Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more... discussion

I WANT TO READ: Historical-Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to read a good Historical-Fantasy novel. It can be a series or stand-alone novel. Please tell me why it is a good one to read and supply a description for quick reference. Thank you!

message 2: by ~Brandy~ (new)

~Brandy~ | 3 comments Jo Graham has written three historical fiction books with fantasy elements. I have read two of them and have actually gone back and reread them because I enjoyed them. The first one that I read is called Black Ships and here is the synposis:

"The world is ending. One by one the mighty cities are falling, to earthquakes, to flood, to raiders on both land and sea.

In a time of war and doubt, Gull is an oracle. Daughter of a slave taken from fallen Troy, chosen at the age of seven to be the voice of the Lady of the Dead, it is her destiny to counsel kings.

When nine black ships appear, captained by an exiled Trojan prince, Gull must decide between the life she has been destined for and the most perilous adventure -- to join the remnant of her mother's people in their desperate flight. From the doomed bastions of the City of Pirates to the temples of Byblos, from the intrigues of the Egyptian court to the haunted caves beneath Mount Vesuvius, only Gull can guide Prince Aeneas on his quest, and only she can dare the gates of the Underworld itself to lead him to his destiny.

In the last shadowed days of the Age of Bronze, one woman dreams of the world beginning anew. This is her story."

I also really liked her second book about Cleopatra called Hand of Isis.

"Against the rising power of Rome, Egypt is the last and strongest bastion of the Eastern Hellenistic kingdoms.

Charmian is handmaiden to Cleopatra. She is also an oracle, gifted with ancient memories that may hold the key to preserving Egypt. Through blood and fire, war and peace, love and death, she will face a desperate struggle that will remake the future of the world."

She has a third out called Stealing Fire which I have not read. It is about Alexander the Great.

I recommended these books to a friend who is striclty a fantasy reader because she wanted to branch out. She said that she really liked them. I hope this helps!!
Happy reading. :)

message 3: by katelyn (new)

katelyn  kenitz (owl_luv) I am currently working on reading threw the outlander series by Diana gabaldon.

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) Some of my favorites

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1) by Jessica Spotswood Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #2) by Jessica Spotswood Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1) by Susan Dennard The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) by Kady Cross The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2) by Kady Cross The Girl with the Iron Touch (The Steampunk Chronicles, #3) by Kady Cross A Conspiracy of Alchemists (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow, #1) by Liesel Schwarz

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) Oh, also The Sweetest Dark (The Sweetest Dark, #1) by Shana Abe Changeling (Order of Darkness, #1) by Philippa Gregory

message 6: by Divya (new)

Divya Try Grave Mercy. I've read it recently and absolutely loved it!