David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Requiem (Delirium, #3)
This topic is about Requiem
Buddy Reads! > Requiem Buddy Read!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 191 (191 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (last edited Mar 14, 2013 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
On Monday, March 18th, Jenny, Karen, Simone and I are starting a buddy read of Requiem, the third book in the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver. All are welcome to join the discussion!!

We like to keep our buddy reads relaxed, so no limits on pages/chapters per day, read at your own pace. But for speedier readers, please use spoiler tags and let us know how far you've read so we know when we can read your juicy thoughts!

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Hahaha... I'm in on this one too!! :) I'd better go buy and load up Requiem!

message 3: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes, yes, yes! I think you, Jenny and I are bad (or really good) influences on each other!

message 4: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh and I updated the first post to include you...because you're awesome!

Simone | 67 comments I want in on the awesomeness!!! Sign me up :)

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes, Simone!! Become one of the regular buddy readers, we need your comments like we need candy and chocolate!! I'm adding you to the first post too, because you used the word "awesomeness"

Simone | 67 comments Hey, I'll take a place of honor anytime! :)

David wrote: "Yes, yes, yes! I think you, Jenny and I are bad (or really good) influences on each other!"

I'm going to go with "good"!

Simone wrote: "I want in on the awesomeness!!! Sign me up :)"

Yay, Simone! :-D

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments Should I keep my mouth shut on this one David?

message 11: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lol you can chime in anytime you want Brooke!

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments David wrote: "Lol you can chime in anytime you want Brooke!"

Ok, once you all start chatting, I'll jump in! LOL!

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments I already read this - but I thought this comment was more suited to this discussion rather than the "What are you Reading?" discussion -

I was in BAM the other night specifically to check out the "Alex" short story that's in the hardcover. It's only a few pages, so I read it there. As I flipped through the book, I found a key scene between Alex and Lena. I read through it, and although it's a wonderful scene, it didn't have the emotional charge I remembered. Just now I listened to it on my audio version - and holy cow, what a difference. I think that's why this book was such a disappointment to me, because these characters are so alive in Delirium (the audio) and here they're so different. Sarah Drew isn't just good - she's amazing. The audio is SO worth it.

Jen wrote: "I already read this - but I thought this comment was more suited to this discussion rather than the "What are you Reading?" discussion -

I was in BAM the other night specifically to check out the..."

Ooh, I love audios! Good to know Jen! I was hoping to get this one on audio, but my elibrary didn't have it. :( I'll keep checking.

What's BAM? My tired brain can't conjure anything up.

message 15: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments Karen wrote: "Jen wrote: "I already read this - but I thought this comment was more suited to this discussion rather than the "What are you Reading?" discussion -

I was in BAM the other night specifically to c..."

BAM = Books A Million. Sarah Drew puts such emotion into it; that particular scene - to read it, it's emotional but in an "arm's distance" kind of way. When Sarah Drew reads it, you're right there, with the crying and shouting and anger and sorrow, and you just come completely undone. Like being a blind person in a movie. She doesn't make the words jump off the page, she puts you in the midst of everything. You're right there. It's amazing.

I was listening to a book this morning while in the tub and I completely get what you mean! When you hear an actor putting heart and soul into the meaning of the words, it's an entirely different experience than reading the words on a page. My brain does not put all the nuances into the words I read. I'd really like to listen to Requiem now rather than read! You've definitely peaked my interest in Sarah Drew!

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments Jen wrote: "I already read this - but I thought this comment was more suited to this discussion rather than the "What are you Reading?" discussion -

I was in BAM the other night specifically to check out the..."

I tried to read the short today while at B&N but my middle wouldn't sit still. I'm going tomorrow with my oldest and he'll sit there and read so I can see what Alex's POV is about.

message 18: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorry, started early, couldn't help myself! 20% in. OK Lauren Oliver's writing continues to AMAZE me, so beautiful! My thoughts so far (view spoiler)

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments David wrote: "Sorry, started early, couldn't help myself! 20% in. OK Lauren Oliver's writing continues to AMAZE me, so beautiful! My thoughts so far Ugh ugh ugh. Darn Alex is being a complete jerk! I know life ..."

Lauren's writing is utterly amazing. Even tho I was frustrated with this book, I really could not put it down b/c Oliver's writing tugs at you and pulls you right thru.

Dalu  | 71 comments Jen, i didnt know there was an audio! i want to listen to it so bad!

David (just answring what you said), i dont know hot to put the spolier thing so.. SPOILER ALERT!!!![ I was so sad when that (the bear scene happened, i felt like i i was going to crumble down and get depressed just for that scene, i seriously hated Alex when he said he didnt love her and he never has. Wile reading that part i couldnt take away from my head the Alex book looks like two different people!. I love Julian he is so sweet but in the bottom of my heart I still am waiting for Lena to get back with Alex, they belong together.]

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments Dalu wrote: "Jen, i didnt know there was an audio! i want to listen to it so bad!

David (just answring what you said), i dont know hot to put the spolier thing so.. SPOILER ALERT!!!![ I was so sad when that (..."

Yes, Alex is different in this book. Much harder
I did get to read his short story today at B&N, it didn't shed much light on anything for me.

Dalu  | 71 comments What do you guys think about Fred? isnt he like 10 years older than Hana? weird

David wrote: "Sorry, started early, couldn't help myself! 20% in. OK Lauren Oliver's writing continues to AMAZE me, so beautiful! My thoughts so far Ugh ugh ugh. Darn Alex is being a complete jerk! I know life ..."

