The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > Curiosity question...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cody (last edited Jan 14, 2008 02:57AM) (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments Do any of you have a blog or something of the like? I know a lot of you are pretty active on here, so I'm curious whether you guys keep something like a journal or blog, whether it's on your MySpace/Facebook/Livejournal/Xanga/Blogger whatever.

And no I'm not asking to read them all lol or trying to force your hand to share it, I'm honestly just curious (and procrastinating work).

And for the record yes, I do. I have a health/cancer focused one, a livejournal that's pretty much EVERYTHING, and then I have a MySpace but I am never on it, and don't really like it. I only keep the MySpace to keep connected with my family members because a lot of their emails change sometimes, so it's easier that way. Livejournal also started because it was an easy way to keep in touch with friends and keep them updated on everything. The health/cancer related blog started more just as me needing some place to vent. I used to have a Facebook until people got kind of stalker crazy...

message 2: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Dee, I started one but it was on a travel website... and being that I'm trapped hear in the states thanks to my ex, it didn't go over big. Plus it was a lot of pressure! When I am living large, I will have one again. LOL

Oh, but it was called "The Imprisoned Nomad." It was all the funny little stories and satirical comments on my life like I post on here, but no one was ever reading it. So I bailed. Heh. Too depressing to do all the work for no audience at all.

Anyway, I just about live on this site now... in this book club... so who has the time? Hee-hee!

message 3: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Michele, I bet you'd have a devoted and captive audience if you were to start up your blog again now, traveling or not.

I've tried starting up a blog on numerous occasions at various sites but am never able to commit myself to it. Part of it I think is that I'm really self-conscious and also get a little paranoid when talking publicly and in detail about my private life and the people in it.

I do have a flickr account, a flixster account, and a 43things account, all of which I use more than other sites, but still not much. I'm not a fan of myspace at all. Tried it once and couldn't get past the garishness of it. I have an old html personal website up that I put a lot of time and effort into beautifying though. Not that I use it anymore, but it's really spoiled me aesthetically for anything less.

goodreads is my latest social networking hang-up.

message 4: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Ooooo! I want to see your website, Heather! Please-please-please!

message 5: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

I have my own domain name and my ex was to pay me for one of the decorating gigs I did for him (I did three) by writing the code for my design (that's what he did). Right at the end - years after it was promised - supposedly he had... but I never saw it. I was always really sad because I really wanted my own site to build on.

I wanted it to eventually build into a site for "Women who are going places" that could help whether when traveling or in business or getting to know a place or whatever... just a place for women to connect. Oh, the name? Heh. What else? "whichwaydidshego.com"

You know, I never saw any of the payments, actually. One was to be my ticket back to Europe. Bastard. LOL I should send him bills for all my services... I mean I have documentation via pictures! That's a major portion of how he ripped me off, by the way. All his furniture I paid for. (He also charged without my knowledge on my cards, but that's another story.) I did it for others, and had no issue. Was reimbursed immediately. Uck. So glad to be rid of him.

message 6: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments what an effing bastard. so sorry he was like that Michele.

you do know that now that I know you're a professional webpage designer, I can't possibly post my link as it'd be too embarrassing. I put a lot of time into it, but it's by no means a great site. I stopped learning code at java pretty much. and the site hasn't been updated since 2003. I had to *find* the address to it, because I hadn't been there in so long I'd forgotten what it was!

message 7: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

No-no! I WISH I designed webpages! No, I did interior design for him. In exchange he was supposed to take my drawings and ideas for my site and do the coding to put my designs into action for me. Sorry!

I have done a LOT of things for work... like I always amaze people with the variety... but I have always wanted to be able to do this kind of design. I think I'm just to impatient for the less creative side of technology. Also, I was just never shown how. I mean for like two years I adapted and wrote code for my myspace layout. (Now I'm dull and just take a pre-designed one.) So I learn really easily, but who's going to show me? (My ex was a do-er, not a show-er - drove me crazy.)

message 8: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments oh my mistake! My husband does webpage coding much better than me. If you're still looking to finish your site, I could ask him to take a look at it.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I have a blog on myspace. It's pretty random. I keep track of the books I read there, and sometimes comment on movies I've seen, and occasionally I'll post journal-type things there, but that's more rare.

Heather, there are a lot of really cool looking pre-made myspace layouts now. There are some that use flash, too.

message 10: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments Oh man, homeboy (the ex) sounds like a WINNER! And you two didn't make it eh? Shame... <- sarcasm.

I've dated some doozies too, don't even get me started!!

