The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Shadow of the Wind - No Spoiling!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
Keep it clean.
Keep it cool.
Chat away!

message 2: by JSou (new)

JSou I still haven't received my copy I ordered last week, but I am trying to be patient.

*glances out the window to watch for the mailman*

I had never heard about this book before, but it sounds awesome! I can't wait to start it...

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) The book is FANTASTIC!! Can't wait to see how all you guys like it...

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) I'm really enjoying it. I didn't expect it to be so witty and with such colorful characters. I love Daniel. I'm not quite half done with it yet.

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison (sockweasel) | 432 comments Yay!! This was my nomination, so I'm extremely excited to hear what everyone has to say about this book. It is one of my favorites. I read it last year and just LOVED it! :)

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillybeans) Just started it. It was translated by Lucia Graves. I read her Voices from a Spanish Life and got some great Barcelona background so I am excited to read this also!

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (inexplicablybookish) Okay I am not that far into it at all but I'm really enjoying it so far! The opening was really intriguing, I can't wait to see where it goes.

Elizabeth (Alaska) About 80 pages into it. This is a fun read.

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I really enjoyed this when I read it. And who here wouldn't LOVE to go to the Cemetery Of Forgotten Books?

message 10: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jasminelparks) i didn't start it yet. but i'm definately excited now! and jessica i hope you ger yours soon!!

message 11: by Rose (last edited Apr 02, 2009 08:15AM) (new)

Rose (roseo) I just began reading it yesterday.
Yes, it does grab you from the start. As the story unfolds you want to "see" what happens next!

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie I really enjoyed this book! I find this to be one of those books that will stay with me for life!

message 13: by Apokripos (last edited Apr 03, 2009 06:09PM) (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) I thought that it might take a while before I'll ever acquire this book... I may have thought that the Law of Attraction maybe working for me because 3 days after reading this book in TNBBC, I saw this book in a bargain bookstore... Just imagine my jubilation!
Started reading this book after I bought it... The prologue about the Cemetery of Forgotten Books is so riveting... it's like being an accomplice in a deeply guarded secret... A smashing book for our monthly group read, this... ^_^

message 14: by Carly (new)

Carly | 29 comments Have to admit I'm not really impressed by this book. But I'm almost 200 pages in and it's starting to grow on me, despite the cheesiness. Plot-wise, it's a good mystery. But then I read a line like "her eyes poisoned with tears" and I have to laugh. I'm wondering if it's just bad translation.

message 15: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Apr 02, 2009 06:44PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I just thought that was part of the fun. Still only 80 pages in, I'm not expecting any great characterizations or brilliant prose, just a good old rip-roaring full of itself story with as many twists and turns as can be found in such a book.

message 16: by Poiema (new)

Poiema Love what I've read--just the first 4 chapters. Because I enjoy collecting old books, the Cemetery of Forgotten books held great appeal to my imagination. There's an aura of mystery from the beginning that is magnetic.

message 17: by Jean (new)

Jean Liota (gardenlady56) | 28 comments I'm only a couple of chapters in, and am loving the concept -- instant appeal for any book-lover. But I have to agree with Carly about the language being kind of overblown. I had the same problem with The Zookeeper's Wife -- great story, over the top writing. In this case, though, it might well be a translation thing. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks, Carly, for pointing it out.

message 18: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie | 140 comments
Me too. I love a good story--"take me on a ride" kind of thing, so I love this, but sometimes the language gets in the way--I find myself thinking "come on, get on with it."

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I just thought that was part of the fun. Still only 80 pages in, I'm not expecting any great characterizations or brilliant prose, just a good old rip-roaring full of itself story with as many twis..."

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillybeans) I am not far enough in, but many hispanic authors are extremely expressive and use magical realism to tell their stories. This could be the "over the top" descriptions you are referring to... Jill

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I have just started this book, but I have fallen deeply in love.... I was hooked with these lines:

"Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens."

message 21: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Jessica wrote: "I still haven't received my copy I ordered last week, but I am trying to be patient.

