Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

Anime > What are you currently watching?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What series or movies are you currently watching? What do you think of them? Have you watched them before? Would you recommend them?

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) Right now, I'm working my way through:

Soul Eater
Fullmetal Alchemist
Sgt. Frog
Clannad

Sgt. Frog is epicly hilarious, and Fullmetal Alchemist is awesome!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I've seen Kanon and want to see Clannad. A lot of people like it. I really loved Kanon, so I think I'll like Clannad as well.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) I really want to see Clannad: After Story (it's on Netflix), but I need to go through the first series before I start it, so hopefully Netflix won't remove it before then! *fingers crossed*

I've never heard of Kanon, what's that about?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It's by the same studio as Clannad. Yuichi returns to a city he visited 7 years ago, though he remembers nothing of what happened. He stays with his cousin Nayuki and her mother. Throughout the series he meets several girls and helps them get through all their problems and eventually remembers what happened 7 seven years ago. I don't want to go into too much detail for fear of spoilers, but it's a really good series. Although, it'll leave you confused until the very end. I think I might rewatch it to make better sense of everything.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) Ooh, sounds cool! I'm going to add it to my to-see list:D

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Never thought of having a "to-see" list. I mean, I have a sticky note on my desktop with shows and movies I want to watch, but perhaps I should make a formal list to keep track of it all. Great idea!

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) Yeah, it's just like a TBR list on Goodreads:) I had seen a few movie trailers that piqued my interest, so I wrote them down in a notebook, and eventually I just kept adding and adding, crossing stuff off when I got around to seeing them. Yeeeeah.....my list is really long now....

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

InuYasha was my first as well. At least, as far as introducing me to anime. I watched Pokemon and Sailor Moon when I was younger, but before I knew what anime was. So I consider InuYasha my first real anime.

message 10: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments Kate I need to watch Shippuden as well! It's been a while since I have watched any Naruto :)

message 11: by Nicole (last edited Mar 15, 2013 04:59PM) (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments I tried watching 5 Centimeters Per Second because I heard it was good and Crunchyroll is streaming it for the next 3 days. Maybe it was good, but I had to quit 20 minutes in because I was completely bored out of my mind. This really isn't my cup of tea.
But that's okay, because I'm also watching a number of anime I'm loving. Foremost is Polar Bear's Café. It's absolutely delightful, hilarious, and sweet.

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) Can you believe I've never seen any Pokèmon? Ever!?

I dare call myself an anime fan...

message 13: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments Faize, you have got be kidding me!! How can you not watch Pokemon? I recommend the first season, at least the first episode! Because it is the best!

message 14: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments You can call yourself a fan, if you have covered some other essential anime

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I've seen 2 1/2 seasons of Pokemon. It got repetitive quick.

message 16: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments It does I guess, I didn't mind it when I was young lol

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It's entertaining when we're young. But when we get older it loses its amusement.

message 18: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 46 comments Faize wrote: "Right now, I'm working my way through:

Soul Eater
Fullmetal Alchemist
Sgt. Frog
Clannad

Sgt. Frog is epicly hilarious, and Fullmetal Alchemist is awesome!"

I love SGT Frog. I think it is so funny! My daughter loves it too, so it is one of the animes we can watch together (and there are not many we can watch together-she is five).

Right now I am watching:
Soul Eater
Oriemo
Shugo Chara
SGT Frog
Squid Girl
I need to finish some of these. Just like books, I am in the middle of too many Anime!

message 19: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments I am planning on watching Naruto Shippuden *excited*

message 20: by Keely (new)

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 17 comments I am currently watching:

Naruto Shippuden
Bleach
Black Butler II
Sekirei
Blue Exorcist (on the last episode)

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson (wickedshizuku) | 12 comments Currently watching: Fairy Tail, One Piece, Kamisama Kiss, Naruto Shippuden, Magi, and a few others. I only get certain days a week that I actually have time to sit and watch anime.

message 22: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments Now watching Full Metal Panic :)

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson (wickedshizuku) | 12 comments Which part of FMP there are three, and how are you liking it?

message 24: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments I just started at the first season! It is pretty good, the mecha isn't too much like Gundam. And the anime is pretty funny :)

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson (wickedshizuku) | 12 comments It's probably just me, but I liked the OVA. Have you ever watched Vision of Escaflowne?

message 26: by Ally (new)

Ally I'm currently watching Fairy Tail, One Piece and Corpse Princess/Shikabane Hime. Theres about 50 animes on my to-watch list :P

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Haha, I know the feeling. My to watch (and to read list) just keeps growing. So many interesting things are being release, it's hard to make time for them all.