Sarah, I've never ever posted a blog on MySpace lol. But I bet yours is pretty random, I like randomness. My LJ (livejournal) is all over the place, but then again I am too so...I guess it's an adequate representation of me? Who knows.

message 11: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

My best mate living in England has some fabulous choice words when referring to him that make me laugh. One of them amounts to "diminutive runt" as he was quite a lot shorter than me... and a prick. LOL! Thanks for the solidarity, Dee and Heather!

message 12: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments Oh that's fabulous. I always give my boyfriends nicknames, that are usually shortened versions of either their first or last names, but this one ex, who's just, AWFUL (and still claims he's like the greatest guy ever, he had the audacity to try and dirty up MY name when he was the controlling abusive son of a bitch, le sigh..), we call him by his profession...in a completely mocking tone. It's awful and spiteful and I never do things like that, I really don't. I don't believe in it, but damn, when I get a snarky email from him or when he texts my now fiance with some jack ass comment I'm always like 'oh well the WRITER decided to say hi'.

Writer my ass. JACKOFF!

*shakes off badness*

Michele I bet your blog would have been awesome to read! I'd read it now lol.

message 13: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Add me to the Mihele fan club, too. I'd love to read your blog, especially with all the traveling you've done. I'm sure it's awesome. I should have done something like that after all of my trips, but i'm nowhere near computer literate enough. This and e-mail are about as tech-y as I get. How sad, especially since I'm married to a computer programmer. ha!

message 14: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Remember Tiffany that the shoemaker's children go barefoot.

message 15: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  | 6 comments I'm on livejournal, facebook, myspace, and Bluekaffe (it's a local journal/messageboard page)

message 16: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) I don't blog very much.I guess i'm just new to the whole thing plus i tend to just ramble or vent.

message 17: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

alicia, you certainly can feel free to ramble and vent all you want here! We have fun with that!

message 18: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) Where have you travelled to Michele? If there is a thread somewhere on here about it, just direct me to it and I'll take a look. I love to travel too. Some friends and I tried to start a small travel company a couple years ago, but it didn't get very far past incorporation. I'd love to try writing a travel guide book sometime, but I don't really know if I'd have anything new to offer that isn't already out there.

message 19: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments I've always been told by my friends I should keep a travel journal because I'm basically constantly going somewhere, someplace, for some chunk of time, and I always so 'oh yeah I should!' but then I never do...

I get too caught up in all my traveling and work that I totally blank it, at least that's what I tell myself so I don't feel guilty. LOL.

message 20: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Sara - have you ever thought of writing for a travel magazine just to get started? I think it's GREAT that you want to write a travel guide. You'd be amazed at how many little things the "big" guides miss for the average traveler. Or go the niche market route and write for a specific kind of traveler. I love that you started your own company (even if it didn't go very far). How brave! How awesome!

I love to travel too! I highly recommend Croatia. I think it's one of the prettiest places I have ever been to. They're really building up their tourism since the war and it's just spectactular. Culturally and historically rich but simply eye candy to view. Although Mykonos and Santorini are probably a very close 2nd/3rd.

Dee - I am going to try journaling on my next trip but I just take lots and lots of pictures. I feel it does the same thing.

message 21: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Meghan:
My husband and I honeymooned in Slovenia. Have you been there? I agree that Mykonos is awesome, too!

message 22: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I'd love to visit some of the places you ladies have been to like Croatia and Mykonos. I've taken two trips to Southeast Asia, which were each amazing. I lived in Paris for a few months too, but I didn't see any other part of Europe except Spain. When my kids get older I want to do Eastern Europe, my dad and stepmom did a tour there last year and raved about it.

message 23: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

To answer your question Sara, I've not done all that much I suppose, but I ALWAYS have a ready tale about it. Countries I've been to? Canada, Mexico, England, Greece, lived in Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Slovakia, Poland, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Scotland. Also, I've been to 42 states (well, mom says 44, but I don't remember two of them, so I don't count them). Anyway, not too many places yet... but I WILL travel the world. It's my destiny. - And if it's not, I'm changing my destiny! LOL

We should start a traveling thread! What a good idea, Sara! Most of the stories I've conveyed so far have been here and there in different threads as a story comes to mind. No one place.

I think it's FANTASTIC that you started a travel company and want to write a guide book! Well done you! I've always wanted to write travel tales... you know, all the funny observations and cultural clashes. And the bizarre experiences. Because I've had plenty of those. See, like about five just popped in my head just saying that (everything is a lead in for a story for me)!