*glances out the window to watch for the mailman*

I had never heard about this book before, but it soun..."

it is really amazing, even the back cover made me fall in love with it.

message 22: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I wish there would be such a secret shop where someone takes me and i cna pick one book!

message 23: by Rose (last edited Apr 04, 2009 01:24PM) (new)

Rose (roseo) Jill wrote: "I am not far enough in, but many hispanic authors are extremely expressive and use magical realism to tell their stories. This could be the "over the top" descriptions you are referring to... Jill"

Thank you Jill. That explains alot! :D
I was wondering why I'm getting impatient and wanting to get on with the story. (Although the descriptions are beautiful and expressive.)

As Daniel says, "The abridged version, Fermin, for goodness' sake." :D

message 24: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1489 comments I'm just beginning chapter 3, so don't have a lot of impressions to share yet, but I am definitely in love with the idea of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books - wonder how many of the 'books I wish I could find again' are in it?

message 25: by Elena (new)

Elena I read this book two months ago and loved it. There were parts at first, like when Fermin is introduced, that made me wonder why is the author wasting time on this...but everything came together later.
He has another book "The Angel's Game" which is a stand alone sequel.

message 26: by Nicole (last edited Apr 04, 2009 04:03PM) (new)

Nicole  | 155 comments Thanks Elena, I had looked after I read this, but couldn't find descriptions on any of his other books - it didn't seem like too many others had been translated. Have you read The Angels's Game yet? I love Shadow of the Wind, so I'm going to get try and find that one.

message 27: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 314 comments I have owned this for several months. Thank you for nominating it, b/c it gives me a reason to move it to the top of Mount TBR.

A new job and a busy household means I've been slowing on my reading. But I'll keep this one high up so I can discuss.

message 28: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments My spanish friend read his new book and loved it.

message 29: by Claire (new)

Claire | 30 comments I read this book about 3 years ago, just before I visited Barcelona - it was great being able to visit all the places in the book. I also got my Mum and sister into it as well.

I loved the lyrical language, and perhaps I had more patience for it given I was travelling at the time, but it was a beautiful read, and thrilling mystery.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Fiona, I wasn't sure I was in the mood for this one either, but, as you say, it's the group read. Two pages was all it took for me to scooch down into my pillow, wriggle my toes, and know it was going to be fun! And, thank you, Allison, for nominating it, because I might not have picked it up otherwise.

message 31: by Carly (new)

Carly | 29 comments Jill wrote: "I am not far enough in, but many hispanic authors are extremely expressive and use magical realism to tell their stories. This could be the "over the top" descriptions you are referring to... Jill"

I dunno. This doesn't seem to qualify as magical realism. I haven't yet seen any magical elements or many realistic elements for that matter. Also I haven't heard of any Spanish authors of magical realism, only Latin American ones. The book is more romantic than anything else, or Dickensian even.

That passage about "all" books having a soul kinda rubbed me the wrong way. It's telling that Zafon romanticizes the unread, critically ignored book. His is the opposite of that, but he may have been attempting to legitimize his unoriginal storytelling abilities.

I know I'm being a downer, but I have to be the voice of dissent in most discussions. It's my way. :P

message 32: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (schaubchick) | 138 comments I finally started reading this book about an hour ago. If it wasn't for my 3 yr old wanting attention, I'd still be reading. I think I was hooked before chapter one! I find myself wishing my wonderful child would take a nap so that I could continue reading! Guess I'll have to wait until after both my boys are in bed tonight. I can already tell that I'm going to like this book immensely!!!!

message 33: by Carly (new)

Carly | 29 comments Actually when I think about it, Salman Rushdie is definitely a writer of magical realism and definitely not Latin American. But my point stands that Zafon isn't writing magical realism here.

message 34: by ScottK (new)

ScottK | 535 comments I actually read this book last January and Loved it. Just an FYI to those who have read it already and love it or those who love it while reading. Mr. Zafon has a new book coming out on April 17th, CalledEl Juego del Ángel or The Angel Game, It is a supposed Prequel to TSotW with Daniel's Grandfather as the main Character. Of course the Cemetary of Forgotten books will also play a part. Personally I can not Wait!!! :)

message 35: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1489 comments Carly wrote: "That passage about "all" books having a soul kinda rubbed me the wrong way. It's telling that Zafon romanticizes the unread, critically ignored book...."

Didn't he also say that every time a book was read, its spirit got stronger? The written word has power only if someone reads it.

