YA/NA FANATICS discussion

GETTING TO KNOW YOU > Where Are You From?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
We have members from all over the world. Let us know where you are from:)

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
I am from Utah, USA. And I am probably moving this summer. Is anyone from Kentucky or Colorado?

**✿❀ Maki ❀✿** (tanukigrrl) | 72 comments Sara wrote: "Is anyone from Kentucky or Colorado?"

I lived in Colorado Springs for seven years, though I wasn't born there. Military dad.

I was born where I live now - Louisiana.

message 4: by Sara (last edited Mar 11, 2013 04:25PM) (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
Did you like Colorado Springs? That is exactly where we would be moving to if that is the job my husband decides on.

★MC's Corner★ (gleekidmc) | 56 comments Im from Philippines!!!
MABUHAY!

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I'm in the US

**✿❀ Maki ❀✿** (tanukigrrl) | 72 comments Sara wrote: "Did you like Colorado Springs?"

It was a very nice city. Not too big, but it has a lot of libraries around. The mountains are gorgeous, so if you like nature or hiking and camping, you'll have a lot of fun out there.

Winters are fairly snowy - you don't get snow in the city like you do up in the mountains, but it's still enough to coat everything in white for a few weeks a year.

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Rohr (wybearpress) | 22 comments Anyone from Nevada?

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
Danielle wrote: "Anyone from Nevada?"

Not much in Nevada. Where about in Nevada?

message 10: by Joanna Marie (new)

Joanna Marie (joannacapats) Philippines! :D

message 11: by Marina (new)

Marina Latcko | 16 comments Sara wrote: "Did you like Colorado Springs? That is exactly where we would be moving to if that is the job my husband decides on."

I stayed with friends in Colorado Springs - that's an amazing place, and the Garden of Gods is fantastic!

I myself am from Russia :)

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
Marina wrote: "Sara wrote: "Did you like Colorado Springs? That is exactly where we would be moving to if that is the job my husband decides on."

I stayed with friends in Colorado Springs - that's an amazing pla..."

I will have to look into that:) Is Russia as cold as I've heard?

message 13: by Marina (new)

Marina Latcko | 16 comments It really is now -10 C, i.e. 14 F.
But we got used to it by now, but when it was -14 F this December, that was cold!
It's okay when there's no wind, like now.

You probably won't believe it, but I was literally freezing in Colorado Springs (I was there in April), and people wondered: Aren't you from Russia - it's supposed to be a cold place!
But you know we keep our flats warm for a change, and it's usually 76 F in mine, so when I stayed in America, the inside was only 68 F. A real freezing place! :)

**✿❀ Maki ❀✿** (tanukigrrl) | 72 comments Marina wrote: "You probably won't believe it, but I was literally freezing in Colorado Springs (I was there in April), and people wondered: Aren't you from Russia - it's supposed to be a cold place! "

I get that a lot, having moved from Colorado to Louisiana. People say, "It snows up there! How can you be cold?" The difference there is that because of the constant humidity down here, it's always colder than it feels.

message 15: by Marina (new)

Marina Latcko | 16 comments Maki, I couldn't agree more. In my university there were girls from Siberia, who were quite accustomed to -40 C = -40 F, but complained at our -25 C (-13 F) because of this wretched humidity :)

**✿❀ Maki ❀✿** (tanukigrrl) | 72 comments Makes me miss Colorado sometimes. At least when it was cold up there, we got snow. XD

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
Marina wrote: "It really is now -10 C, i.e. 14 F.
But we got used to it by now, but when it was -14 F this December, that was cold!
It's okay when there's no wind, like now.

You probably won't believe it, but I..."

Lol. I think the weather os similar to where I at now. I am one of those guilty of keeping the indoors at 68 F. I like it slightly cool.

message 18: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 71 comments I'm from Germany. And it's been pretty cold here for the last couple of days, too (-2C/28F). It's way too cold for the middle of March! Last week we had almost 16C/60F and then on Tuesday we got so much snow they closed the Autobahn because of the icy road. There were dozens of accidents and a 50 car pile-up, it was really bad.