Because I'm not a travel-guide-using-type of person, I never thought I'd be very useful at that. But I have thought of doing sort of a twist on that... giving tours of Florence of all the really odd, quirky, historically-bizarre, unusual things about, in, and around the city. You know for the person that is bored with the usual shtick. For people like me who want to experience more than just the basics... cathedral, check, museum, check, historical landmark, check... we can get... haunted abbey, check, place where John Lennon sang for money in a hat (and got nothing), check, learn that the translation of this favorite tourist spot is "poo paradise" (and why), check, see actual R.O.U.S.'s (Rodents Of Unusual Size for you non-Princess Bride watchers), check! I dunno. That kind of stuff was the most fun and memorable things about a place for me. Oh! And like literary references to the place! Dig that, too.

Dee, I'm always being told to do travel journals... and having friends collect my emails from my journeys and say "here is your book" kind of thing. I'm thinking I need to start living up to expectations! Maybe you should, too! I mean, you ARE a rock star!!!

message 24: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.

message 25: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Ok Michele, the Princess Bride is one of my all-time favorite movies and the book is sitting literally right next to me on my To-Read stack, so you have to elaborate on the R.O.U.S.'s! How could someone with a story like that not write a brilliant travel book? I think you should go for it. =)

message 26: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Heather, you KILL me! Laughed so hard at your response.

Tiffany, as you wish.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) LOL, Heather!

message 28: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) A traveling thread would be a great idea! It fits with the Rory theme - she wanted to be an international war correspondent after all!

Meghan, it's funny that you noted Croatia - I've only been to Zagreb, but I definitely want to get back to that country. I would love to visit the Croatian coast! The other reason it's kind of funny is that my little travel company was going to try to get people to visit Kosovo. I went there a couple of years ago with my law school and had a great time (the other people in the company also went to Kosovo with the school). I even got to meet the prime minister (well, PM at the time). Since then, I've gotten to be very interested in the Balkans. It's a beautiful region!

Here's a little blurb and photo of my trip that my school posted (it's in the middle of the page - the easiest way to find it is to use the "find" feature in your browser and search for "kosovo" - I'm the only girl in the photo):

http://www.iit.edu/publications/conta...

I never thought about trying to write for a travel magazine. That's a great idea! I should look into that.

message 29: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Robbie - I have not. I've only been to Dubrovnik, Croatia. But I've made Fang promise to take me back to see the whole country. I would love to see the surrounding area though. It's just incredibly beautiful.

Mykonos is my favorite Greek island. To me, it IS Greece (even more than Athens). The white buildings with the blue trim dotting the mountainous horizon. Plus their famous donuts are to DIE for!

message 30: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Ashley - I used to be a myspace addict, but I've since gotten help. But apparently it didn't stick because I just transferred that addiction to here and now am a goodreads addict. sigh. What did I do before the internet?

message 31: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Sara - you are amazing! I've been reading up on Kosovo and it's very hot right now (as in hot spot, not as in "wish I was in the Caribbean" hot). What an incredible experince for you!

Okay, first we need to have an RGBC Oscar party and then we need the conference. But then we need to have a tour. We can start in Fez and go from there. hee!

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) My addiction definitely transfered to goodreads.com and this group.

message 33: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments I was obsessed with Myspace a few years back, but like Meghan, have since got help. I use livejournal/blogger a lot mostly, like I said previously, to keep all family and friends connected mostly because I've received far too many 'oh my god I thought you died!' comments or something else insane.

Sidenote: before I left Cambridge (where I go to school) to come see my mom this weekend, my neighbor baked me muffins (that I can't even eat, thanks cancer!) and left me brochures on how to die right. Apparently, there's a right and a wrong way to die. Can we say um FAUX PAS! I mean, I appreciate that she's just doing what she thinks she can to 'help' but really, are you effin' kidding me? Not only do I NOT need your pity or your pity cancer muffins, but if you're going to bake me something and preach about how to die right, maybe you should do some research about the dietary restrictions! SDFJNDSLKFJND
Back to the topic: Mykonos is GORGEOUS. I have a soft spot for many a place in Greece, and my aunts entire farm was completely ruined in the fires, it tore my heart out. All my childhood memories of running down the hill into the fields and just, gah, it's all gone.

I have a life long wish to go to at least every continent once, I only have one left, and I would've gone to that one if I hadn't gotten sick when I did. Damn scheduling conflict! Who knew you couldn't travel to the arctic while under going chemotherapy and radiation? My bad!

AND YOU BEST CHANGE YOUR DESTINY LADY! Besides, it's in your own hands, you and you only are responsible for it. So rock on sisterfriend, shake out that gorgeous mane, put on some sexy boots, and go kick some destiny ass.

