What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The House on Parchment Street
This topic is about The House on Parchment Street
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA mystery dealing with a house with a Priest's Hole in it [s]

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (last edited May 08, 2013 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments I might as well juggle a couple of posts :D

Anyway, this book involves a young boy, probably early to mid teens, who goes to live in England from the US. I think he is orphaned but don't remember for certain. I'm certain the family he lives with or is neighbors to have a boy and girl also mid teens. I recall a section where the kids discuss slang because the hero called someone crazy and the others didn't know what he meant. (Learned what "barmy" meant from this book :D )

The mystery involves a Priest Hole and I believe a tunnel left from the Civil War in the house. I think the actual location of the hole was lost and the kids were searching for it.

beyond this I got nuttin!

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Rector Henderson | 6 comments This sounds like Dead of Winter by Chris Priestly

Kris | 215 comments Nope.

I read this one back in the late 70s or early 80s.

Kris | 215 comments No priests hiding in holes around here?

message 6: by Andria (new) - added it

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
oh, wait, that's set in Georgia, not England. It does have a priest's hole and a tunnel, though.

Kris | 215 comments Yeah, definitely not in Georgia. I did read a lot of Wylly St John way back :D

message 8: by Andria (new) - added it

Me too! My BFF and I used to argue over the right way to pronounce "Wylly" (is it Wiley or Willie?)

Google books also hit on Time Tangle as having both a Priest's Hole and mention of Civil War, but that has a girl MC.

Kris | 215 comments Nope, from the few comments on it, it's not the one. I think there is a girl in it but no one is at school or living in fantasy worlds.

message 10: by Andria (new) - added it

Alright, let's try this one: The Bassumtyte Treasure

message 11: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments The name isn't familiar, but if I knew THAT I wouldn't be asking here!

The description sounds promising... I wonder if I can find it locally

message 12: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Okay, I found a copy that will cost 1.80$ so I ordered it... at this rate Andria will fill my bookshelves!

I will let you know in 2 weeks or so if it's ther right one.

message 13: by Andria (new) - added it

hahahahaha, just doing my part to keep used bookstores in business. ;)

I hope this is it! I read a lot of Jane Louise Curry's books around the same time I was reading Wylly Folk St John, so maybe...

message 14: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments I can't recall if I've read her.. but I was such a voracious reader that I probably have.

The description I found at Amazon, in all honesty, could be either of the books I am looking for...

message 15: by Andria (new) - added it

I had that thought too, Kris! I do hope we can solve at least one of your mystery book mysteries!

message 16: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments According to Amazon, sometime between 3-29 and tax day... :)

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Well, maybe you'll get lucky and it will get there MUCH faster than Tax Day (shuddering and making signs to ward off evil at the thought of the IRS.)

message 18: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Well, maybe you'll get lucky and it will get there MUCH faster than Tax Day (shuddering and making signs to ward off evil at the thought of the IRS.)"

Hahahahahaha! Yes, I hope so!

message 19: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments The book has shipped. Now the wait is to see if it comes via Mars like usual or goes to Neptune first.

message 20: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments The book arrived today. I will return soon...

message 21: by Andria (new) - added it

I'm on the edge of my seat!

message 22: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Um yeah sorry to be slow, life happened. Sadly Bassumtyte Treasure, which was a highly enjoyable read, is not one of the books I'm looking for...

message 23: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments I have a short review of The Bassumtye Treasure up. It was a very enjoyable book, thank you Andria!

message 24: by Andria (new) - added it

oh, blast. I really hoped you were going to come back and say it had a priest's hole AND a rose rent and we had solved both your mysteries at once!

I'll keep looking around....

message 25: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Sowwy!

But thank you very much and as it turned out I have read this author. A very very long time ago tho...

Barbara Brien | 151 comments Have you looked at The House on Parchment Street? If it is the book I'm thinking of, then it sounds similar to your description.

message 27: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
That might be it! I read Patricia McKillip voraciously!

*Checks Amazon* OMG YES! I'm 99% certain that cover is it!
THANK YOU Barbara!!

I will order it and let y'all know.

message 28: by Andria (new) - added it

Yaaaaaaay!!

message 29: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33468 comments Mod
Ah, this is another fascinating book-tracking mystery that I (and I'm sure others) have been following on Goodreads. Better than the book? :)

message 30: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments The House on Parchment Street arrived today. I think I will start it this afternoon. It will be a pleasant diversion from the dry history (How did he make the topic of sex boring?) I am currently reading :D

message 31: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Ok Kris--waiting with bated breath for your report. Kind of bouncing in my seat with the excitement.

message 32: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments I forgot to take the book with me today.. tomorrow, I promise!

And I haven't forgot about scans on The Mystery Gatepost

message 33: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments I started reading this morning and YES this is the book I wanted!
Funny thing I remember reading it about once a year when I was around 15, back in the late 70s. Kind of like running into an old friend again.

message 34: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Finished and the review is up. Definitely the book I was looking for, but I think I was conflating another book with Parchment Street,but I can't remember enough of that one to start a search thread.

Thank you again Barbara