2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > April 2013: The Poem Types Mini Challenge (You don't need to read poetry for this one!)

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments THE POEM TYPES MINI CHALLENGE
Duration: April 1 - April 30, 2013

This challenge is inspired by poetry, but no you don't need to read books of poetry for this one. You can read any type of book you want that suits the task.

1. Sonnets contain a rhyming scheme. Read a book with a title that contains two words that rhyme with each other (you can include the series name).

2. Haikus are best known for their brevity. Read a book under 100 pages.

3. Limericks are short, humorous poems. Read a book with "humor" listed as a genre.

4. Epic poems celebrate heroes. Read a book in which the main character is someone you consider a hero or a book about one of your personal heroes.

-----

We are looking for a leader for this challenge. Your job will be to encourage and track participants and also to answer questions. Please let us know if you're interested!

message 2: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | -15 comments hmm I will try for 2 on this one as well

message 3: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments That'd be great, Brianna!

message 4: by Lesley (last edited Apr 24, 2013 04:48AM) (new)

Lesley (laparks) Add me for 2 please!!

1/2 Completed

An Accidental Kiss by Dawn Douglas
finished 4/22/2013

1. Sonnets contain a rhyming scheme Read a book with a title that contains 2 words that rhyme with each other (series names count too)
Gamble on Engagement McMaster the Disaster #2 by Rachel Aston

message 5: by Kai (new)

Kai (uchinaguchi) This is going to be a tough one.
I'm in for all 4.

message 6: by Natalie (last edited Apr 30, 2013 09:17AM) (new)

Natalie | 325 comments THE POEM TYPES MINI CHALLENGE

Completed 3 out of 3

1. Sonnets contain a rhyming scheme. Read a book with a title that contains two words that rhyme with each other (you can include the series name).
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer Read 04/21/13

Breathless Read 04/30/13

4. Epic poems celebrate heroes. Read a book in which the main character is someone you consider a hero or a book about one of your personal heroes.
Joss Whedon: The Complete Companion: The TV Series, the Movies, the Comic Books and More: The Essential Guide to the Whedonverse Read 04/19/13

message 7: by SibylM (new)

SibylM (sibyldiane) | 223 comments I'm in for three! Probably the last three, but we'll see :)

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 468 comments One or two for me

message 9: by Laura Jane (new)

Laura Jane (loopylulaura) | 162 comments I'm fairly new to the site, so this will be my first challenge. Will definately do the first 3, going to have a think about the 4th as well. :)

message 10: by Kaitlin (last edited Apr 30, 2013 05:50PM) (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments I'm going to try for all of them.

THE POEM TYPES MINI CHALLENGE

Completed 4/4

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

The Pearl by John Steinbeck

3. Limericks are short, humorous poems. Read a book with "humor" listed as a genre.
The Underpants by Steve Martin

What Is the What by Dave Eggers

message 11: by Heather (last edited Mar 19, 2013 11:09AM) (new)

Heather (MamaDun) | 3 comments In for 3. Sonnets, Haikus & Limerick. :) I'll announce titles when I figure them out.

OK
Sonnets: One, Two, Buckle My Shoe

Haikus: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Limerick: Demon Hunting in a Dive Bar (Demon Hunting, #3) by Lexi George

message 12: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) I will try for 2

message 13: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments Im gonna skip this one!

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments I'm in for 2.

message 15: by Julia (new)

Julia (bibliocharylodis) Count me in :)

1. Garfield Fat Cat 3-Pack Vol 5.

2. think I'll skip that (I don't own a single book with less than 100 pages o.O)

3. Zum Lachen in den Keller

4. tbd

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 125 comments I am in for 3.

message 17: by Quenby (new)

Quenby (quenby23) | 35 comments I will challenge myself to read two books for this one.

message 18: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 325 comments Brianna wrote: "got you added! I love Joss Whedon so I'm super excited to know what you think of the Complete Companion. I didn't know it existed so I may have to try to find it soon!"

He's one of my personal heroes. I got the book as a secret santa gift and haven't had a chance to read it yet so this seemed like a good excuse. I'll let you know how it is.

message 19: by Erika (new)

Erika  (readingbutterfly) | 424 comments I'll aim for 3.

message 20: by Shelly (last edited May 01, 2013 10:21AM) (new)

Shelly Bretheim (shellybre) I will try for all 4

4/4

1. Sonnets contain a rhyming scheme. Read a book with a title that contains two words that rhyme with each other (you can include the series name). Then Again April 10

2. Haikus are best known for their brevity. Read a book under 100 pages. Alice in Wonderland April 3 barely made it, this book has 96 pages

3. Limericks are short, humorous poems. Read a book with "humor" listed as a genre. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy April 10

4. Epic poems celebrate heroes. Read a book in which the main character is someone you consider a hero or a book about one of your personal heroes. The Awakening April 27

message 21: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | -15 comments would a book of short stories count for haikus if it is over 100 pages?

message 22: by Vani (last edited Apr 01, 2013 09:03PM) (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments Add me in for four please. I hope I get to finish them on time. :) Go me! :D

message 23: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) I am going to go for all 4.

message 24: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | -15 comments Brianna wrote: "Robyn wrote: "would a book of short stories count for haikus if it is over 100 pages?"

It looks like that will work!"

Thanks Brianna! A short book is usually easy to squeeze in but I already have a book of short stories lined up to read this month : )

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Woods (nicole_woods65) | 841 comments I'll do 2!

