Horror Aficionados discussion

NOS4A2
This topic is about NOS4A2
Novels > NOS4A2

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Braden (last edited Mar 12, 2013 04:10PM) (new)

Braden A. (megladon8) | 47 comments NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Joe Hill's latest comes out on April 30th and sounds devilish...

"Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son."

Who else will be picking this one up?

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Definitely me. I've loved his books and short stories so far.

John McNee | 57 comments Certainly. Joe Hill's yet to disappoint.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Already pre-ordered!

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments Marc-Antoine wrote: "Already pre-ordered!"

Me too! Ordered this puppy as soon as I heard about it!

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'll be reading it.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Oh yea, I'm getting this no doubt :D

message 9: by Scot (new)

Scot | 639 comments can't wait!!!

Gatorman | 8318 comments I'll read it.

message 11: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments I just finished it.

Benjamin (ben21) Just bought it.

message 13: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave Evans (grmpymnky) | 8 comments Starting it today

Char  | 14248 comments Mod
I won a copy, but even if I hadn't I would be reading it.

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I finished it today. Didn't blow me away, though, like Horns did. But it was still a sold 4-star read.

message 16: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments I wish we could give half ratings here.

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Members are still clamoring for those.

message 18: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments I often round up or down, depending on the book. This one was a 4.5 for me.

Gatorman | 8318 comments About 150 pages in. Very good so far.

message 20: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan (TheGreatBeast) Just picked it up a copy a few days ago, got a 1st ed./ 1st printing, but couldn't help myself and ordered a signed copy online. So I guess it will be my reader copy :p

Graeme Reynolds (graemereynolds) | 94 comments I'm about 75% of the way through it. I liked the little nods to Heart shaped box and some of Stephen Kings work in there, but honestly this feels more like one of his dad's books than Joe Hills. If the cover had said this was a King novel I probably wouldn't have batted an eye.
Still very good, creepy and well written, but a little predictable in places and could maybe have done with some of the excess fat trimming off it.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I heard about the nods to his dad before I started and it made me nervous. But I was glad to see there weren't many. I liked the nod (I caught only one) to Heart Shaped Box more. And there was a short story in 20th Century Ghost that reminds me quite a bit of this one.
I'm almost done too. I like it. A lot. Not as much as Horns though. It's missing the magic I felt while reading that one. But still very good.

Shawshank was mentioned which I thought was cool. :)

message 24: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Purdy | 14 comments Really excited about this one. Just finished reading Horns and am loving Joe Hill at the mo.

Gatorman | 8318 comments Almost halfway through and I agree it feels more like a King book.

Michelle Willms (michellewillms) | 7 comments I loved it completely. I am a huge Joe Hill fan, though. I loved Heart-Shaped Box (better than Horns). This book does read like a King novel, but that's what the man teethed on, for heaven's sake. He's probably had to edit out his father's voice in his other works. I liked Hill's tongue-in-cheek references to King's books and/or characters. The reference to Pennywise, though, was creepy. Pennywise still creeps me out. Hill can write, though, there is doubt in my mind. At least, he is one of MY favorite authors.

message 27: by H. (new) - rated it 4 stars

H. (hanthe) Waiting for my copy at the library. I think my fave of Hill's stuff was his collection of short stories though, 20th Century Ghosts, not either of the novels.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Favorite story?
I don't remember the name but I loved the one with the boy and his fort of boxes. I really liked 'Pop Art' too.

message 29: by H. (last edited May 12, 2013 09:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

H. (hanthe) Traci L. wrote: "Favorite story?
I don't remember the name but I loved the one with the boy and his fort of boxes. I really liked 'Pop Art' too."

Yeah, the boy with the box fort, and 'My Father's Mask' I think was the title of the other one I loved. Creepzilla.

Gatorman | 8318 comments Finished this last night. Gave it 4 stars but I think it's my least favorite of Hill's novels. Ending was a bit of a letdown, too.

