Books on the Nightstand discussion

my personal challenge for 2009

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlathompson) | 42 comments After computer problems and some illness, I am finally back, or let's
hope so. I decided to give myself a personal challenge for 2009. To read
at least 12 new authors. That is, never read before.
Here is my list so far;
Cormac McCarthy
Daniel Hecht
Kristen Hannah
Scott Turow
Josh Bazell

happy reading,
carla jo

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a good idea!
Ambitiously, I have Marcel Proust on my list, and on the lighter side (and by that I mean an easier read) I can think of Jodi Picoult.

message 3: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlathompson) | 42 comments I forgot Beautiful Children by Charles Bock. It was a truly disturbing book. Like a train wreck, I kept getting sick of the scene, but couldn't look away. Just plain creepy with no redemtion at the end, not even a crappy ending, the book just stopped.

message 4: by Dottie (last edited Mar 31, 2009 04:27PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 130 comments Suzanne wrote: "That's a good idea!
Ambitiously, I have Marcel Proust on my list, and on the lighter side (and by that I mean an easier read) I can think of Jodi Picoult."

Go Proust, go Proust! Oh -- sorry -- I just take every opportunity to encourage people to JUST DO IT -- read Proust, that is. Hee-hee.

New authors, eh? That is a good theme for a challenge. Last year I picked up a Brazilian author thanks to a Goodreads member's recommendation and fell in love with the books I've read thus far. Maybe I'll aim for more authors from different countries during the remainder of this year.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Dottie wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "That's a good idea!
Ambitiously, I have Marcel Proust on my list, and on the lighter side (and by that I mean an easier read) I can think of Jodi Picoult."

Go Proust, go Proust!..."

That's a good idea too, Dottie, to read authors from different countries ....
Proust intimidates me just a little bit, but Swann's Way sits on my shelf, patiently waiting for the day when I am brave enough to pick it up.

message 6: by Sandi (last edited Mar 31, 2009 09:06PM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 89 comments I think my self-challenge has to be a bit different. I've been reading almost nothing but new-to-me authors. I'll read 1 or 2 books by an author (with a long time in between readings) then get distracted by all the authors I haven't read. Some authors I'd like to re-visit:

China Miéville
Tobias Buckell
Toni Morrison
Octavia Butler

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Welcome back, Carla! Good to see you.
So what did you think of Cormac McCarthy?

Sandi, Toni Morrison is on my list of authors to revisit, as well.

Proust will just have to wait until I'm retired. Or maybe there's a graphic novel version of Swann's Way. Hmmmm......

message 8: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlathompson) | 42 comments Gee Ann, somehow I knew you would ask me that, I know you are a fan. I started with All the Pretty Horses and am now looking forward to finding an audio version of the crossing. My husband is a huge fan of his also. I enjoyed it and am ready to see what happens next.

message 9: by Dottie (last edited Apr 01, 2009 07:06PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 130 comments Ann -- there is a graphic novel version of it but you really must not read the graphic version first. And -- start now -- just read ten or twenty pages a day -- all six (or seven, depending upon which edition you choose) volumes will take one year at ten pages a day -- and no I didn't figure that out but that is how our Constant Reader group read Proust -- most of us finished in about a year and half because we took breaks on occasion and slowed down at times. It is just SO worth it -- the language is absolutely lush.

Okay -- I'll stop gushing.

I'm looking at the possibilities on the lists coming up on CR and there are lots of authors represented in translated offerings -- so I'm going to try to read some of them even if they aren't official choices for the group. Thanks, Carla, for the nudge to give myself a bit of a challenge.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Dottie wrote: "Ann -- there is a graphic novel version of it but you really must not read the graphic version first. And -- start now -- just read ten or twenty pages a day -- all six (or seven, depending upon w..."