I'll be keeping track of my Progress Here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 26: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Add me for two :)

message 27: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 468 comments Did
2 - haikus: The Death of Ivan Ilych

message 28: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments Halfway! Here's what I've read so far:

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments I'm also halfway to my goal of 2.

2. Haikus: Freaks 48 pages

message 30: by Robyn (last edited Apr 20, 2013 09:00PM) (new)

Robyn | -15 comments just finished A Stolen Life. I am using this one for number 4. Jaycee is a hero for not only surviving but actually living her life and using her story to help others. I may not have really loved the book but I still am inspired by her strength. 1/2 complete

message 31: by Nicole (last edited Apr 21, 2013 01:38AM) (new)

Nicole Woods (nicole_woods65) | 841 comments *UPDATE*

I have now completed My Goal for this Challenge! :D

1. Sonnets- Lines and Rhymes. Grave and Gay, by James Clarence Harvey (This can also go for Haiku, though.)

2. Haikus- A Roman legend and other poems by James Clarence Harvey

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Woods (nicole_woods65) | 841 comments Brianna wrote: "I have everyone updated till here. :) Let me know if I missed any updates!

What has been you're favorite read for this challenge so far?"

Just updated mine. :)

For this challenge I read 2 Books of Poetry by James Clarence Harvey. I didn't realize that all the Poems in the first book were included in the second one until I started reading it, but I didn't mind. I really enjoyed his poems. Almost every single one tells a tale. Some are humerus, some are tragic, some are about love, others talk about life, and still others talk of death.

I definitely enjoyed the second book (Lines and Rhymes. Grave and Gay,) the most, simply because it offered more to read (plus it had 2 Short Stories in it, as well). :)

message 33: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | -15 comments Brianna,

I would still recomend reading A Stolen Life, I think it just wasn't exactly what I was expecting. The story itself is of course gripping but it is only that way because of what happened not as much because of the way it was written. i'm not sure that even makes sense.. its been a long overnight shift lol
some people can write about absolutely nothing and make it sound interesting and attention grabbing. this book relied on the experience to cary the story more then the author

message 34: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments Brianna wrote: "I have everyone updated till here. :) Let me know if I missed any updates!

What has been you're favorite read for this challenge so far?"

My favorite of the three I've read so far is The Pearl. It's sad but it's a beautiful story and unlike other books I've read this year.

message 35: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | -15 comments i had never heard of The Pearl. it looks like a great book to keep broadening my reading horizons with : ) adding it to my list!

message 36: by SibylM (new)

SibylM (sibyldiane) | 223 comments I have done my goal of 3.

Good Dog. Stay.

Bossypants

Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard

message 37: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments I'm done with the Challenge!

Goal: 2/2

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella
The Aeneid by Virgil . It has a hero, is an epic poem....

message 38: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (laparks) Finished my 2nd one last night so this challenge is complete for me!

An Accidental Kiss by Dawn Douglas
finished 4/22/2013

1. Sonnets contain a rhyming scheme Read a book with a title that contains 2 words that rhyme with each other (series names count too)
Gamble on Engagement McMaster the Disaster #2 by Rachel Aston

message 39: by Heather (new)

Heather | 125 comments I have finished Tough Shit: Life Advice from a Fat Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith, which fulfills the epic poem task, and I am currently working on a humor book and a book with less than 100 pages. Hoping to finish them by the 30th, but so far I have only completed 1/3.

message 40: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (engelsigh) | 32 comments Is it too late to join? Can I use books I read before I joined as long as they were in April?

message 41: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 468 comments Did:
1. Sonnets: One, Two, Buckle My Shoe
2. Haikus: The Death of Ivan Ilych

So challenge accomplished

message 42: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 325 comments Finished my three and updated in post #10.

I did enjoy the Joss Whedon book though it was written before Cabin in the Woods and Avengers were released so I wish it had included more about those. Otherwise I really enjoyed the book.

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather | 125 comments I finished reading The Turn of the Screw which had less than 100 pages, adding that to the Kevin Smith book for the book about my hero, and I was able to complete 2 out of my goal of 3. It has been a rough month, but I am happy with my progress. Hopefully next month will be even better.

message 44: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) 1. Cheerage Fearage by Kimberly Dana (will finish later this afternoon)
2. Strangers in Paradise vol. 1 by Terry Moore
3. Redshirts by John Scalzi
4. Outlaw the legend of Robin Hood by Tony Lee

Done!

message 45: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments I'm done too! Here's what I read.

Completed 4/4

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

What Is the What by Dave Eggers

message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments I finished this challenge just in the nick of time. 2/2

Book under 100 pages: Freaks
Hero: Shopping, Seduction, and Mr. Selfridge ( I chose this book because Selfridge is a retail icon, and someone that I respect from a business perspective). I worked as a buyer for Marshall Field's for several years (which is where Selfridge got his start) and I've always admired how he changed the face of retail. He's definitely not a hero in regards to personal affairs, but from a retail perspective he is top notch.

message 47: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Bretheim (shellybre) THE POEM TYPES MINI CHALLENGE
4/4 FINISHED

1. Sonnets contain a rhyming scheme. Read a book with a title that contains two words that rhyme with each other (you can include the series name). Then Again April 10

2. Haikus are best known for their brevity. Read a book under 100 pages. Alice in Wonderland April 3 barely made it, this book has 96 pages

3. Limericks are short, humorous poems. Read a book with "humor" listed as a genre. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy April 10

4. Epic poems celebrate heroes. Read a book in which the main character is someone you consider a hero or a book about one of your personal heroes. The Awakening April 27

message 48: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | -15 comments i completed 1/2 so close to finishing number two now. so close!!