Robert Jordan's:The Wheel of Time discussion

The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
This topic is about The Great Hunt
The Great Hunt Read Along Part III

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan (nrlymrtl) | 110 comments This week's discussion covers Chapters 12-20. Please beware of spoilers. Feel free to discuss here or join us on the blogosphere: http://dabofdarkness.com/2013/03/10/t...

Enjoy!

1) What do you make of Nynaeve's initial training with Verin? Is she being too stubborn? Do you think the Aes Sedai are messing with her a little?

2) Ooops! Is Rand channeling even in his sleep? Or do you think some other power pulled him, Loial, & Hurin into that alternate plane of existence?

3) Perrin is taking a calculated risk in sharing part of his wolfish gift with Ingtar. How do you think that will turn out?

4) Who and what do you think Selene is and from where does she draw her power? What is her hunger for the Horn? If you already know, feel free to critique her choice in clothing.

5) Hehe! What was your favorite part of the first meeting between the Amrylin and Nynaeve & Egwene?

6) Wow! I did not expect Rand to go for the Horn and Mat's dagger. What do you think finally pushed him over into doing so?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved the training. It was so inventive and her emotional response was completely genuine. I'd say that so far, that was my favourite part of the book (and maybe Books 1 and 2).

I still think Nynaeve's motives are horrendous, and hope someone sees through her soon.

Frank Vaisey | 10 comments 1) I think it will take something extraordinary for Nynaeve to learn to channel at will. Sounds like the Aes Sedai have experience with others in that situation.

2) It seems like pretty specific channeling is required. I doubt that it could be done accidentally. Someone must have a plan.

3) Perrin seems very worried about exposing his "gift", I'm not sure that the reaction of most people will be as bad as he thinks. Although, most people think wolves are evil, so that might make it tricky.

4) Selene seems to know too much, I think she is much older than she appears.

6) I believe that Rand's Taveren nature sometimes causes him to do things because they are necessary to preserve the pattern. I don't think he knows why he does some things, he just has to.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think you're right, Frank. I equate ta'veren with destiny. Fate is compelling Rand in a particular direction, not free will.

Susan (nrlymrtl) | 110 comments Jennifer wrote: "I loved the training. It was so inventive and her emotional response was completely genuine. I'd say that so far, that was my favourite part of the book (and maybe Books 1 and 2).

I still thin..."

I agree with Jennifer on Nynaeve's motives. Not healthy. It will damage her psyche. she's done so much good with her powers so far, but being motivated to take Moiraine down is selfish...and could well end up being destructive of those she cares about most.

Susan (nrlymrtl) | 110 comments Frank wrote: "1) I think it will take something extraordinary for Nynaeve to learn to channel at will. Sounds like the Aes Sedai have experience with others in that situation.

2) It seems like pretty specific ..."

Hi frank, good point about ta'veren. I had not really thought about that aspect until one of my blogger buddies pointed it out too.

I definitely agree that Selene is far older than she appears... and way more deadly than her apparent 'innocence' leads people to believe....well, hormone driven men anyway. I wonder how her mojo works on ladies?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan, did you like the scenes where Nynaeve is training? Particularly the one that prominently features Lan? I hinted at it earlier in our discussion, so I'm curious to have your opinion :)

Susan (nrlymrtl) | 110 comments Jennifer wrote: "Susan, did you like the scenes where Nynaeve is training? Particularly the one that prominently features Lan? I hinted at it earlier in our discussion, so I'm curious to have your opinion :)"

I know what you are talking about, but I don't think it is in this section. So to answer your question, with no spoilers, wow! I have to wonder if Nynaeve made the right choice, as she has selfish and somewhat malevolent reasons for becoming an aes sedai. I'll go into more detail next Sunday, when that particular bit is covered in the questions. Hope you don't mind.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Oops - thanks. I've now finished the book, so I'll have to be careful ;)