And I've been to Colorado twice but only once to Colorado Springs and only for a day. We visited the Garden of the Gods, some waterfall (forget the name) and the Air Force Academy. We didn't make it to the top of Pikes Peak, though because they had closed the last part due to strong winds.

But Colorado as a whole is beautiful! It's one of my favorite states together with Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah, Oregon, and Washington. :)

Sara, have you visited some of the wonderful national parks in Utah?

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
I have been to Zion's, but not since I was younger and unmarried, and more recently Panguitch, and Capitol Reef. I also went to Lake Powell a few years ago and will never return. 108 F and windy and the worst sand ever. If you had a house boat it is probably nice. We were camping.

message 20: by Chami (new)

Chami | 8 comments I am from Sri Lanka, Colombo.

message 21: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 71 comments Sara wrote: "I have been to Zion's, but not since I was younger and unmarried, and more recently Panguitch, and Capitol Reef. I also went to Lake Powell a few years ago and will never return. 108 F and windy an..."

I've never been camping and don't feel a burning need to try it. ;) We stayed in nice motels when we traveled in Utah. I really liked Zion and Capitol Reef, never heard of Panguitch - going to look that up. I like Bryce, Arches, and Canyonlands best! But even the route between the parks is spectacular. All of south Utah is unbelievably beautiful! :)

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
Panguitch is the town. We were camping in the mountains by it. It was nice. I prefer a hotel, too, but with all my kids it is expensive, plus we were camping with extended family so it was a big party...I guess it was a party.

message 23: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 71 comments I like to think that camping is a big adventure. But I've always been to chicken to try it, especially in the States with all the wild animals. Don't you have mountain lions and rattlesnakes in Utah? I'm always astonished how blasé Americans are about these things!

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
I am more worried about bears. Rattlesnakes and mountain lions are not everywhere, and we only go to designated camping sites. I would be more scared in Australia.

message 25: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 71 comments OMG, there are bears in Utah?! I wasn't even aware of that! Thought they were only further north and up in the Rockies. I would be scared in Australia, too. Guess I'm a scaredy cat. :)

**✿❀ Maki ❀✿** (tanukigrrl) | 72 comments Cassandra wrote: "I would be scared in Australia, too."

It's perfectly normal. From what I hear, Australia is a terrifying place. XD

message 27: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 71 comments Definitely. LOL :) But seriously, I've got a friend who lives south of Sydney and she got bitten by a spider while working in her garden. Luckily it didn't have a strong poison but she had to go to the doctor to get an anti-allergy shot or something.

We have some very small snakes in Germany. One sort is even slightly poisonos but not really dangerous for people and you hardly ever see them. Though I almost stepped on one of the harmless ones while going for a walk in the woods near my town. I screamed like a banshee and my sister almost fell down laughing. LOL

message 28: by Kelly (new)

Kelly McClymer (kellymcclymer) | 2 comments I've lived in Maine for 25 years, but I was born in South Carolina and lived 10 years in Delaware, so I feel like I'm from the entire East Coast (my parents retired to Florida, so I even count that state).

message 29: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
Cassandra wrote: "OMG, there are bears in Utah?! I wasn't even aware of that! Thought they were only further north and up in the Rockies. I would be scared in Australia, too. Guess I'm a scaredy cat. :)"

Lol. Yes we have had bear attacks in some areas. Never hear of mountain lion attacks even though they are here. I think they stay away from people.

message 30: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
I think Steve Erwin( hope that is right) made us all afraid of Australia;)

message 31: by Anna (Bunny) (new)

Anna (Bunny) Engelman (bunnyboo123) | 31 comments I'm from the same city as Amanda Hocking And I adore her books, my best friends little sister was best friends with her little sister years ago. That's just amazing.
I have yet to meet her, and this is a small town. Kinda small.

message 32: by Marina (new)

Marina Latcko | 16 comments Sara, dear me! 68 F! Oh no, I can't put up with cold houses - they're the only source of warmth here! :) When I was in Arizona, and the outside temperature was 104 F - that was my cup of tea, and I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought of diving in a pool for still better enjoyment, but staying for only 10 minutes inside (with your fave 68 F!)I lost any interest in cool pleasant water and just went again to sit in the scorching sun :) How wonderful!
I'm so amazed with you Americans who can walk in flip-flops when it's 33 F = 0 C!!!

