Start by marking “Gregor and the Marks of Secret (Underland Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
Gregor and the Marks of Secret (Underland Chronicles, #4)

Gregor and the Marks of Secret

(Underland Chronicles #4)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  31,748 ratings  ·  1,257 reviews
Follow Gregor in the fourth enthralling adventure in Suzanne Collins' New York Times bestselling Underland Chronicles -- with gorgeous new cover art coming July 1st!
In Book 4 of the bestselling Underland Chronicles, Gregor is drawn ever deeper into a brewing crisis. For generations, rats have run the mice out of whatever lands they've claimed, keeping them constantly on t
Published May 1st 2007 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Gregor and the Marks of Secret, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lucy Merrill Oh yes. Their chemistry has been building up since book 2. When I read this for the first time I could sense it, but the uh, over 10 times i've re-rea…moreOh yes. Their chemistry has been building up since book 2. When I read this for the first time I could sense it, but the uh, over 10 times i've re-read it, I always catch those moments and get super excited because they are my favorite OTP. (less)

·  31,748 ratings  ·  1,257 reviews

Start your review of Gregor and the Marks of Secret (Underland Chronicles, #4)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Gregor and the Marks of Secret (Underland Chronicles, #4), Suzanne Collins
Gregor and the Marks of Secret is a high fantasy/epic fantasy novel, the fourth book in the critically acclaimed The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins. It picks up soon after the end of Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods. The novel opens with Gregor's little sister Lizzie preparing to go to camp, while Gregor and Boots head down to the Underland. Ripred introduces Gregor to the now-teenaged Pearlpelt so Gregor ca
Steven R. McEvoy
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are so many fans out there of the Hunger Games books, and every time I encounter one of them I tell them I really liked that trilogy but I absolutely love the Underland Chronicles. With each of the books in the quintet I appreciate the writing and stories more. The growth and development of the characters and the plot is amazing. Watching Lexa and Gregor grow is a wonderful experience. Not since reading Madeleine L'Engle books years ago have I wanted to know what was happening with the cha ...more
Darren Hagan
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a flipping great series. Only one issue...as much as I love Boots and she is adorable (and a bit heartbreaking), I question why you keep bringing her on dangerous adventures. She's 2 years old man, give her a break. The first three it is kind of justified because she is the prophecies, but not this one. Oh well.

The story is still great and it's also so harsh. The poor mice :'( *SPOILERS AHEAD*....The bit where a load of mice die gives an image of what gas chambers must've been like during t
Luann
Jul 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Kendra
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
For any Hunger Games fan, the earlier Suzanne Collins series is a worthwhile read. While it doesn't have the depth of THG, and is written for a younger age group (11-12 year olds), it carries many of the same themes as THG: the conflict between different groups, poverty vs wealth, violence and war. In fact, I would consider this series to be more violent and have more death, but the majority of it happens between animal species such as bats, rats, and spiders, and then humans. Various warfare is ...more
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, to-buy
Wow. I can’t believe these books keep getting darker and darker. We’re sort of left on a cliffhanger and I’m concerned because so many have died already and the last book sounds ominous cause of this prophecy that no one will explain to Gregor. Also...MOUSES (as Boots would say). My whole Merlin vs Mordred theory seems to be coming to fruition. I feel so sorry for Luxa cause no one can really understand what it’s like for her and her anger feels more justified by the end. Yes, she takes it out o ...more
Selah Pike
This installment is a little different as Gregor and Luxa defy the adults and strike out on their own. Needless to say, it doesn't go well. Exceptionally powerful and difficult themes for a MG book.
Claudia {SparrowHawk}
description

Gregor and the Marks of Secret is a book I am finding difficult to review. It would be easy to simply say the book was pleasantly engaging and full of the fantastical chaos I crave from the middle-grade genre, but then I would be lying. Granted, the book does feature the aforementioned; at the same time, however, owing to how shrewdly this book evolved into an increasingly dark storyline I was left agape! That said, I greatly appreciated the thought-provoking themes and allegorical r
Julie
So this is how a war starts, thought Gregor.

Not with two armies facing off, waiting for the signal to charge. Not with a wave of rats invading the avenues of Regalia. Not with a formation of bats swooping down on an unsuspecting colony of rats. It begins much more quietly. In a room, on a field, in a remote tunnel when someone who has power decides the time has come.

