Outlander (Outlander, #1) Outlander discussion

Do I continue?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Victoria Having been totally gripped by the 1st 4 books in the series and with so many new books to read I'm debating if I should continue to pick the Outlander scab??? I felt like my questions were answered by the end of book 4 but with so many others in the series is it worth investing my time in continuing with Jamie and Clare's adventures?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I stopped reading the series after the 4th book - not because the quality wasn't there, but because I had had enough of all those bad things happening to Jamie & Claire!

Otherwise, taking a break and coming back to the series later on might be a good idea :)

Star Fouse gertt wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Having been totally gripped by the 1st 4 books in the series and with so many new books to read I'm debating if I should continue to pick the Outlander scab??? I felt like my quest..."

Ive listened to the series several times. I say continue on with it as it is well worth it! Theres soo much more to their lives that youll be missing out on if you stop here. I agree with not reading them all at once too. Take a break then delve back into Claire and Jamies world! You wont be sorry.

Victoria I really enjoyed the story and read those 1st 4 back to back but I did feel that the story was at times excessively descriptive when I had questions that wanted answering! They did seem to take over my life slightly! I've had a little break and read about 10 other books since and have enjoyed diving in and out of different story lines each time. With so much to read and so little time I wondered if there was really that much more to tell about their lives or if the series had just been spun out for the diehard fans. Maybe I'll do as you suggest and continue with bigger breaks in between :)

Suzanne I have read them and loved them, needed to get answers on herbs etc and have found that Diana has listed references etc in a separate book.I definitely will continue reading them my dilemma is whether to start the Lord John's before finishing the main series.

Caity I read the first four a few years ago and didn't continue with the rest. Picked up the 5th this winter & loved the last three so much I'm re-reading the first four again. (And have been reading the Companion.. it's turned into an Outlander obsession lol)
I definitely recommend reading all of them. 8th book comes out this fall and I cant wait!!

Wendy Victoria wrote: "Having been totally gripped by the 1st 4 books in the series and with so many new books to read I'm debating if I should continue to pick the Outlander scab??? I felt like my questions were answere..."

Yes it is! Cant wait for "Written in my own hearts blood" Sometime this year!!

Wendy Victoria wrote: "I really enjoyed the story and read those 1st 4 back to back but I did feel that the story was at times excessively descriptive when I had questions that wanted answering! They did seem to take ov..."

I read all 7 back to back and then found out about book 8 almost half way through 7. Was disappointed that I couldn't have 8 following 7, cant wait for it to come out this year anyone know if a date or whatnot have been pinned down?

Kathy Victoria wrote: "Having been totally gripped by the 1st 4 books in the series and with so many new books to read I'm debating if I should continue to pick the Outlander scab??? I felt like my questions were answere..."

Definitely continue. There are so many more things going on after that book. I've read the entire series so far and am anxiously awaiting the next one.

Angela Theel I to am struggling with this series, I think because I'm new to novels. Books 1 and 2 were easy 3 on the other hand had me dragging my heels. I'm on 5 and again find myself trudging along. I had taken a break after 200 pages and am getting back into it now finding it much easier. I'm sticking with it, but I do recommend breaks. These are meaty books, you need time to chew them over.

message 11: by Star (new) - rated it 5 stars

Star Fouse Angela wrote: "I to am struggling with this series, I think because I'm new to novels. Books 1 and 2 were easy 3 on the other hand had me dragging my heels. I'm on 5 and again find myself trudging along. I had ta..."

I agree. I have all the books on audiobooks and it takes me weeks to listen to the whole series. These are extremely long books and it gets tiresome if you try to take them all at once.

message 12: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat I loved this series of books. Have read them all and would read more!

Gretchen Callison I have loved them so much! I read them one after another and found that I was thinking about Jamie and Claire all the time, as if they were my friends. When I finished #7, I missed them! I can't wait for #8.

message 14: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Is there a no 8?

Gretchen Callison yes, coming out in the fall, called Written in My Own Heart's Blood (I hope I got that right)

Jennifer Patel Victoria wrote: "Having been totally gripped by the 1st 4 books in the series and with so many new books to read I'm debating if I should continue to pick the Outlander scab??? I felt like my questions were answere..."

Absolutely keep reading! Jamie and Claire just get better and better. The 4th book was actually my least favorite. I didn't feel the connection with Brianna and Roger and their relationship seemed strained.

Erika Definitely continue. I've read them all (Not The Lord John series) but I read them as they came out, with years in between. I can't imagine trying to read them all at once. Some books were better than others, imho, but they were all well worth reading.

David Phillips YES And thats from a man who read the book

Gretchen Callison Lord John fits into the series, read him when you get the chance!

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Angela wrote: "I to am struggling with this series, I think because I'm new to novels. Books 1 and 2 were easy 3 on the other hand had me dragging my heels. I'm on 5 and again find myself trudging along. I had ta..."