I tend to watch things as they air instead of marathoning them, so I've started a number of new anime. One of the best this season is The Devil is a Part Timer. The very concept of Satan losing his powers and having to get a job at McDonald's is hilarious, and it's avoided most of the common problems of anime comedies. There was a lot of work put into this, and you can tell. The first part of the first episode is spent in a fantasy world, and they speak a made up language to express that. I love that the went to all the trouble of doing that, and the results are great.

message 28: by Anki (new)

Anki (shadrachanki) | 8 comments I am in the process of watching (or rewatching) several different series right now.

One Piece - Right now this is a rewatch for me (when we get to later episodes it will be new material for me too). I'm watching with my boyfriend, as he had not really seen it properly before (catching a few out-of-sequence episodes, mostly of the hideous 4Kids dub, does not count). We just finished the Drum Island arc and are on our way to Alabasta, but I think we may be pausing until we can get more of the DVDs.

Cardfight!! Vanguard - I just finished watching the first series/season on Crunchyroll. While some of the character designs have me shaking my head, I really appreciate that you can actually learn how to play the card game by watching the show (as opposed to other game-centric shows, where they tend to break or ignore the game rules for sake of story).

Kekkaishi - I'm watching this on VizAnime, but I've been kinda paused for the moment. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far, though!

In addition to these I have various series in queue on Crunchyroll, Netflix, and VizAnime, plus my personal DVD queue. I have to say that I really appreciate how easy it is to find legal streaming anime, at least in the USA.

message 29: by Aina (new)

Aina (computeridol) School DaysーI haven't started it yet but I'm about to. Just wondering to those who have seen it, is it good story wise or just sort of pointless with shock factor? (for example I had high hopes for another but it really didn't go anywhere for me)

message 30: by Sana (new)

Sana (minoz) | 7 comments Accel World
Sword Art Online-I've watched it before and I thought it was amazing...but I loved the first half more than the rest.
I wanna start Soul Eater. To those who have seen it, is it worth watching?

message 31: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 114 comments I love Sword Art Online!
I agree with you about loving the first half more than the second.

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Sana wrote: "I wanna start Soul Eater. To those who have seen it, is it worth watching? "

I've seen the anime and read the manga (I can't believe it's almost over! T-T). The anime is definitely worth watching. Many people dislike it's original ending, but I don't have much of a problem with it. And if you do like it, then you should definitely read the manga too.

message 33: by Sana (new)

Sana (minoz) | 7 comments Serene wrote: "Sana wrote: "I wanna start Soul Eater. To those who have seen it, is it worth watching? "

I've seen the anime and read the manga (I can't believe it's almost over! T-T). The anime is definitely wo..."

Thanks. I'll see it soon. :)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Ergo Proxy and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. I have like a bunch that I plan on watching. xD

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments I'm about half done with Le Chevalier D'Eon. I can't say I ever though I would be watching an anime based on The 3 Musketeers. I wish I could watch it with a French dub, even though I don't speak French.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished episode 13 of Digimon Adventure 01. I wanted to go back and watch this show, but not that icky English dub. I'm not a dub hater, but that dub was horrible. By the way, if you're wondering where you can by/stream Digimon sub legally, you can't really. I've tried. No legal streaming sites have it, and surprisingly enough the American DVD release doesn't have the Japanese audio, and by proxy the subs either. And if you thought you could just buy the Japanese DVDs on eBay, you'd be wrong there too. The prices are insane. If this were the situation with a show that had a good English dub, I would opt to watch the English dub. However, this English dub sucks.

I'm also almost to episode 100 of InuYasha. I'll finish that one hopefully soon!

message 37: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Wednesday wrote: "I just finished episode 13 of Digimon Adventure 01. I wanted to go back and watch this show, but not that icky English dub. I'm not a dub hater, but that dub was horrible. By the way, if you're won..."

I just watched the first two episodes of Digimon: the first in Japanese and the second in English. Both are on Netflix! I have to disagree with you on the English dub. I much prefer it. I think the voice actors are fine and sound a bit more like kids than they did in the Japanese version. Some of the Digimon voices are a bit annoying, but the same goes for the Japanese. What I really like about the English dub is the music. I think it suits the mood and setting much better. I love the theme song: D-d-digimon. Aahhh! It's so cool! And it fits better to the rhythm of the opening sequence than the Japanese song. This is one of the very few anime that I would say that I prefer in English.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristen wrote: "Wednesday wrote: "I just finished episode 13 of Digimon Adventure 01. I wanted to go back and watch this show, but not that icky English dub. I'm not a dub hater, but that dub was horrible. By the ..."