My Underland Chronicles buddy read with Stephanie continues! I liked this one much more than the previous, largely because of that
Bookbringer
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Actual rating: 2,5/5.
Sam
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it
So far this is the most mature and well-formed book in the series. The focus on ethnic-cleansing resonated with my Jewish heritage. Characters and story elements have finally begun to mature and pay off.

The old contrivances are still there, including childish prophecies, the 'rager' conceit, and dragging a toddler into the most dangerous situations imaginable. They continue to hold back what could be a pretty cool story.

The biggest complaint I have is that the Underlanders, despite having intere
Beth A.
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Another good story, lots of conflict and adventure, and fun to read. There was more friction between the characters, and I felt a little less connected to them. It did bother me that they again take the pups (kids) into a very dangerous situation, this time through a few poor decisions rather than necessity.

Unlike the previous three, this book is unresolved at the end. The next book will be a continuation of this story rather than the beginning of a new episode. I am hoping that the last book wi
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
This review is for Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane, Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods, and Gregor and the Marks of Secret (Underland Chronicles, #2-4).

I've really enjoyed reading this series to my kiddos! We're on the last book now (Gregor and the Code of Claw) and had stop due to uncontrollable crying (mine). I don't think I'll be able to keep reading this one to them before bed, because my tears make them think something is wrong with me. It's hard to explain that nothing is physically w
CekMoNSter
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Holding that one star because I was sulking..hmmph..*crowd a corner*

There`s one thing that I hate the most in this world, aside from liars. That is not knowing of things..And the name for this one, 'Marks of secret' was enough to fuel me into detest and much angriness..I want to know things, learnt them by reading, and not just be speared with reason that tells me that I`ve enough to just know, but not to learn from it..

Understand? No?

Ok, imagine HP, clueless with the infos on deathly hallows an
Mira
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shortly what I have to say about Gregor and the Marks of Secret:

Like I've enjoyed the other parts of this series, I really enjoyed this one, too. This books are fast-paced and easy to read. Suzanne Collins' writing style is gorgerously vivid and I love it. Having different kinds of characters, all the different animals, is fun and refreshing. I still think that Ripread is like another version of Haymitch, both are these crumpy mentors. That's propably why I love Ripread so much. :D I think Grego
June
Jun 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Gregor fans
I am reading the series with my 12 year old. We are really enjoying the series. However, I was vaguely dissatisfied with the ending. This time the adventure didn't end. Maybe Collins bit off more than would fit in one book and just divided this story into two books. The horror of the mice being poisoned also got to me. 5/1/10

Finished reading this with my youngest and started the 5th right away. I told him I would read to him this morning, if he got up before I went to work, since he didn't want
Gretal
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
While reading this book, I started talking to Sakina about how we thought these books might be different if they were published now. The conclusion we came to is that they'd be cursed. So I'm glad they were published when they were.
Don't let the fact that they're older or middle grade or whatever keep you from picking them up, each individual book is incredible, and as a series, they're a masterpiece that deserves just as much hype as The Hunger Games.
Kim
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Give me more!!! I love Suzanne Collins and her writing style is awesome. This book was a fast read, and I can't wait to get my hands on the last book of the series. She just loves leaving you hanging. I really enjoy that the characters are so likable, and seem so realistic. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to enjoy this series.
DavidO
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-or-5-stars
I liked this better than book 3 as the plot progressed more, but it's still not entirely living up to it's potential. It's main problem, IMHO, is that the protagonist keeps pulling his 2 year old sister along on ridiculously dangerous missions. It worked for the first 2 books, but then it started to get a bit hard to believe that events force him to bring her along over and over again.
Emily Freeman
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
This is by far the best in the series so far! The writing style is the same, but the story is so much deeper. Not as dependent on the inevitable prophecy as the others, although of course it's there! But the characters are maturing, and the historical allusions are powerful. Gotta go get the last installment!
itchy
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: electronic
"well, that takes the cake." -mrs cormaci

"...now it's a little more real than i was counting on." -mrs cormaci

p8: it was inhabited by giant talking animals -- roaches, bats, rats, spiders, and a whole slew of others -- and a race of pal-skinned, violet-eyed people who had built a beautiful stone city called regalia.
Dany
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
He wanted badly to sleep, knew he needed to. But sleep did not come

I know Gregor , I know. I read this one in one sitting through out the night when I should've been sleeping.