I was the same....books 1 and 2 were fabulous , but book three I just lost interest and it started getting long-winded and somewhat boring to me. Maybe I'll give it a try at some point in the future.

Chris I loved books 1 and 2, but wasn't as fond of 3. I continued to read, and was so glad that I did. Can't wait for the 8th!

Tracy I too am stuck part way through book 3 (Voyager). I have been debating picking it up and finishing it as it has been more than a few months since I've read it.

As for book #8, Gabaldon has a few excerpts from it on her site.

message 23: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Chris wrote: "I loved books 1 and 2, but wasn't as fond of 3. I continued to read, and was so glad that I did. Can't wait for the 8th!"

Hmmmmm, good to know. Maybe I gave up too soon..

Karen Kendig Victoria wrote: "Having been totally gripped by the 1st 4 books in the series and with so many new books to read I'm debating if I should continue to pick the Outlander scab??? I felt like my questions were answere..."

I have read the entire series three times over the last 12 years. Galbaldon says the entire series is about the romance between a husband and wife, which changes over time. I can't wait for the next one.

message 25: by Eileen (new) - added it

Eileen Iciek I listened to the audio books. Took pretty much all of 2011. Then I had to go to the Lord John books, and finally The Scottish Prisoner came out. Thank goodness! After listening to a couple of other books in early 2012, I decided the best thing to do was start Outlander all over again. So I did and recently finished the 2nd go round.

message 26: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Victoria wrote: "Having been totally gripped by the 1st 4 books in the series and with so many new books to read I'm debating if I should continue to pick the Outlander scab??? I felt like my questions were answere..."

I somewhat agree. I think I went the distance with three books. I've said I'd go on but... as I understand the love interest is no longer Jamie and he was who drew most of us romantics into the series. Only time will tell if I pick it up again. I'm just saying I can agree with this question. I don't know.

Karen Kendig Jamie is the love interest all the way through. Keep reading.

SheLove2Read Yes. If you've only gotten to book 4, you HAVEN'T gotten it figured out. It goes way beyond book 4 into new territory.

And to Debbie - the love interest is always Jamie. Not sure where you heard that tidbit. ;-)

message 29: by Eileen (new) - added it

Eileen Iciek Sherri of A Thousand Books wrote: "Yes. If you've only gotten to book 4, you HAVEN'T gotten it figured out. It goes way beyond book 4 into new territory.

And to Debbie - the love interest is always Jamie. Not sure where you heard t..."

I will say that some books don't seem to have as much of Jamie as I would like, but the stories move along nicely.

Alyson I agree with the masses. All seven books are worth reading. Some books/stories are better than others, but all are worth knowing. Take your time and do at your own pace.

message 31: by Penny (last edited Apr 03, 2013 04:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Penny I really enjoyed the first book best of all, as it was all new, meeting the characters and getting the gist of the story, but the whole series is well worth the read. As Alyson says some of the stories are better than others and it is well worth taking your time over them.
It is one of my favourite series of books of all time

Kathleen Shaputis Go forward and enjoy! The series continues and the evolving lives are worth every page turn. I have re-read the series every time a new book has come out and it seems I'll be traveling back in time once again this fall.

Pint-Sized Vehemence Ugh, this is the second series I've said this about, but after the first two books my interest waned. Yet again, this was a "MUST READ!" after book #1 and then I wasn't so impressed or interested after book #2 was done.

As I said with the other series, "eventually I'll get around to finishing".

Maybe this is a hint for series authors. You can't rest on your laurels, you need to give the reader something to lust after!

message 34: by Eileen (last edited Apr 03, 2013 05:20PM) (new) - added it

Eileen Iciek Desiree wrote: "Ugh, this is the second series I've said this about, but after the first two books my interest waned. Yet again, this was a "MUST READ!" after book #1 and then I wasn't so impressed or interested a..."

I will say that Dragonfly in Amber, the 2nd one, was not my favorite of the Outlander books. It was the 3rd book, Voyager, that really got to be my favorite. I have it in paper and on my kindle so if I need a Jamie & Claire fix, wherever I am, I can get it.

Laura Definitely! I say to go for it. Like many of the people who have already responded, I started out with the first a number of years ago, and then it kind of 'snowballed'. I like to make sure that I have a nice chunk of time when I know I can dedicate myself to reading such a long novel without leaving it for too long...it's probably just my style as a reader. When I finished the 7th book, I was a little bit disappointed that I didn't have book number 8 that was on my shelf, ready to be read! I can't wait to read Written in my Own Heart's Blood...I'm always kind of hoping that the release date will get moved up (even though I know that this won't happen lol)

Lorraine King I'm definitely a big Outlander fan and would say read the lot. Each book has something different to offer. But if you are questioning whether to carry on reading them then maybe have a break and read other books before you continue. There is no harm in coming back to them later. They will always be around and there are so many authors to experience. I have re read them so many times and each time I have gone back to them I am gripped. I am coming to the end of Voyager and debating whether to dive straight into book four or have a break and read something else. I have many waiting to be read on my kindle.

