Old Books, New Readers discussion

Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Gregor the Overlander
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Gregor the Overlander

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (last edited Mar 10, 2013 03:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments Last month I picked up the first book in this series on CD to listen to while I worked. Gregor the Overlander It was in the children section but I was pleasantly surprised. The language was of course easy but the story I found highly interesting. The author is Susan Collins who is most famouse for writing the Hunger Games and that almost turned me away from these books, but this was nothing at all like them.

It is about a young boy, Gregor, who's father disappeared two years ago. Now at age 11 he falls down a hole in his laundry room to the "Underland". A land where pilgrims settled int he 1600's, a land where everything is bigger except the human. Spiders, Rats (the badguys), Roaches (surprisingly not creepy), Bats and fish.

I really liked this book because Gregor did not
spend the whole book hating his family. In fact he thinks about them all the time, loves them and sacrifices a lot for them. He learns a lot on the journey and behaves like a really 11 yr. Not a 18yr in a small body.

AS is usual with children series the books get better as you go. I have just finished the third out of five and cannot wait to get the next one.

Haley I LOVE THESE BOOKS!! I read them LONG before the Hunger Games was even a trilogy, so I'm proud to say I knew and loved Suzanne Collins before she became a big deal :) I own the whole series! I think they are so much fun and so unique, and Collins does not get nearly enough credit for writing these books since The Hunger Games came out. I do love that Gregor always makes a point to mention his family and keep them safe, and I love the different plots for all the books, and I love Ripred!

The ending is... Interesting. You'll have to let me know what you think of it when you get there.

message 3: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (last edited Mar 10, 2013 04:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments I will. I also love Ripred! So far my favorite charter. I was afraid he might not be a big charter in the rest of the books after the first one, so happy that is not the case.

I also love the fact that the books feel like they were written as a series. The first book didn't end happy ever after and then Gregor gets sucked back in after the books sold well. But that each books ending connects to the next books beginnings.

Haley He was definitely my favorite character :)

I do love that they all connect really well. I also think Collins does a really good job of making her characters real and flawed. Gregor's parents and Vikus and Solovet an Hamnet and even Luxa and Gregor all have their own issues and flaws and things to work out as the series go, and that everything doesn't end perfectly.

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments I absolutely loved those books! I so wish that Susanne Collins would write another!

And I have to agree with you on Ripred. He was absolutely my favorite.

Run like the wind...

♠ Tabi⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) I LOVE these books!!!! Have to say I read them after I read Hunger Games...wish I had read them sooner! :)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments I just finished Gregor and the Marks of Secret and I will admit. It had been added to the short list of books that had made me cry.

(view spoiler) I got all choked up and a few tears even made it past my stony expression. I cannot believe it ended on such a cliff-hanger though. I am going frantic to get the next one from the library.

♠ Tabi⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) The next one is going to make you cry even more :(

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments YES!!! Ripred is alive! I know it! YEAHHHHH!!!! He is alive! I love Ripred!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.