Cheers to everybody from so different countries but with such common interests in reading great books!

message 33: by Marina (new)

Marina Latcko | 16 comments Guys, and what is the best place for you in the world? The place you've visited or just dream to visit? It would be nice to know if there are particular reasons, or just subtle emotions you don't even recognize, just know?
I understand this thread is about our native places, but the topic of visiting is already started :)

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
Marina wrote: "Guys, and what is the best place for you in the world? The place you've visited or just dream to visit? It would be nice to know if there are particular reasons, or just subtle emotions you don't e..."

:) I have been wanting to go to Ireland forever. I think seeing it in movies has me really wanting to go visit, especially the smaller towns.

message 35: by Marina (last edited Mar 18, 2013 12:01AM) (new)

Marina Latcko | 16 comments Oh, Ireland! It seems so pure a country, so natural... Did you celebrate St.Patrick's day yesterday? :) (for us it's yesterday)
And I just adore Italy, almost all its Mediterranean coast, but Tuscany is the best.

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
Oh yes. I would love to go to Italy! I do not drink, but we wore green:) for St. Patrick's Day.

message 37: by Marina (new)

Marina Latcko | 16 comments Italy is utterly amazing! If I could, I'd move there. Only last year we were 2 times there, and I can't have enough of this country.
And what are the usual activities on St.Patrick's? Except for drinking and wearing green? :)))

message 38: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 71 comments Yay to Ireland and Italy! :) I love 'em, too!

Ireland is beautiful, especially the west coast (Dingle pensinsula, Cliffs of Moher, and Donegal) but I loved everything really - the castles, monasteries, the old buildings in Dublin, the pretty beaches on the south coast, the quiet on the moors... Scotland is similar and I loved it there, too (especially the west coast - again :) - and Edinburgh, such a great city!

In Italy I've only been to Lago Maggiore in the north and to the region around the gulf of Napoli and Amalfi coast - absolutely stunning! But going to Italy you always have to keep in mind that it's not like the US or northern Europe. It's loud, chaotic, and dirty in some places. Nothing is organized and the traffic is a nightmare. But the people are friendly, always laughing and very exuberant and try to understand you even if you only speak a few words Italian. I'm going to Rome at the end of April and I'm very excited!

message 39: by Marina (new)

Marina Latcko | 16 comments Rome is magnificent, but not at all I was expecting when first going there. I felt awe: the city of all times and great secrets of the humanity. However, my first impression was like of an old buddy; warm and inviting, nothing too big (except Vatican Cathedral) but so adorable! I'm soooo envious you'll see it so soon! And the people are really wonderful. I've never been to Napoli but indeed heard rumors it's rather dirty.

When I get UK visa, I'll definitely visit Ireland. Or they issue their own being a different country?

message 40: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 71 comments My favorite places in the world are Scotland/Ireland, the praries and Rockies in the US, and Paris.

I have a thing for the northern landscapes - I just love the rough coasts, the mixture of blue ocean, green meadows and towering cliffs. I've been to England (Cornwall), Scotland and Ireland. If it's rainig it looks dismal but when the sun comes out it's breathtaking! They got a special light in these places it's wonderful for taking pictures. I very much want to go to Sweden, Norway, and Iceland. I also loved it in Oregon and Washington and would love to go to Maine and Canada and Nova Scotia.

I also love Colorado, South Dakota, Wyoming and Utah. Utah has probably the most astonishing and unusual landscapes ever but I also love the vastness of the prairies, the Black Hills and Yellowstone national park. :)

Places I definitely want to visit before I die would be Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, the Maldives, the Seychelles, and the pyramids in Egypt. But I love to travel and want to see EVERYTHING really! :) LOL

message 41: by Sofiraindrop (new)

Sofiraindrop I'm from Madrid, Spain

message 42: by Marina (new)

Marina Latcko | 16 comments Cassandra, that makes two of us - everywhere and everything! :) What was the most unusual place in your list, some unconventional one? Off the beaten routes? Where nobody has been but you?

message 43: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 71 comments Marina wrote: "Rome is magnificent, but not at all I was expecting when first going there. I felt awe: the city of all times and great secrets of the humanity. However, my first impression was like of an old budd..."

