A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1) A Woman of Substance discussion

reveiw

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly difficult to engage in the first 100 pages but after could not put down!

Penelope Dubois It was the best of all her books in that series.

message 3: by Zenei (new) - added it

Zenei I know this probably sounds unbelievable but "A Woman of Substance" at one time was my all time favorite book. It is still in my top 10 and that is saying something since I have over 3,000 books and have read almost all of them, some more than once. I bought the TV series on three VHS (DVD's were too expensive). The movie did not capture what made me love the book so much. Although it wasn't bad. And I can't really say in words (unbelievable again if you knew me) why I connected with this book but I did. BTB hasn't been able to do it again with any other book I read by her. I read a few more including Hold the Dream before I finally gave up on her. But still love her first book. Always will.

Penelope Dubois The other books just never really captured the first, I agree!

Dali I really liked this book, however, it gotta little repepetitive towards the end which is why I gave it 4 stars...however, I LOVE Barbara Taylor Bradford. She writes beautifully...

Nancy Piper Zenei wrote: "I know this probably sounds unbelievable but "A Woman of Substance" at one time was my all time favorite book. It is still in my top 10 and that is saying something since I have over 3,000 books a..."

I felt the same!......I have not read her other books, but I read this one, and it captured me heart ad sole. There hasn't been another story like "A Woman of Substance". I loved it. Jeez, I might need to read it again, it has been at least, 20 years since I did.....LOL.

Penelope Dubois I might read it again too, it's been about 20 years from the first time!

Karen I'm waiting for it to come out on ebook, I've already got the hardcopy of the anniversary edition. I hate that I gave away for old, original copy I had back in the 1980's; I loved the cover :)

message 9: by AG (new) - rated it 2 stars

AG John Very detailed story. A story of a poor but ambitious girl. She was Emma Harte. Little she was, she had already this driving ambition of becoming the riches. Early in her life, she got impregnated with Edwin Fairley, the man whom she thought, loved her so much and whom she had loved. Later she knew, she was left alone with all the responsibilities.this was also the situation that gave her the outmost desire to pursue what she had planned before. Well maybe, another reason is to take revenge to the Faileys. It was her thought that when you're rich you gotta have the power, the respect and of course you will be liked by many. After all, she had a lot of money. The power. The influence. Everybody adored her. She was envied by many. She took revenged on the Fairleys.

The story talks about spinning revenge. Revenge is sweet..and to her, success is the greatest revenge..Anyway, the last chapter's events happened so fast.. I just lost my track and here she was: forgiving the Fairleys..

Pixiepops I really enjoyed it, but have to agree it was too much at times. I liked it, but I am not sure I want to read the rest of the saga.

message 11: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam A Woman of Substance is very near the top of my list of favorite Book. It's a story about a low born person of England, who is creative, resourceful and focused. I consider her a strong woman who starts as a servant. In truth, her story does start out as revenge, but as she grows, she grows as A Woman of Substance.

message 12: by J.M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.M. Rankin At times I found it a little hard going with a lot of over-detail perhaps in terms of furniture etc when Emma became wealthy, but maybe BTB meant it that way to contrast the few items she possessed as a young woman? Who knows. Despite this though it is still one of my favourite books that I have read a number of times. Although Emma's hate of the Fairley's drives her onto become a woman of substance, there is a sense of inspiration within the pages - although based in a different period of time I still find it enjoyable to read about this young woman who, despite everything, holds to her dream of owning an empire. Life gets in the way for most of us at one point or another, but I think we can all relate to having a dream of some kind!

Karen Sam wrote: "A Woman of Substance is very near the top of my list of favorite Book. It's a story about a low born person of England, who is creative, resourceful and focused. I consider her a strong woman who..."

I think the book is excellent and certainly excels anything BTB has done, to date. I loved the novel for everything it represented and would read it again and again!

message 14: by Geri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Geri I thought BTB's writing was excellent. When I was reading it I was taken away to another time. I felt the warmth of the fire in Emma's office. The rain on my face on the moors. I thought the whole series was very well done. When Emma died I felt that I had lost
a very special person in my life.

Karen Geri wrote: "I thought BTB's writing was excellent. When I was reading it I was taken away to another time. I felt the warmth of the fire in Emma's office. The rain on my face on the moors. I thought the whole ..."

I felt the same way! A very engaging and memorable read! As soon as it's on ebook, I'm purchasing it and reading it again :) I already have at least 3 hard copies that I've read through the years.

message 16: by Rossana (last edited May 27, 2013 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rossana Condoleo I read it at 16 and it changed the whole way I thought at my future. I felt and I still feel "A woman of substance" :-)

Peggy I have read most of BTB's books and A Woman of Substance is one of my favourites. Emma Harte was quite something. In the period that the story was set someone of Emma's class would not have been allowed to marry a Fairley...her revenge became more than just getting back at the Fairley's it showed the society of the time, that thought women were chattel, a woman could be so much more than just a possession.

Caroline Love this book and am now reading the sequel but cannot get it to register as currently reading as I don't know how to do this as I am reading it again and have already got it as a read book. Can anyone help me with this?