Start by marking “Mermaid Park” as Want to Read:
Mermaid Park

Mermaid Park

Sixteen-year-old Amy Rush doesn't expect much from her summer at the Jersey shore, until she stumbles on Mermaid Park, an old tourist spot where girls dress in fabulous costumes and put on underwater shows. Working at the park changes Amy's life in more ways than she could have imagined. She finds romance, a newfound self-confidence, and discovers breathtaking revelations ...more
Published July 7th 2005 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Mermaid Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mermaid Park

Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsTempest Rising by Tracy DeebsEverblue by Brenda PandosIngo by Helen Dunmore
YA Mermaid Novels
185 books — 833 voters
Sirena by Donna Jo NapoliIngo by Helen DunmoreHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
Sea Creatures
614 books — 937 voters

More lists with this book...

Sydney
Apr 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I do not recommend this book.

It had great premise. I've always loved mermaid stories and a book about a Mermaid Park was intriguing. But to be flat-honest, this book is depressing.
From page 1 to the end.

Amy is the protagonist who's verbally abusive step-dad never gets told off by her mother, or her mother's best friend who knows the guy is a jerk. And more than once, they want Amy to take responsibility for his behavior. What is wrong with people? There is no likeable character whatsoever.

Th
Arra Abella
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult, Girls, Fantasy lovers
Shelves: ebooks, 3-stars, its-ya
It was a good and light read. This is a book one should read when you just want to relax or chill. The plot is not as complicated as I expected it to be. I think I was just deceived by the title and the description. It is one of those books that will make you think of a different plot then you'll learn it isn't what you are expecting.

To tell you honestly, I was expecting a fantasy fiction about mermaids. Well, it was not exactly the case. I thought there will be magic involve or secrets to be re
Beckysarlo
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Mermaid Park was a very good book with an interesting story. a young girl is trying to deal with her family and being a normal teenager with a life. her mom, step dad and sister all go down to Wildwood for a weekend in the summer and while they are there, she meets a guy who she really likes. she also is wandering around one night and happens to turn up at mermaid park where you can watch mermaids swim and put on a show. immediately she is intrigued by the mermaids and tells herself she will wor ...more
Faith Chin
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grade-6
I think this book was okay, but it was fun to read. This story is about Amy Rush, a 16 year old who is tired of the distance that has grown between her and her sister, Melissa (Mel for short), tired of her stepfather's, Tom, yelling and torture at her and her mother's blindness when she can't tell its a bad thing. But, everything changes when she goes to the New Jersey shores and sees the beautiful, magical Mermaid Park. Girls dressed in sequined tail fins, flipping and dancing gracefully, putti ...more
Madison Vessels
Jul 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
Alex
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well, I'm honestly disappointed. From the beginning my attention was not grabbed. None of the characters were remotely relatable. When the "family secret" finally got revealed, it wasn't as huge of a secret as I thought it would be, but nonetheless at this point it was better than the beginning of the book. However, the resolution to the family secret was pathetic! Why do you ask?? Because there was no stinking resolution. Ugh!
Margaret
May 31, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
This book has a lot of mixed reviews but it was better than I thought it would be. I thought Amy was realistically portrayed as your average conflicted and moody teenager and I think I was much the same at that age. I guessed the family secret (well, at least most of it) revealed at the end of the book. This was a light and easy read, perfect for summer.
Destinee Helton
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book although I found the plot kinda lacking. I was expecting a more intricately laid plot with many twists and turns from the summary, but I got a very straight laced plot. However, I still enjoyed this book and I really felt for the main character. I probably won't read this book again but I recommend it to anyone who wants and quick and easy read.
Jennifer Brown
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun summer contemporary read with a few twists! There were some parts that were a little too juvenile for my liking, but overall I liked the storyline. It was a nice quick read!
Mike
DNF at around 80 pages.

