What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Chendru: The Boy and the Tiger
This topic is about Chendru
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Chandra and the droopy ears! [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele (chele) | 5 comments My grandparents had a childrens book with beautiful photographs to illustrate it. All I can remember is the title had the name of the boy in the book. Possibly Chandra or Chandru and that the plot may have had something to do with a tiger that was stalking the animals of the village he lived in, in India. I remember that he had large hooped earrings in both ears that made his ears drop a little!!I would love to get hold of this one again.

message 2: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments So far all I could find was The Story of Little Babaji by Helen Bannerman The Story of Little Babaji by Helen Bannerman. Published in 1996.

Summary: A little boy in India loses his fine new clothes to the tigers, but while they dispute who is the grandest tiger in the jungle he takes his fine clothes back again.

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele (chele) | 5 comments April Ann wrote: "So far all I could find was The Story of Little Babaji by Helen Bannerman[b:The Story of Little B..."

Thanks AA that sounds like a "Little Black Sambo" variation...which my Grandad also read to me. I have to say the from a childs point of view the now racist slant was completely lost on me. I must get a hold of "Little Babaji" though. Have you heard of a book called "The Merchant of Marvels and the Peddler of Dreams"? By a French Canadian Frederic Clement. Now thats a book!

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 67 comments Little Babaji, and Sam and the Tigers by Julius Lester, which also came out that same year are two delightful variations on Little Black Sambo. They should both be savored. They each have a very different take in how the story is presented, and in the illustrations. I have both.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 67 comments Black and white photos? How old do you think this was?

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele (chele) | 5 comments Nancy wrote: "Black and white photos? How old do you think this was?"
Ummmm, about 1950's I am reckoning. Its possible they were coloured but in that faded way that photographs had when they were first used in publications. I have quite a few books from when I was a child but this one is missing .It is a very long shot as I have so few real leads/memories.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Michele, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 8: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4301 comments If you are, Chendru: The Boy and the Tiger maybe?

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele (chele) | 5 comments Hooray! Thankyou.! I was googling around the other day looking for the same book. My partner found your comment. Yes it is indeed Chendru, The Boy and the Tiger. That 10 years searching. Very pleased. Thankyou.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Wow, literally 10 years. Incredible.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Thanks for coming back to let us know.

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele (chele) | 5 comments Yes, great wee forum/service here. I see Amazon have copies....guess what I'm going to do...