Janet Givens So glad to find this group. Are we groupies? I started Outlander series with #6, not knowing what it was all about. Someone recommended it. Imagine reading of Colonial times and the main character mentions Girl Scout cookies and her old Swiss Army knife. Later, (set in pre 1776 mind you) she quotes from the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere. I was thinking the editor had missed a few things. Now I've read all seven, and I've read two of them twice. (the two that are on MY Kindle; rest are on my husband's) I can't get enough of Clare and Jamie. The plot is sometimes wearisome; and the intensity can be overwhelming. I just set it down for a while. It's the full-blown, wish-I-could-meet-them characters that pull me back every time. I too am eagerly counting the days until October. (and summer is the best season up here in Vermont).

Sandra Keiter Victoria wrote: "Having been totally gripped by the 1st 4 books in the series and with so many new books to read I'm debating if I should continue to pick the Outlander scab??? I felt like my questions were answere..."

Sandra Keiter I agree with Victoria....I have read the entire series. Excellent! but it is a lot to read at one time. It is probably better to break it up with other book in between. Take your time, but definitely finish in order up to the last book. Can't wait for the next???!!! I have them on my nook and plan to reread them all.

message 40: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail I've read the entire series twice. Some books are slower than others but worth it. I can't wait for #8 there were so many cliffhangers at the end of #7 I've also read The Lord John series and enjoyed them all. You can tell that Lord John is the character of the author's heart.

message 41: by ED (last edited Apr 08, 2013 11:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ED I refused to read book seven because of the cliffhanger. How can you write something like that if you know that the next book will take years before it is published. It really annoyed me. I will read book seven together with book 8. I also found that book 5/6 contained a lot of rambling. It felt like she tried to UP the word count with... How to make medicine... and more medicine. I listened to the audio books and found myself switch off and not really take the words in. But still, over all I loved the series. Well written, great characters... a great story.

Natalie Mcdermott I loved the first 4 books but have been struggling to read the 5th. I thought I may have been losing interest because I do not have as much interest in American history. I don't feel the story is as gripping either in the 5th book. Not sure myself if I will continue with the series.

message 43: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa i always think when i embark on a series about how much time it might take me to get through.

the answer, i've discovered, is that you have nothing but time, so why not just finish? whatever time you put aside for reading, it is the same block of time now as it will be later.

so spend a month or two with jamie and claire, tatiana and alexander, or whoever. it like traveling in the old days when people went visiting. now we go away for a day or two, then it was for a month or two.

when you finish this wonderful series you will look back and associate that summer or that winter with the frasers and look back on it with love and excitement.(btw you could always begin again).

Valerie Curtis David wrote: "YES And thats from a man who read the book"
Thanks David! I loved the series and really want my husband to read them. If you like them, then there's hope :)

Irene Outlander is defenitely worth reading. the author lost me around book number 4 for it no longer held any interest. writing fantasy is far harder when there is facts or history involved.

message 46: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I so agree with those who have already said to take a break inbetween the books with other types of books and authors. The Outlander series is incredible in so many ways but as in all things in life, variety is best and not only will you know when you're ready for the next Outlander book, you'll appreciate it all the more.

Karen Victoria wrote: "Having been totally gripped by the 1st 4 books in the series and with so many new books to read I'm debating if I should continue to pick the Outlander scab??? I felt like my questions were answere..."

DEFINITELY! Bri and Roger become a focal point later. You have to read them all to get the whole picture!

Karen gertt wrote: "Debbie wrote: " as I understand the love interest is no longer Jamie and he was who drew most of us romantics into the series...."

What makes you think the love interest is no longer Jamie??

One ..."

I agree with Gertt--The main focus is always Jamie and Claire! I think if people only want the hot young romance of twitterpation, they should only read the first few books. Life is about growing more in love with your spouse and love match. Cellulite, hard times, wrinkles, fights, heartbreak, and adventure all make you fall in love more deeply with your spouse. I love that Gabaldon has made this a real relationship that lasts through two time periods and many decades.

Karen ED wrote: "I refused to read book seven because of the cliffhanger. How can you write something like that if you know that the next book will take years before it is published. It really annoyed me. I will re..."

I also am annoyed that many "side" stories have been published before book 8. Almost as if she's afraid to finish the series. I would still read the side stories after she wraps Claire and Jamie's stories up.

message 50: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary I got into the series in the fall and I've been reading them one after another. Having an e-reader helps so you can go back and remind yourself who some of the characters are that you haven't encountered in a while. If you are drawn to the books, read them!

« previous 1