Wow, that was perky.

message 34: by Sarah (last edited Jan 19, 2008 08:24AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Dee, I am astonished. Some neighbor you have. Definitely NOT made of awesome. That neighbor is made of sucky. Oy with the poodles already.

message 35: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments LMAO! Dee you're hilarious! I can't believe the nerve of that lady though. O_O

You're so lucky to have spent part of your childhood in Greece. I've only been there once and it was to Athens, but I've been dying to get back ever since, to the more remote islands especially.

I live in the arctic (bet you couldn't have guessed), so come visit me if you ever make the trip!

I've traveled quite a bit too, but there's a huge gaping hole called the South Pacific Rim (Asia, Australia, Antarctica, South America) that I haven't visited yet. We should seriously be one those ladies travel group things that meet once a year or so to visit places as a group. Could be fun!

My husband is crazy - he has next to zero interest in going anywhere outside of Alaska. Definitely not something we have in common. But he's agreed to travel occasionally when the bug bites me. We've been working on a trip to New Zealand for several years now.

message 36: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) Geez Dee, that's crazy. First, I can't believe there are even brochures on how to "die right" and second, I can't believe someone would give them to another person. Insane!

message 37: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 20, 2008 08:16PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Michele stole my line. I'll say it again, anyway..."Aaaaaaasss yooooooooooou wiiiiish!" (Wesley falling down the hill).

I cannot begin to tell you how traumatized I am at this story of Dee's. The idea of our very own cute, insanely intelligent, Dee getting "cancer muffins". And brochures! UGH. I can comment no further. Dee, I hope your treatments are going well. Please keep us all posted on your progress. You are TRULY made of awesome. :)

message 38: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Jan 21, 2008 12:37AM) (new)

Dee, what's her address?? I'm effing going after her. She's going down!

First off, WTF??! Second off, gee, let's focus on the worst case senario and just give up. Madonna mia. Stronza! È pazza. Non può fare quella al mia amica Dee - Dee è stupefacente. No e no! Vaffanculo a lei! Mi dispiace, Dee. Sono arrabbiato ma non meritate quello. Anche, la mia grammatica è non bene... Sorry if I didn't express that right, but you'll get the heart behind it, I hope. The expletives I'm pretty certain were correct, though - LOL!

Girl, I believe that you will live a LONG life! You are amazing and bright and talented and vivacious and lovely and a dear, dear person (to name a very few). You best not let a bit of that get to you. I mean it.

Now, how about we make up a brochure on The Right Way to Live, and include a very vivid section on rudeness, particularly the rudeness telling people how to die? (Actually it's worse than that because to say there is a "right" way is to make people fearful of being wrong. Yeah, let's add more stress to your life there, Dee.) We could all contribute and then I could make a full-color spread and bind it all up. Then you could take her a cocktail of... oh I don't know... a chemo martini perhaps? If she were a vegetarian I'd say a side of beef.

Can I apologize for her, Dee? She was wrong. In wanting to help she (sorry girls, must be said) fucked up. That's all there is to it. So forgive her through me.

But I still want her address.

message 39: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

One more thing, Dee... are you still planning to travel to Antarctica? Or was it somewhere else you were referring to? Because if you are, but if it will be a year or two down the road, I'd really like to join you. Is that weird? It's just I've wanted to go for ages and it'd be ever so much more fun with fabulous you! I completely serious, too.

message 40: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Jan 20, 2008 04:56AM) (new)

Oh, and I'm posting that last mandate of yours on my wall. Thanks for that. (I just got some great boots, too!)

message 41: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments No that's not weird! And yes I am planning on it. I don't know when I'll be able to (it has to do with health more than anything right now). I am hoping within the next two years (gosh seems so far away but yes, I know, it's really not).

I got bad news from the doctors recently so I'm trying to rebound with positive thoughts and plans, I'm going to look into some things to make the Antarctica plan more concrete (besides date, which is possible lol) as well as a few other trips.

And that neighbor made me SO mad dude! I saw her this morning when I was running out the door for class (which I should be paying attention to right now) and she gave me this 'pity' look and shook her head like a disapproving mother. I wanted to shove my fist down her throat. She makes me so mad! But instead I just smiled and told her that I hope she has a good day. BAH!

message 42: by Meghan (new)

Meghan And this, my lovely lady, is why YOU are made of awesome and she is made of, well, pity cancer muffins. Yay Dee!

