Natty Knights discussion

Ubik
This topic is about Ubik
Natty Knights First Group Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Post (last edited Mar 10, 2013 07:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Post | 51 comments Mod
The poll is finished and Ubik by Philip K. Dick has won.

We will begin on Monday officially, but if you feel like starting early no one is going to stop you. You have two weeks starting from Monday so March 25 is the deadline. Time to read books my nigs.

PDF
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?nm6531...

Epub
http://www.mediafire.com/?b20s32nctlv...

Edit* I guess we can use this thread for the book discussion. Just remember to put what page or chapter you are at and use spoilers

< spoiler >text< /spoiler >

Without spaces

message 2: by Miron Gains (new)

Miron Gains (mirongains) | 19 comments Das it mayn. Already 2 chapters in and loving it so far. Dick's ability to illustrate such abstract ideas and make it seem so common place is astounding.

Bernardo (hiffwe) | 5 comments God speed

message 4: by Roy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roy Blackstone | 14 comments It begins.

message 5: by Marvelous (new)

Marvelous | 1 comments I'm going to finish up 59 seconds, so i'll read it next week.

Skippy | 18 comments Miron Gains wrote: "Das it mayn. Already 2 chapters in and loving it so far. Dick's ability to illustrate such abstract ideas and make it seem so common place is astounding."

I didn't get any of this, to me, it's just a really interesting story. I can pick up on these things in movies and games but not books.

I guess the ability to do that comes with time? I'm using all my might just to understand what's going on in the story as I'm very new to reading books and not greentext.

Post | 51 comments Mod
Skippy wrote: "Miron Gains wrote: "Das it mayn. Already 2 chapters in and loving it so far. Dick's ability to illustrate such abstract ideas and make it seem so common place is astounding."

I didn't get any of t..."

It will come in time. Speaking of movies there is a script of Ubik that Philip K Dick has made himself that's been sitting in Hollywood limbo for over 30 years

message 8: by Roy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roy Blackstone | 14 comments Post wrote: "It will come in time. Speaking of movies there is a script of Ubik that Philip K Dick has made himself that's been sitting in Hollywood limbo for over 30 years"

I saw that when I looked the book up, and according to wikipedia: In 2013, the project is moving forward with the addition of screenwriter Jeff Vintar.

Seems like this story has a bit of a cyberpunk theme to it so mite b cool

Kadech | 24 comments Mod
I have just finished the book and I have to say that I liked it. It was the first book I have read from this author.

Things I liked:

-The concept of half-life was very original and interesting.
- As much as I had tried to guess the real explanation as to why so many bizarre events were taking place throughout the story, it was something that I would never think of.
-The ending.

Things I did not like so much:
- I did not feel very immersed in the story, until maybe, chapter 13 when things started to kick off

Overall it was well written, and if you are struggling with the reading just persist. Things will make much more sense later in the book.

message 10: by Post (new) - rated it 4 stars

Post | 51 comments Mod
Kadech wrote: "I have just finished the book and I have to say that I liked it. It was the first book I have read from this author.

Things I liked:

-The concept of half-life was very original and interesting...."

Damn you don't mess around I really should have checked the page length I thought this book was longer. Might shorten the time from two weeks

message 11: by Skippy (last edited Mar 13, 2013 03:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skippy | 18 comments Aswell as HHGTTG 1 2 and 3, this is the only other book I've read and I'm 47% through it.

Although tbh, I'm really enjoying the book and if it wasn't as good as it is, I probably wouldn't have read as much.

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Miron Gains (new)

Miron Gains (mirongains) | 19 comments @Skippy - When it comes to juggling plot points and concepts in written works, time and persistence is your best friend.

What really helped me was improving my ability to visualize what I was reading. Create a scene in your head, so the more vivid it becomes the easier it is to relay back to what was happening when you need to reference it.

message 13: by Roy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roy Blackstone | 14 comments Agreed with Miron. When you read, you can't do it for the sake of reading words, you need to visualize or otherwise digest the material that you're reading. Makes it a lot easier to follow.