Yes, I've heard that Rome is not too big - I think I will like that! :) I've never been there and am quite excited. We booked the trip before the pope resigned and I hope it won't be too crowded now with all the people who want to see the new pope.

Napoli is quite dirty and they usually warn you about the criminals. But we stayed alert, walked with purpose and watched our bags at all times. Even though we were two women alone we never felt threatened. We stayed in Sorento and did trips from there to the Amalfi coast and the island of Capri. It's beautiful - just google Villa Cimbrone and watch the photos!

Ireland is independant from the UK (except for Northern Ireland) so I guess they will issue their own visa. I don't know for sure because I can travel within the EU with only my passport. But if you have the chance go there, it's great! :)

message 44: by Marina (new)

Marina Latcko | 16 comments I most certainly will go! I only have a schengen visa, but it doesn't allow me to go nowhere near UK or Ireland (: too bad Ryanair flies there almost right from my home...

message 45: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 71 comments Marina wrote: "I most certainly will go! I only have a schengen visa, but it doesn't allow me to go nowhere near UK or Ireland (: too bad Ryanair flies there almost right from my home..."

Aw, too bad. :( Where in Russia do you live?

message 46: by Marina (new)

Marina Latcko | 16 comments St.Petersburg, very close to Finland and Estonia with Ryanair and Easyjet to anywhere in Europe, so we're taking advantage of them :) And what's your location in Germany? I was only in Dusseldorf.

message 47: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1500 comments Mod
Cassandra- I am so jealous of all this traveling you do:)

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan I'm from the states. Tennessee to be exact. And yes, y'all is part of my daily vocabulary. :)

message 49: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 71 comments Marina wrote: "Cassandra, that makes two of us - everywhere and everything! :) What was the most unusual place in your list, some unconventional one? Off the beaten routes? Where nobody has been but you?"

Marina, that is a hard question. I don't think I have been anywhere where nobody has been before. But unusual for a vaccation, let me think... I always get strange looks when I tell that I have been driving through Kansas once. Obviously not a place where folks spend their vaccation. :) We were taking the Route 66 from Chicago and I always wanted to see Kansas so we made a detour. On this trip we also visited St. Louis, Oklahoma City, the Texas pandhandle, Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Nobody I know personally has ever been there but of course lots of people have. :)

On another trip we drove through parts of Nebraska and then up to the Black Hills in South Dakota. Few people seem to know how beautiful it is there! It's where Mount Rushmore is and also the Crazy Horse Memorial. When you enter that region from the south you first come through Wind Cave Nat. Park which has a prairie dog population and buffalos and of course the cave. Then comes Custer State Park, also with lots of wildlife and a great scenic route that winds up and down the hills, between huge rock formations and through tunnels, very beautiful! There are lots of great places in the Black Hills, I especially love Sylvan lake. Then there is the grave of Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane in Deadwood, the Devils Tower further north and the Badlans Nat. Park about 1 hour to the east, all very interesting places that few people seem to know.

There are lots of other places that impressed and/or delighted me but you can read about them in any travel guide I guess. One of my favorite places in the scottish highlands is the view of Loch Garry on the route from Fort William to the Isle of Skye. There are no trees up there and thus no birds or anything really and cars are only passing by every few minutes. It's absolutely quiet and peaceful and I love to stand there and just drink in that wonderful view. :)

Sorry, I've been going on and on and have probably bored everyone to tears. I will try to keep my posts shorter in future.

message 50: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 71 comments Marina wrote: "St.Petersburg, very close to Finland and Estonia with Ryanair and Easyjet to anywhere in Europe, so we're taking advantage of them :) And what's your location in Germany? I was only in Dusseldorf."

Oooooh, St. Petersburg, another fascinating place I always wanted to visit! How is it there? Do you still have snow now? How warm does it get in summer?

I live in a small town about 50km south of Frankfurt. What did you do in Düsseldorf?!? There is not much there as far as I know. ;)

« previous 1 3