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (loveliesdiva) | 10 comments I have a myspace that I'm on a lot, I've had a livejournal but like someone on here said, kinda nervous about posting my personal thoughts online for the public to read.

message 44: by Meghan (last edited Jan 23, 2008 06:23PM) (new)

Meghan Back in the 90s, one comic made a joke about how every person was going to have their own talk show (Jerry Springer-style) as that was what was so in. But with the advent of the world wide internet (heh) now everyone has their own blog.

Jennifer, seriously, you can't do any worse than what's out there, so I say go for it!

message 45: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments Jennifer! That's why they have security options for Livejournal entries, you can have them 'locked' where only people you select can view them, you can have them 'private' where only you can see them, or you can have them 'public' where anybody can see them.

message 46: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Eh, I have a blog....noone reads it, but it feels good...my sister got me onto it. Not really sure what is going on in this conversation, but I saw blogs, so I jumped in!

message 47: by Sera (last edited Jan 24, 2008 04:53PM) (new)

Sera Michele, I agree with you. What that neighbor did to Dee was awful, but people don't know how to act when people are going through traumatic times. I'm one of those people who has no grip on what to say to someone who's ill, has had someone close to them die, etc., so my rule of thumb now is to give a hug, provide sympathy or empathy as the case may be, and offer to help if the person needs it. I also tend to be very forgiving of others who say or do stupid things, because people don't know how to act under the circumstances. Most people have good intentions even if they don't carry them off well.

My husband lost his sister earlier this year. She was 40, and someone told his mother, "well, at least you have two other children". His mother burst into tears. What that person said was awful, but to me, it was clear that she struggled with what to say and so just to say something, she said that, which is why, again, I stick to the rules above.

Don't forget, Dee, you have a bunch of people here rooting for you to be well ;)

message 48: by Meghan (last edited Jan 24, 2008 05:29PM) (new)

Meghan Erica - you crack me up.

Sera - I'll take a hug. That just sounds nice. :)

message 49: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Sigh, I really miss you guys! This is the start of a great trip, but I do miss you all!

Sera, I get ya... but man, someone's got to have our girl Dee's back - and I'm willing.

Plus, the thing is she is still the same made-of-awesome girl she was, she's just sick. (LOL, I just misspelled that last word making it "suck.") Man, cancer bites. But it doesn't now define her. She's our amazing, go-getter who has done outstandingly cool things and is a raging rock star.

Plus, we're all dying. Who's to say that same neighbor catches a cold and it settles in her chest and becomes something fatal? Or that a bird crapped a pebble that lodges in her head and kills her? It's overwhelming when you know some lameass entity is attacking your body and you don't have a lot of ways to attack back, and sometimes what you need is a hug or a shoulder, but most days you just want to be you. To live.

That is one of the many reasons I admire our Dee so much... she is living in every way - oh, and on the side fighting the demon cancer. Wow. She's my hero.

I know I just went off and am way off point, Sera, but in my opinion pity is death's favorite weapon. Because if in those situations we allow it in and it brings us to pity ourselves, we've lost most of our hope in that moment. That's giving up. That's death, even if it's not immediate or even sometimes bodily.

Plus, like I said before... a RIGHT way to die?? Implying that she might be doing something wrong? That's just vacuous and malevolent. A sympathy or get well card is one thing - a kind thing, but that was way off the messed up and wrong charts.

I used to volunteer at an AIDS hopice - this is back a ways - and man, the kinds of things they had to hear from people was hurtful, cruel, hateful at times. Then I've had quite a few family members have cancer (including the brother marrying Saturday, Dee - he had 3 types). What was welcome was prayer and continued friendship... and understanding when they might have to cancel plans and what not. Never pity, though. Never ever.

Again, Sera, way off topic. So not coming at you. If you only knew how desperate I am in need of sleep, but I just wanted to "hang" with you for a bit! Anyway, thanks for listening. And I totally understand your point. Good intentions often run amok.

Oh, and in person, like Dee, I'd be kind and see their heart behind their ill conceived gesture... but I'm not there, I'm here listening to my friend Dee tell a story that is horrifying to have to deal with. And I don't want that for her. So I perhaps too vividly tell her (and you all) so. Just like you said, Sera, there's a bunch of us rooting for her. I was just trying to do that in my flamboyant way (Italian-style).

Okay, goodnight all! Have a fun weekend and don't forget to vote!

message 50: by Bree (new)

Bree Whichway--that trip to Florence sounds like a total hoot. I love stuff like that, finding the interesting out of the way things about a place.

If you want to read a book about a girl who does that in reference to jane austen i'd recommend A Walk with Jane Austen: A Journey into Adventure, Love, and Faith. It a memoir about her self discovery while traveling and visiting places related to Jane Austen.

« previous 1