I'm having trouble taking this review seriously. Because why should I? What reason has Mayall given me to take this ridiculous book seriously? She clearly put no effort into writing something realistic, and its entertainment value only lasts as long as you're willing to laugh at it. For me, that turns out not to be very long - I only have so much time, and I can't waste it on something like this.

Here's the problem: this does not read like a YA book. Not even close. This is
Bookmarks Reviews
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mermaid Park is about sixteen-year-old Amy Rush and her extreme dislike of everything having to do with her family. Her stepfather verbally abuses her, mother doesn’t realize her lovely second husband is hurting her oldest daughter, and her sister is practically perfect in every way. So when she is forced to head off to the Jersey shore with the family and an add on with an extreme hair obsession (courtesy of her sister’s social life), Amy isn’t exactly happy.

But when they arrive at the motel ow
Lyn
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-ya
Amy isn't looking forward to a three day beach vacation with her family. They'll stay at a motel owned by Lynne, her mother's godmother. She and her step-dad Tom bicker constantly. He is a bully, but Amy never misses a chance to stand up to him. Amy's sister's way of coping is to charm him, while her mother is good at ignoring conflict.

The vacation is as miserable as Amy expects it to be, but she loves the beach. She also meets someone at the pool who loves swimming as much as she does. So, Amy
Steph Su
Apr 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Sixteen-year-old Amy’s family goes back to Wildwood, on the Jersey shore, for the first time since her mom married stepfather Tom. For Amy, Wildwood promises a summer of exciting new things—such as the interested cute pool boy, Dylan, who works at her godmother Lynne’s motel, or an enchanting park she stumbles across in North Wildwood, where mermaids perform mesmerizing routines in a huge tank for audiences.

Amy manages to convince her family to let her stay and find work. She’s thrilled to final
Soobie's scared
Well, I was a bit disappointed by this one. It wasn't about real mermaids (nice oxymoron, though) but more about dysfunctional families.

Amy loves swimming, she's a bit unlucky with guys and she doesn't get along with her parents and younger sister. One summer her very unpleasant stepfather decides to take the whole family to the Jersey Shore to spend three days at the seaside.

Amy meets pool boy Dylan and accidentally discovers that (view spoiler)
Briana
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Below is an excerpt from my original review. You can read my full length review here: http://thebookpixie.blogspot.com/2010...

"Set against a beautiful and enchanting backdrop, Mermaid Park is a complex and delicately woven combination of both serious situations and joyful ones. Don't let the light-hearted cover fool you. While still having a fun and magical side, Mermaid Park is also a grounded and thought-provoking story, making it a wonderful coming-of-age novel...........

Mermaid Park is one o
Jaime
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen year old Amy finally catches a lucky break when she gets to spend the summer on the Jersey Shore with her mom's godmother who owns a seaside motel. That's when her road to self discovery and adventures begin. Amy is just your run-of-the-mill teenager who is far from Miss Popular at her high school. She has a brat for a younger sister, a nagging mother and a difficult new step-dad who is constantly bullying her. Thrilled to get away from it all, she busies herself searching for work. She ...more
Janet
Sep 01, 2010 rated it liked it
No way can I resist a novel set on the Jersey Shore! This one is a pleasant afternoon's read with some beautiful details of story and setting, but is also a fairly formulaic coming-of-age story, featuring a whole checklist of familiar teen-lit plot aspects: difficult sibling relationship, difficult relationship with step-parent figure, summer romance with its ebb and flow, shocking discovery about self/family involving great coincidences (or are they matters of destiny?). Beth Mayall gets the an ...more
Kaila
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This Book Took Me For A Loop. In A Good Way. I Was Actually Leaving The Store When I Spotted It On The Shelf And Just WANTED It. As I Began Reading, I Realized This Book Is Not At All What I Expected. I Was Expecting Magic, Water, Mermaids, Beauty and Whole Bunch More Peter-Pan Like Characters. Instead It Was An Everyday Family On Vacation Enjoying The Beach. This Is A Wonderful Coming Of Age Teen Book That Anyone Would Enjoy Reading. Amy Can't Seem To Get Along With Anyone, But When You're A Te ...more
Sara
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Somewhat insipid novel about a bratty teen who spends the summer with her godmother at her mom's childhood vacation town. I didn't find much to like about the story, except maybe the mermaid tank. The main character is an obnoxious little twit, and her family, which is about six shades of dysfunctional, never really seems to come to any acceptable conclusion to me. The girl's stepdad is basically verbally abusive, but somehow that's just fine; meanwhile, who even knows what's going on with her l ...more
Zunaira Ghazal
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
The whole book was so pretty and interesting. But I was so disappointed with the ending. It was so incomplete and—just hanging there that it was such a let down. I wish her mom would've ditched Tom. I know that it would've been a cliché but wouldn't it have been perfect? And I wish there was an epilogue where we could have seen Bruce's reaction. And Mel's book escapist tendencies were never addressed. This would've been a solid 4 star if only the ending was good enough.