I haven't written a review for the other books in the series yet. But , Gregor and the Marks of Secret has been the closest book in the series for me.

Yes , there's misery , death and heartbreak in every single book (come one , this is the author of hunger games , do we expect any less?) . But Marks of secret doesn't hav
Karson
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This book definitely wasn't as good as the others. So every week Gregor goes down to the Underland the have his echolocation lessons with Ripred. So one lesson he goes down but ends us staying for another day because of Hazard's birthday party. But at Hazard's birthday party Luxa recieves the crown she gave the nibblers, and she told them to send it back to her is they were ever in trouble. So first Luxa and Gregor sneak out of Regalia to go to the jungle and see what is going on with the nibble ...more
Sarina
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Simply put, this addition to the Underland Chronicles suffers from Middle Book Syndrome. All I can say for it is that it sets the stage for the rest of the series. That and I saw most of the twists coming without really trying. That’s about it.

Hogwarts House Sorting
This is how I sorted characters of this book based on my observations and personal opinion. I only sorted the characters I know enough about to sort.
Luxa — 100% Gryffindor
Gregor — Hufflepuff or Gryffindor, I’m up for debate
Boots
bubbabooks
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-kept
This book was by far my favorite in the series. This book takes this series into a very dark place and I can’t wait to read about how this world and these characters will come to an end in the last book. I really loved Ripreds character in this installment as well. This book really hit me in the feels during multiple occasions and I hope that in the last book none of my favs will die or get hurt. This series is for sure no longer a children’s novel since it deals with extremely dark topics. Can’ ...more
Megan Lewis
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent instalment in the series. I do see some themes here which reflect the Holocaust (hatred of a people group leading to mass extermination; a suave speaker leading many to commit murder and other atrocities; other peoples banding together to fight without really considering the repercussions of a full-out war, but knowing they need to stand against injustice; etc.).
Jen
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Up way too late to finish this one, but this volume took me from thinking this was a good series to thinking it's a great one. I'm do glad I decided to finally finish the series, and am much more eager to get to the next installment than I have been at the end of the others.
Shay
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my favourite of the series because of the familiarity and hilarity between the characters, but man Luxa is annoying in this one. Otherwise, pretty solid standing in the series. Can't wait to round it off with the last one for the second time!
Perryapril2
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really like this series! I am reading it aloud to my 11 year old. I think this series has gotten better as it has gone along. This book is kind of a cliffhanger! I’m eager to finish the series with the next book!! We will see what the final prophecy brings for Gregor!
Rick Stuckwisch
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This series just gets better as it goes along, and it certainly gets more exciting as it moves toward the final book. This is my third time through the series, and I'm loving it as much as ever. Great literary setting, fabulous characters, engaging and well crafted story lines. What's not to love?
Book Review 1 3 Nov 09, 2017 08:41AM
Book Project 2 4 Apr 21, 2016 02:29PM
The Underlanders in love. 15 73 Feb 02, 2015 09:44AM

• Island of Fire  (Unwanteds, #3)
  • The Traitor of Belltroll (The Balance Keepers, #3)
  • The Fires of Calderon (The Balance Keepers, #1)
  • The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl #4)
  • The Pillars of Ponderay (The Balance Keepers, #2)
  • Closer (Tunnels, #4)
  • The People of Sparks (Book of Ember, #2)
  • Island of Dragons (Unwanteds, #7)
  • The Mountain and the Sea
  • Moxie and the Art of Rule Breaking (14 Day Mysteries, #1)
  • Psion Gamma (Psion, #2)
  • Feather and Fang (The Shapeshifter #6)
  • The Whisperer
  • Snared: Lair of the Beast (Wily Snare, #2)
  • The Tide of Unmaking (The Berinfell Prophecies #3)
  • The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1)
  • Island of Silence (Unwanteds, #2)
  • Island of Shipwrecks (Unwanteds, #5)

Since 1991, Suzanne Collins has been busy writing for children’s television. She has worked on the staffs of several Nickelodeon shows, including the Emmy-nominated hit Clarissa Explains it All and The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo. For preschool viewers, she penned multiple stories for the Emmy-nominated Little B

Underland Chronicles (5 books)
  • Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)
  • Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane (Underland Chronicles, #2)
  • Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods (Underland Chronicles, #3)
  • Gregor and the Code of Claw (Underland Chronicles, #5)