As for some discussion of the book itself, it's pretty interesting so far. It seems like Ubik is some sort of all purpose spray, judging from the cover of the book. I wonder what would happen if you didn't "avoid prolonged use" though. Maybe it's explained later in the book (I'm a little over halfway through).

message 14: by Air (new)

Air (airgains) | 14 comments Just finished it. Phenomenal, probably one of the best books I've read so far.

Looking forward to the discussions when you guys finish

Komrade (komradevalter) | 19 comments Mod
Protoman wrote: "It seems like Ubik is some sort of all purpose spray, judging from the cover of the book. I wonder what would happen if you didn't "avoid prolonged use" though"
Going to the gym no longer productive? Muscles not growing? Not seeing any more gains? Try Ubik! With just a single whisk,you'll be seeing your squats and deadlifts improve tenfold! May cause t-rex mode and loss of nattyness if not used as prescribed.

But seriously,I love the book so far. The plot really picks up at about halfway!

message 16: by Miron Gains (new)

Miron Gains (mirongains) | 19 comments Just finished it. Really easy read with enough detail to keep it fresh.

(view spoiler)

Kadech | 24 comments Mod
Miron Gains wrote: "Just finished it. Really easy read with enough detail to keep it fresh.

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Miron Gains (new)

Miron Gains (mirongains) | 19 comments If warranted, I want to throw out a couple book suggestions for the next poll. Feel free to le downvote me into oblivion if need be.

Marcus Aurelius' Meditations - In my opinion, the most /fit/ philosophy out there.
Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle - Hilarious dystopian fiction by a great american novelist
Guns Germs and Steel - Why civilizations strive and why others fail and everything in between.

message 19: by Post (new) - rated it 4 stars

Post | 51 comments Mod
hmmm 2 weeks seems to long now a few of you guys have been finished for a while. We need to find the sweetspot

Skippy | 18 comments So when is the new poll? I don't really want to wait a few days after the 2 week deadline for Ubik is up.

message 21: by Post (new) - rated it 4 stars

Post | 51 comments Mod
Fine nigga I'll set that shit up now

message 22: by Roy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roy Blackstone | 14 comments Miron Gains wrote: "If warranted, I want to throw out a couple book suggestions for the next poll. Feel free to le downvote me into oblivion if need be.

Marcus Aurelius' Meditations - In my opinion, the most /fit/ p..."

seconded on the first two suggestions, not sure on the third. It's really cool seeing so many people actually interested in this book club stuff and it's gotten me back into reading, so thanks Post.

message 23: by Post (new) - rated it 4 stars

Post | 51 comments Mod
Protoman wrote: "Miron Gains wrote: "If warranted, I want to throw out a couple book suggestions for the next poll. Feel free to le downvote me into oblivion if need be.

Marcus Aurelius' Meditations - In my opini..."

We got 60 people now I thought we would have more joining the group readings. Also funny enough I have barely been reading anything since I started this I'm still only on CH2 of Ubik I'll probably sit down and spend the entire day tomorrow to read it

message 24: by Alec (new)

Alec (amcsw) | 1 comments I've just joined, and I've now a 3 week break so I'll get to reading before the deadline ideally.

message 25: by Cam (new)

Cam Nostos | 1 comments New joiner. Will download the ePub for my Kindle, as for some of the suggestions above Jared Diamond is a bit of a funny one but the book is good, Socratic dialogues are superior to Roman ones. If you want an insightful book with temporal confusion and some magic realism go for Samarkand by Amin Maalouf. For pure surrealism I highly recommend Borges, Labyrinths.

message 26: by Miron Gains (new)

Miron Gains (mirongains) | 19 comments Poll is down. Winner isn't displayed. Itching to read book. This is not good.

message 27: by Post (new) - rated it 4 stars

Post | 51 comments Mod
Well time is up for ubik. Fucking ties I swear I'm gonna start hookin people in the gabber