Wow, you and I seriously disagree. The dub is edited and not as mature as the original. The voices may not suck, but the editing and changes really get to me. Voices aren't the only influence for me. Dub voices can be really good, but if there are a lot of changes from the original, it ruins the show.

Okay, I'll admit I also hate how they changed some of the characters' names. Taichi=Tai, Yamato=Matt, Takeru=TK, and I forget the name they gave Koushiro. Mimi, Sora, and Jou (Joe in English) are kept the same. Digimon names are changed as well. When dubs do this I can't stand it. Pronouncing them a little different because the voice actors don't speak Japanese is one thing. But flat out changing them is not okay in my book.

message 39: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Wednesday wrote: "Wow, you and I seriously disagree. The dub is edited and not as mature as the original. The voices may not suck, but the editing and changes really get to me. Voices aren't the only influence for me. Dub voices can be really good, but if there are a lot of changes from the original, it ruins the show.

Okay, I'll admit I also hate how they changed some of the characters' names. Taichi=Tai, Yamato=Matt, Takeru=TK, and I forget the name they gave Koushiro. Mimi, Sora, and Jou (Joe in English) are kept the same. Digimon names are changed as well. When dubs do this I can't stand it. Pronouncing them a little different because the voice actors don't speak Japanese is one thing. But flat out changing them is not okay in my book."

Generally, I'm not fond of the editing done to anime, but in this case I think the show was improved. Or at least more to my tastes. I thought that the writing was funny and the music more suiting to the atmosphere.

The name changes don't bother me. I've always known them by the English names, so I'm used to referring to Taichi as Tai. I can also see why editors might feel compelled to change the names. They're easier to pronounce, spell and market if they are more...English friendly. And at least the names they used are derived from the Japanese ones instead of pulled out of thin air. YaMATo=Matt. Not something like Yamato=John.

message 40: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 46 comments I am watching Attack on Titan. It is not for the faint of heart, but it is good.It is very original and I recomend it.

I also just started watching Sword Art Online(finally). So far so good.

I am still trying to catch up on Squid girl and Oreimo.

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments I'm about half way through The Eccentric Family/Uchouten Kazoku. It's a fantastical, heartwarming, unique, and quirky story. The only thing that kind of gets in the way of my total enjoyment is the bizarre morals of the character. One of the side character wants to be eaten when he dies. An old man/tengu kidnaps a teenager and teachers her magic, and none of the characters sees how off that is. That's not even getting into how being turned into stew and eaten is a serious threat to the tanuki characters. But they don't really do much to try in prevent this or get revenge for family members who have been eaten.

But even with those impossible to understand morals, it's still just so charming. It almost has a Miyazaki/Ghibli feel to it.

message 42: by Hardian (new)

Hardian | 22 comments ^
I like Uchouten Kazoku too. The things you called bizarre regarding the morals seem not right for me too at the first time, but it's how it is in the universe as I get used to the concepts, and how the characters just see it as normal things, I think it gives the story the dark or satire side which contributes much to its substance. That there is something of constant worries below the layers of enjoyment.

message 43: by Eriel (new)

Eriel (miarainbow) | 112 comments I watch generally everything.
Now I'm watching ...
Fairy Tail
Blue Exorcist
Black Butler
SAO
Soul Eater
My Bride is a Mermaid
Dance in the Vampire Bund

message 44: by Anna (new)

Anna (AnnaTheHaibane) I try to watch a bit of everything, but right now I'm watching:
Chobits
FMA Brotherhoood (currently on hitaus until all the seasons are on netflix and/or until I get the series on DVD)

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 111 comments Michiko & Hatchin (first episode)

message 46: by Eriel (new)

Eriel (miarainbow) | 112 comments I just finished one called Okami-San and her seven companions. It was hilarious.
Now I'm watching FMA and fairy tail (again)

message 47: by Ntomoo (new)

Ntomoo Xiong | 3 comments I'm watching "my teen comedy romance" it's just an funny anime that i think everyone will love.

message 48: by Jade (new)

Jade (jade93) Bleach, D.Gray-man

message 49: by L.G. (last edited Sep 29, 2014 10:25PM) (new)

L.G. (upl8) | 12 comments I'm currently watching:
Psycho-Pass Extended Version (so much better than the orig.)
Karneval
Ghost in the Shell - Arise
Hellsing Ultimate (in HD)
Attack on Titan
Terror in Resonance
Black Butler Book of Circus
Sword Art Online 2

I just finished watching Samurai Champloo for the fourth time!

message 50: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell | 32 comments I'm currently watching Rail Wars!, GGO and Fairy Tail.

« previous 1