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments This book is being discussed over in the Buddy Reads folder, if anyone is interested in jumping in.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 32: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments I lowered my rating from 5 stars to 4 after I have mulled it over this past week. Don't get me wrong. I really liked the book, but Heart-Shaped Box and Horns were better. Also, all the build-up to Christmasland and we didn't really learn much about it.

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It definitely was not a 5-star book for me. But it is a 4-star.

message 34: by Amy (last edited May 14, 2013 11:27AM) (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments 4.5

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked the style and main character of Horns better. But I liked the story and secondary characters better in this one. Horns was more unique though. I hadn't read anything else quite like it. This one felt more familiar.

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Amy, nah, that's too high.

message 37: by Rob (new) - added it

Rob Twinem (runner56) | 197 comments Well (as I put on another thread) I'm off to meet Joe in 2 weeks....look here :)
 photo joe_zps614f0285.jpg

and his book is not for sale until the start of his tour...ie it will be sold to me in the bookstore that evening. I loved Horns and am really looking forward to meeting Joe Hill (including a question and answer session) and cannot wait to get my hands on NOS4a2....the UK cover looks brilliant..don't you think :)

message 38: by Char (last edited May 14, 2013 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I really enjoyed NOS4A2-I gave it 4 stars.
I did not get a King vibe from this book though. Other than its length, I don't think Hill and King have a lot in common. I think King is better as far as character development goes. I have always thought that CD was his best strength.
Hill doesn't have the gift for characterization that his dad does, but he can spin a yarn, for sure.
Not really one but (view spoiler) All of which is just my opinion and I am probably completely wrong. :)

All of which makes me think of that commercial that has been running like crazy here. I think it's a bank commercial where a grown man is sitting with a group of kids. There are several of these ads but the one I'm thinking of has the little girl talking about wanting more-she says it like 5 times. This is how I felt about the story. I wanted more!

message 39: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments I felt the same way, Charlene. The Christmasland build-up and then...

:)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments And what the hell happened (view spoiler)

King is good at CD, but for me he somehow makes his characters annoying by telling us too much about them. By letting us in their head and repeating tics of theirs. This has always grated on my nerves.

I think that Hill had good CD in Heart and great CD in Horns. Everyone in Horns was interesting, from the bitch grandmother to Ig.

I can see what you're saying about King's characters and their tics-but it's part of what works for me. I still remember Larry Underwood's singing or thinking "Baby can you dig your man", throughout the entire book. :)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Charlene wrote: "I still remember Larry Underwood's singing or thinking "Baby can you dig your man", throughout the entire book. :)
..."

Jesus God, so can I.

message 44: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments LOL.

I am a big fan of closure, too, Tressa.

I love King, the detail he puts into his characters, I like, but many times his endings fall short for me. My favorite of his is The Talisman, which he co-wrote with Peter Straub. And, of course, 'Salem's Lot. That book had so much atmosphere. Classic vampire tale. I remember thinking "please, don't invite him in" when the boy came to his friend's window. I keep meaning to re-read it.

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yeah, I loved that boy from SL and didn't want him to open the window. But doesn't he open it anyway? Or he did in the movie.

message 46: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments I don't think he did open the window, that geeky boy with all the knowledge of horror thanks to his comic books. He knew.

I remember being genuinely scared reading SL, and that doesn't happen often. It had a great build-up. I loved experiencing the town turning one character at a time.

HSB scared me, too.

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Maybe in the book he doesn't, but in the movie he does. I don't know why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5HZz...

message 48: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments That movie was awful.

I honestly don't remember if he opened the window. I remember the dialogue in his head about it, so I'm thinking no, but I could be wrong, been a long time since I read it.

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Surely in the book King was smart enough to NOT have the kid open the window. That's Vampire 101, for God's sake!

message 50: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments Right?! I really want to read it again. I have the beautiful illustrated edition.

« previous 1