I will try to keep up, but unfortunately, I'm going into a brutal work week. :( Just keep throwing in those spoiler tags and I'll catch up as I can.

Jen, I didn't look at yours! hehehehe... but you do it this way (NO spaces though) ---> < spoiler > put your spoiler in here < / spoiler >

Dalu  | 71 comments Karen wrote: "David wrote: "Sorry, started early, couldn't help myself! 20% in. OK Lauren Oliver's writing continues to AMAZE me, so beautiful! My thoughts so far Ugh ugh ugh. Darn Alex is being a complete jerk..."

I think the spoler thing was for me so thank you :)

OH whoops, you're right, Dalu. (Sorry Jen!) I just saw spoiler and flipped down quickly and Jen must have posted around there too. hahah...

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments Dalu wrote: "What do you guys think about Fred? isnt he like 10 years older than Hana? weird"

Yes, and totally strange. And he was (view spoiler), a big part of the story in the end.

message 27: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dalu wrote: "Jen, i didnt know there was an audio! i want to listen to it so bad!

David (just answring what you said), i dont know hot to put the spolier thing so.. SPOILER ALERT!!!![ I was so sad when that (..."

Yay welcome to the buddy read!!! If you could just let us know how far you are before you post and use the spoiler tags Karen showed you, then we'll all know which spoilers we can read when we get to the parts :) I am so with you that (view spoiler)

message 28: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments David wrote: "Sorry, started early, couldn't help myself! 20% in. OK Lauren Oliver's writing continues to AMAZE me, so beautiful! My thoughts so far Ugh ugh ugh. Darn Alex is being a complete jerk! I know life ..."

I keep trying to reply to this, and it keeps sounding like a soap opera. Lauren Oliver is a wonderful writer. I just wish the characters had gone a completely different direction. I'll elaborate more after hearing what all of you think.

message 29: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen wrote: "David wrote: "Sorry, started early, couldn't help myself! 20% in. OK Lauren Oliver's writing continues to AMAZE me, so beautiful! My thoughts so far Ugh ugh ugh. Darn Alex is being a complete jerk..."

Lol I need to know the rest now! It's killing me!

message 30: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Wow, we already have a huge discussion going! I might have to crack the book open tonight....You guys are killing me!

I really hope I like this one, I loved the first 2 books, but I've heard a lot of negativity on the final book. *bites fingernails*

message 31: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes, crack away!

I plan to! It's almost Monday, right?

message 33: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's Monday in Australia!

Simone | 67 comments Lets do this!!! David you should be put in time out for starting early ;)

25% in! Yay, can read the spoilers now! (view spoiler)

I'm sucked in ! ;)

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments Jen wrote: "David wrote: "Sorry, started early, couldn't help myself! 20% in. OK Lauren Oliver's writing continues to AMAZE me, so beautiful! My thoughts so far Ugh ugh ugh. Darn Alex is being a complete jerk..."

Agreed!

Dalu  | 71 comments I'm 73 % in!I can't stop reading it! i spend the whole afternoon in my bed with my ereader! Now it's 10:51 am in Argentina, and i cant believe that (view spoiler)
I'm hoping you guys are enjoying it as much as i do!

message 38: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Simone wrote: "Lets do this!!! David you should be put in time out for starting early ;)"

Haha! As long as I can read there I'm ok with that!

message 39: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen wrote: "25% in! Yay, can read the spoilers now! So what the heck IS Alex doing? He's being all nice and his old self with Coral!? Yes, he had it very bad in prison, but you would expect him to act all su..."

Ugh I know, I feel horrible for Julian.

message 40: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dalu wrote: "I'm 73 % in!I can't stop reading it! i spend the whole afternoon in my bed with my ereader! Now it's 10:51 am in Argentina, and i cant believe that [spoilers removed]
I'm hoping you guys are enjoy..."

Thanks Dalu! I want to read your spoiler so bad! I gotta catch up first :) I'm at 38% and wow! (view spoiler)

Dalu  | 71 comments David wrote: "Dalu wrote: "I'm 73 % in!I can't stop reading it! i spend the whole afternoon in my bed with my ereader! Now it's 10:51 am in Argentina, and i cant believe that [spoilers removed]
I'm hoping you ..."

David, it gets worse! so keep on reading and looking forward to see what you think!

message 42: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haha eek!!! I'm about to start reading since I finished my writing for the day. Can't wait!!!!

Simone | 67 comments I'm not that far in, but I want to smack the hell out of Hana and Alex...

Dalu  | 71 comments I am making a little break and reading Hanna before finishing Requiem

message 45: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments David wrote: "Haha eek!!! I'm about to start reading since I finished my writing for the day. Can't wait!!!!"

I can't wait until all of you finish this. I have an idea about the way it SHOULD have gone and I'm interested in what you would think of it.

And Simone - I'm with you! I wanted to smack the hell out of all of them!

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments Jen wrote: "David wrote: "Haha eek!!! I'm about to start reading since I finished my writing for the day. Can't wait!!!!"

I can't wait until all of you finish this. I have an idea about the way it SHOULD hav..."

Yup, let's smack them!

Dalu  | 71 comments I'm finished! cant wait for all of you guys to finish the book!

message 48: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Okay I'm now 57% of the way in.
(view spoiler)

Dalu  | 71 comments you all can read this when you're finished: (view spoiler)

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments So who read the short stories in order? Did anyone read Raven before reading this? Just curious if you have the same questions as me.

« previous 1 3 4