But the rest of it was bri
Alina
Dec 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Aasha
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
I loved this book, ive read it 2 times now. Its about a 16 year old girl who is having problems with her family, and ends up staying with her aunt at the beach for the summer, and gets a Job at "Mermaid Park". I loved it because it was written really well, and you can kind of relate to it. I think it had some swear words in it though, but im not sure, i read it awhile ago. But its really good, and has a happy ending.
Hosbel Hernandez
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Denya
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Sixteen-year-old Amy Rush doesn t expect much from her summer at the Jersey shore, until she stumbles on Mermaid Park, an old tourist spot where girls dress in fabulous costumes and put on underwater shows. Working at the park changes Amy's life in more ways than she could have imagined. She finds romance, a newfound self-confidence, and discovers breathtaking revelations about long-buried family secrets."

Sasha Strader
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting too much out of this book. One of those things that was at the bottom of a bargain box of other books you did want, so you took it too. However, I have to say that the story was fascinatingly complex. Yes, we have the basic "girl not getting along with her parents" and "girl meets boy", but we also have building your own darn self esteem, learning to make other people more pleasant by acting better yourself, and finding out your parents are real people.
Julie
Feb 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Sabrina Rutter
I guess this is just not my type of book. The writing is not bad, but I just can't get into this one. Since I have so many other books to choose from I would rather go read one of them than force myself to read a book that I'm just not into. You never really know if you will like a book until you give it a try. so I tried it and it's just not for me.
Maggie
Oct 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
i thought it was quite boring also it wasn't really interesting. So i don't really recommend it. Unless if you like stories about people going on trips, and fake things happening. Also it was about a family going on a trip to their mothers godmother, and visiting her. I don't like this book because most of it is fake and i don't like fake things or fake people.
Catalina Sennett
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Audrey Channell
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mermaid Park is about a 16 year old girl that find an old arena. In the arena their is a pool full of fake mermaids that put on a show for little kids and adults. The 16 year old works their as a cleaning lady before she meets a boy and before she becomes one of the mermaids. The main idea is how she came connected with the other mermaids and learned how to swim.
« previous 1 3 next »
♥ Young Adult and...: Mermaid Park 1 10 Mar 27, 2014 05:18AM
Goodreads Librari...: Adding Charaters 5 35 Mar 12, 2013 01:21PM

• Selkie Girl
  • Cubanita
  • Teenage Mermaid
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • Selina Penaluna
  • Beyond the Sea (Shades of the Sea, #1)
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides #1)
  • In Great Waters
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • Merrow
  • Ascension
  • The Moon and the Tide (Marina's Tales, #2)
  • Tidal Whispers
  • Fins
  • Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings (Real Mermaids, #1)
  • Mermaid Tales from Around the World
  • Siren's Storm (Siren's Storm, #1)
  • Antara (Antara, #1)