republic of Thieves delayed less than a month from its announced date more than once. I'll believe the release dates on these books when I see them actually released. :)

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3219 comments Mod
I would be up for this idea. I'm in the midst of several series because the first book was a BOTM that I was interested in and had on my shelves, but have not finished because of other reading commitments (and other BOTMs that looked good). The Company (Kage Baker), Vlad Taltos (Steve Brust), Culture (Iain Banks), and now Rai-kira (Carol Berg). Actually reading all the books in a series together would be great! But since I prefer series that are finished, Faded Sun would probably get my vote.

message 6: by Random (last edited Mar 18, 2013 03:03PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments This just showed up in my feed today.

Release date for Republic of Thieves

It also explains a bit on the erratic release dates that have been floating around.

message 7: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 382 comments Random wrote: "This just showed up in my feed today.

It also explains a bit on the erratic release dates that have been floating around."

And that's what I get for making generalizations! Thanks for the info.

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments It seems like the Faded Sun would be the most logical choice,,,

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments Random wrote: "This just showed up in my feed today.

It also explains a bit on the erratic release dates that have been floating around."

Just to clarify -- if such a thing can be done -- does the information in this article tell us that The Bastards and the Knives will NOT be released in May, or perhaps not at all?

message 10: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments Nothing specific. However, I have seen multiple references to the fact that The Bastards and the Knives will be an omnibus containing the novellas "The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic" and "The Choir of Knives".

If that is the case, looks like they will be coming after TROT according to his blog post.

message 11: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

I'm obviously very much in favor of Nick's suggestion, given that we sort of hashed it out before he posted it (although it was his idea). The odd coincidence is that I actually love all 3 of the suggested mini-series, and would maybe try to squeeze in rereads myself if at all possible. I think the Cherryh trilogy would work well because, IIRC, all 3 books are available together in one affordable mass market paperback. The Book of the New Sun (which is really one big novel split in 4) is one of the best SFF books I've ever read. And I've been wanting to reread the first 2 Gentleman Bastards books by Scott Lynch to refresh my memory for the new one, now it's finally supposed to be released soon. I'm curious to see what the group will choose.

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I can't count how many series I'm in the middle of. It would be good to have the motivation to read a shorter one! I haven't started any of these, but have been looking for an excuse to read both the Cherryh and Lynch books.

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen My resolution was to finish and not start new series. So a short complete series will appeal to me.

message 14: by Nick (last edited Apr 10, 2013 06:26AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments The polls will soon be up for our summer "Mini-Series" read. There are three possible series to vote for based on the BOTM's for April and May. Each series has its own special concerns so let me go over them briefly.

The Faded Sun trilogy of C.J. Cherryh is pretty straightforward. The first entry, The Faded Sun: Kesrith, is our May Science Fiction book. The next entry in the series would start on June 15 and the series read would end on August 15.

The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe consists of 4 books, the first of which is our May Fantasy selection The Shadow of the Torturer. At first I had thought that the series was too long for a "Mini-Series"" read (especially since there is an optional 5th book in the series). But Stefan, in a message above, encouraged its inclusion, so it's on the ballot. Should the series win, the June 15 selection would beThe Claw of the Conciliator and the series read would last until Sept. 15.

The Gentlemen Bastards series is a little more complex. We are reading the first entry in the series, The Lies of Locke Lamora, this month as our Fantasy selection. At present there is only one more published entry in the series, which we would begin on June 15.

IF the next installment, which is really a prequel of two novels, comes out in May, then we could read it beginning July 15. Otherwise, we would take two months, until August 15, to read the second installment, which would be O.K., because the books are chunksters. Refer to Random's posts above for more info. Random says The Bastards and the Knives will be an omnibus containing the novellas "The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic" and "The Choir of Knives," and it may not come out until after the 3rd installment of the "Series," due in October.

So there are the choices. The poll should be up soon.

message 15: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments THE POLL IS NOW UP! and it will be up until midnight of April 30.

So think about it, and then go vote!

message 16: by Nick (last edited Apr 30, 2013 10:08AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments The Summer Mini-Series Read poll ends tonight (Apr 30) at midnight. It is very close!

So go vote, if you've not done so by now, as I sit on the edge of my chair!

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/82...

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments THE RESULTS ARE IN!

It looks like we'll be reading The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe as our Summer Mini-Series read!

The good thing is -- we are actually starting on this IMMEDIATELY! Our May Fantasy BOTM is the first volume of the series -- The Shadow of the Torturer. Candiss will set up the BOTM threads shortly.

As a series read, however, feel free to continue to comment on "...Torturer" until June 15. At that time, in a separate Series folder, we will continue with volume 2, The Claw of the Conciliator.

July 15 will be The Sword of the Lictor.

Aug 15 will be The Citadel of the Autarch.

The series will wrap up on Sept. 15. If there is a consensus to go on with The Urth of the New Sun, we will do so. But that book is always spoken of as a one-volume "coda" to the other four, which make up a complete series (some would say a complete single novel). So we may go on to bigger and better series at that time.

In the meantime, start out with The Shadow of the Torturer as our May fantasy BOTM!