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillybeans) Carly, seems we are both right. Zafron uses many influences in his writing:

"The Shadow of the Wind is a coming-of-age tale of a young boy who, through the magic of a single book, finds a purpose greater than himself and a hero in a man he's never met. With the passion of García Márquez, the irony of Dickens, and the necromancy of Poe, Carlos Ruiz Zafón spins a web of intrigue so thick that it ensnares the reader from the very first line. The Shadow of the Wind is an ode to the art of reading, but it is also the perfect example of the all-encompassing power of a well-told story."

message 37: by Jean (new)

Jean Liota (gardenlady56) | 28 comments Carly wrote: "Jill wrote: "I am not far enough in, but many hispanic authors are extremely expressive and use magical realism to tell their stories. This could be the "over the top" descriptions you are referri..."

Thanks for being a downer with me Carly. I always feel like that's my role. Happy to share it!

JG (Introverted Reader) Fiona wrote: "I have this to read and don't know... maybe I should start it next as it's the group read but not sure if I'm in the mood. Maybe it's just one of those books you should just read anyway mood or no ..."

I'm not saying that the actual story has anything to do with these, but for me this book was all Gothic like Jane Eyre but had the love of books that was so evident in Guernsey. You loved both of those, didn't you? Maybe you should at least try the first few pages.

Sort of related...I pulled a ton of quotes out of this book and added them to "my quotes" here on GR. I love all that he has to say about books and reading.

message 39: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillybeans) " A secret's worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept."

Simple yet profound. It sinks in in layers as you think about secrets you have been asked to keep or knew you needed to keep. Whether they were your private secrets or those of someone else. So much said in a short little sentence.

message 40: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillybeans) "I swallowed, feeling my pulse race, and gave silent thanks that there were no eye witnesses to my blushing, which could have set a cigar alight a foot away."

I'm a blusher. I hate the bright red burn that betrays your embarrassment. So I thought WOW, this guy has felt the same way I have and I think I could have lit a cigar or two from afar in my lifetime! :)

message 41: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillybeans) It bothered me severely that Clara's Carax novel
The Red House is the tale of someone who steals dolls and puppets, and then takes out their eyes. And Clara is blind with the white eyes. What a creepy book to read to a little blind girl. I really wonder about that tutor.

How did it strike you?

message 42: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillybeans) I am sensing a relationship between Daniel and Clara reminescent of Great Expectations..... Do you see the parallels?

Goth, Romance, Adventure, ties to many authors and stories of classic literature......

Elizabeth (Alaska) How far into this are we going to go before we start with some spoiling and need to move to the other thread?

message 44: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Fiona wrote: "I have this to read and don't know... maybe I should start it next as it's the group read but not sure if I'm in the mood. Maybe it's just one of those books you should just read anyway mood or no ..."

Fiona read it read it read it, come one fellow pusher let yourself be pushed:-))

message 45: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments ScottK wrote: "I actually read this book last January and Loved it. Just an FYI to those who have read it already and love it or those who love it while reading. Mr. Zafon has a new book coming out on April 17th,..."

my spanish friend read it in spanish and loved it jsut like this one.

Elizabeth (Alaska) And I see it listed in the free books section of GR. I hate to post this, since I've entered the lottery myself, but I'd feel awfully selfish if I won and hadn't told anyone here.

message 47: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 266 comments I'm with Fiona on this one - maybe it's just the translation - can't keep track of the characters with all the Spanish names - like Rebbie posted earlier - the language is getting in the way.

message 48: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillybeans) Hi Elizabeth, sorry if you felt I posted spoilers. I specifically didn't post key plot points but just side quotes and oddities. Everything I posted was in the first 40 pages or so. I will move to the other thread. What do we talk about here then? Just if we are liking it? Is there a schedule so that you can discuss the first so many chapters by a certain date so it isn't an all or nothing thread with the spoilers? Just learning the ropes of the club.... No offense meant.

Elizabeth (Alaska) No, Jill, you were fine and I'm way beyond the part you posted. I couldn't remember where it was and just wanted to make sure we didn't keep creeping up on that thin line that becomes a spoiler. I'm not sure about what to post here, I guess the "I like/don't like" the style sort of thing. I'm not going over to the spoiler thread until I've finished reading the book.

message 50: by Nicole (new)

Nicole  | 155 comments I can't wait until people do finish reading and talking plot points on the spoiler thread!

« previous 1