Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Mermaid Park
This topic is about Mermaid Park
Questions > Adding Charaters

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (last edited Mar 11, 2013 06:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle | 71 comments So this is my first book to add characters to and I just wanted to show you guys to review make sure I did it correctly, especially the disambiguation for if characters share the same name as ones in other books. Thanks! :)

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23782 comments Looks fine, though I've never added the book name, especially to a one word character.

There really is no disambiguation for characters.

Character names are used really to jog peoples memories about which characters are in which books; helpful if it is a series focusing on different characters.

Danielle | 71 comments oh okay It talked about it in the Librarian manual if they had common names or ones similar to another character in another story. Should I just remove the title from the name then?

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Danielle wrote: "oh okay It talked about it in the Librarian manual if they had common names or ones similar to another character in another story. Should I just remove the title from the name then?"

I would leave it there. The thing about having a single name like "Dylan" is that when you click on it, every book where someone has added the single name Dylan is going to appear, giving the appearance that the same Dylan is a recurring character in all those books. The point of adding the title in parentheses is to prevent this from happening.

Danielle | 71 comments Thanks for the help! :)