You've inspired me to tackle Proust! I'm taking it off of the shelf and starting tonight!

message 11: by Ann (new)

Woo hoo! Go, Suzanne!

message 12: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 130 comments YES!!!! Hooray, Suzanne.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Wow... Keep us updated Suzanne!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, I only made it through 4 pages last night -- probably should not start Proust at 10:30 at night, especially when he is talking about the comfort of his bed.
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I will probably need to set up a thread for the questions I will no doubt have about what I'm reading.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Yes, set up a separate thread, so that 20 years from now when I begin the same project, I can refer back ;)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Ann wrote: "Yes, set up a separate thread, so that 20 years from now when I begin the same project, I can refer back ;)"

I've actually set up a Goodreads group called the Proust Project -- if you know of anyone that knows anything about Proust (Dottie?) please send them my way!
I'm about 110 pages in so far, some parts I'm enjoying - others, well it's a struggle; but since I've made this public commitment to get through them I will endure ....

message 17: by Ann (new)

Suzanne, I just heard about a cool book we're publishing this fall called Marcel Proust's Search for Lost Time: A Reader's Guide to Rememberance of Things Past by Patrick Alexander.

It's described as "an accessible, irreverent guide" ... meant to make the work "more accessible to the general reader through detailed plot summaries, historical and cultural background, a guide to the 50 most important characters, maps, illustrations, and a brief biography of Proust."

It's due in September. I know you've already started your project (will check out your group), but I must say that this gives me hope that I may just try this ...

message 18: by Dottie (last edited Apr 09, 2009 11:06PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 130 comments Interesting, Ann. Suzanne, I' ll check through my many archived links to find some things which may be of interest as soon as I get a chance. I will post them over in the group you started.

message 19: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlathompson) | 42 comments Two more to add to my personal challange.
Breakneck
by Erica Spindler

Little Pink Slips
by Sally Koslow

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie For me, this is the summer of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I bought it two years ago at Borders for an awesome price, now I just need to read it. Two more weeks of grad school...then I am REALLY going to start racking up books on my READ shelf!

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mkowalewski) | 46 comments I think that's a wonderful challenge!!!

My personal challenge is to read 100 books this year. Don't know if i'll get there...

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
my summer reading challenge, which I'm inviting everyone to partake in, will be announced on the 5/21 episode of the podcast... stay tuned!

message 23: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (dottiem) | 71 comments On reading challenges - Because I lead a mystery reading group, I always like to find new authors (or new books by a familiar author) so this year I decided to read my way through the NYT end of the year best list. It has 19 books on it - I have 5 to go and only two have been disappointing while at least 3 or 4 have been recommendation worthy. But it's hard to stick with an old list when every day I see new recommendations.

Dottie M.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to laugh--my personal challenge is exactly what another BOTN group member named Melissa has--to read 100 books this year. I'm on 22 so I'm trending behind but I'm holding out hope! I also have forced myself to read outside of my typical likes, and also add some classics and business books as well (typcially my least fave to read but also important for career development!) I love getting good reading challenge ideas from others in the group.

message 25: by Ann (new)

Melissa, what kind of biz books are you reading? I have lately discovered that there are some good ones out there that are classified as "business" but can be useful across all areas of life. One that comes to mind is MADE TO STICK.

And if you want to up your numbers *and* get those business books in, I strongly recommend anything by Seth Godin, but specifically Purple Cow and Meatball Sundae. They are short, quick reads, but really powerful. I think they are best digested a chapter at a time so that you can think about it over the course of the day, but since you can read the entire book in probably an hour, it's a great way to add another book to your list.

message 26: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlathompson) | 42 comments Don't Say a word, by Barbara Freethy
One more never before read author for me to add to my personal challenge
list. I did enjoy the way she wrote, very descriptive and the pace of the
book was nice. A good, however predictable story.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I really love Seth Godin--last year I called my work team the Purple Cows because of that book's messages. I just read his new one TRIBES which I loved (because it had a lot of good messages about how to create communities which reminded me of Twitter). I also recently read OUTLIERS like the rest of the universe (very interesting concepts on success). I just got BLINK by Gladwell which I'm embarrassed never to have read. I have MEATBALL SUNDAE on the shelf--I've read half of it. Also halfway through BEING BLACK by Cathie Black of Hearst because I love its messages about being a woman in business.
That was a real stream-of-consciousness post!! :)

message 28: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlathompson) | 42 comments Two new authors for me.
The Color of Water by James McBride
a truly wonderful book
and
Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath
A fun new series for me, I'll be reading more of these
Carla