A bit of this and that discussion

Monthly Reads > What would you like us to read??

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments Please let me know whatever you want to read next?? i will add to the monthly read list :)

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments I would love some suggestions of books anyone would like us to read?
All books suggested will be read...no polling or nominating!
I would like to suggest for this month Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn as it's the only Gillian Flynn book i have still to read.
Hopefully someone will suggest another read...maybe something spooky for Halloween?

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments My second choice is The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes
Really looking forward to reading this one so hope someone will join me!! :)
Book Blurb:

The jaw-dropping, page-turning, critically-acclaimed book of the year: a serial-killer thriller unlike any other from the award-winning Lauren Beukes. ‘GONE GIRL has not exactly gone. But THE SHINING GIRLS have arrived’ (The Times).

“It’s not my fault. It’s yours. You shouldn’t shine. You shouldn’t make me do this.”

THE GIRL WHO WOULDN’T DIE

Kirby is lucky she survived the attack. She is sure there were other victims were less fortunate, but the evidence she finds is … impossible.

HUNTING A KILLER WHO SHOULDN’T EXIST

Harper stalks his shining girls through the years – and cuts the spark out of them. But what if the one that got away came
back for him?

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments Any suggestions will be added straight to the Reading NOW shelf .... whatever your reading now ..let me know and i'll add to the Oct/Nov reads :)

message 5: by Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition (last edited Oct 15, 2013 01:58PM) (new)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Hi Kate!
This is what I am reading right now:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The Witch Family by Eleanor Estes
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King
The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

This is what I have lined up to read:
The House At Riverton by Kate Morton
A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin - this is the 3rd book of "A Game of Thrones
First Night of Summer by Landon Parham
These Violent Delights by Sharon Linnea

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments Hi Terry - i will add all these to our to read list. I like the look of "These Violent Delights"

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition "These Violent Delights" was reccomended to me by a friend who works for a local publisher. The author actually lives nearby (near to me, that is). I got the book free during a promotion a few months ago, but it is available on the GoodReads site.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments I would also like to suggest for December The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

Anymore suggestions? please add :)

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments Hi Terry - i know you've read Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King but i'm going to add that for December too ..looks like a great read !

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments Hi Terry - i know you've read Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King but i'm going to add that for December too ..looks like a great read !

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments Any suggestions for reads? Shout them out!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I would like to read "Black & Blue" by Anna Quindlen. It's not a new book, in fact, I read it at least 10 years ago. But that is one book that has stayed with me forever, it's kind of haunting. I would love to read it again.

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) I'll second Black and Blue, Terry. It's on my TBR.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Thanks Victoria!

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments I've added Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen for early next year :)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition "The Accursed" by Joyce Carol Oates

Hi Kate, I just saw this advertised and it looks really good!

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) I bought The Accursed lady weekend and can't wait to read it!

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) ^last weekend.

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments Terry wrote: ""The Accursed" by Joyce Carol Oates

Hi Kate, I just saw this advertised and it looks really good!"

I've added to our reads...given us till end of March because my reading list is so long!

I'm reading 'The thirteenth tale' at the minute but then last night saw an advert for bbc dramas over Christmas and this is one of them!!! So now i need to get it finished before it's on ...plus all my Christmas shopping!! Help!! :)

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments What does everyone think about this one.. Snow White Must Die (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #4) by Nele Neuhaus

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition That sounds pretty good. However, I am so backed up with my reading, I can think straight. Very busy at work right now and I fall asleep when I am reading....

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments Has anyone read the new Bridget Jones book? Mad About the Boy I love Bridget but haven't managed to read this yet!

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) I read it and enjoyed it :)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Mad About The Boy looks like it got mixed reviews. I didn't read the first 2 Bridget Jones book yet, so this one is down pretty far on my to read list.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I just downloaded "The Invention of Wings" by Sue Monk Kidd. Loved her book "The Secret Life of Bees", so I thought I'd try this one. Don't know how soon I will get around to listening to it, though!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Kate, can we please, please read "The Talented Mr. Ripley" sometime in the next few months?? That is my all time favorite movie and I just found out it was a book, written as a trilogy! I've watched the movie 2 or 3 times and always wished there was a continuation (duh). Have you ever seen the movie? If you like weird mystery crime drama with a "high society" background, I think you may enjoy this book, too.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments Terry wrote: "Kate, can we please, please read "The Talented Mr. Ripley" sometime in the next few months?? That is my all time favorite movie and I just found out it was a book, written as a trilogy! I've watc..."

I LOVE the film Mr Ripley .... It is just genius :)
Would be a good one to read....going on the list :)

did you know there is a film of the second book "Ripleys Game"? With John Malcovich...i havn't seen it though.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Thanks, I'll look up the John Malkovitz film - I can totally see him playing a part in that storyline.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Kate, I noticed you added "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" to your to read list. You will love that one....and they really creepy part is that it is based on a true story and the house and graveyard with the statute of the bird girl actually exist.

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol | 4 comments I have been lucky enough to receive The Boy That Never Was by Michael Joseph through GR Giveaways. I am only a third of the way through but wanted to say what a great book! Certainly worth considering for the group. I would say more but just have to get back to the book!!

message 32: by Craig (new)

Craig Jarvis (cj76) | 12 comments Hi Carol I've heard lots of good things about that and is already on my to read list..
I've just started reading Burial Rites by Hannah Kent and can't seem to put it down..!

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol | 4 comments Thank you Craig! I've checked out Burial Rites and dropped it in my 'to read' list. Looks good!

message 34: by Paige (new)

Paige | 19 comments Hi All! I have been in a bit of a "mood" lately and cannot seem to read as often as usual. I finally read "Absolute Power" by Balducci. It was a pretty good thriller and had lots of twists and turns!!
I am now reading Maeve Binchy's "A Week in Winter" - fiction/romance. I liked her writing back in the 70's and still like her writing!

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments Hello everyone...I hope like me you are enjoying some unexpected early Spring sunshine :)
I just finished The One Plus One and foe me Jojo Moyes can do no wrong! I have been riding a rollercoaster of emotions finishing it this morning.

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 157 comments Hi all :) We need suggestions for new group reads to kick start us up and running again!! I am currently reading The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro (i think it's genius)
I still have an obsession with anything WW1 or WW 2 related so anything on this theme i would love. I recently read The Aftermath by Rhidian Brook which was really good. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
I have Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier to start which loiks intriging and if anyone hasn't yet read The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins then it's a must read..great thriller!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition They all sound good!