BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Book Chat > Book O.C.D.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I think I may have book OCD..lol. I swear every time I walk into a bookstore I have to buy a book.

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I went to B&N tonight just to look. Yeah right. I never just look. I left with 5 but I wanted to leave with about 20 so I think I did pretty good. lol

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) yeah me and my mom and went to B&N today and there was a particular book I wanted to get. I wanted to get the first two books of the "Erec Rex" series by Kaza Kingsley and my mom would only let my get one. So I just got the first book. I could easily spend hundreds of dollars on books..lol.

message 4: by Karee (new)

Karee | 2 comments Pretty much all my money is spent on books. I'm moving out of home soon where I'll have to pay a lot more for board, bills, and food than I do right now. Most uni students I know live on two-minute noodles. I can't see myself being much better, so I don't know how I'll survive. I'll probably buy a book and starve for a week, LOL.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Karee~

You don't "have" buy a book. You can always go to your local library and find the book you want. That's what I'm gonna try to do more often. Go to my local library more instead of buying books.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I use the library most of the time. It's a rare occasion when I actually buy a book. Which is probably why I go nuts and buy 5 instead of just one. But then again, right now, I have 7 books from the library on my chair to read.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) The only disadvantage of using books from the library is that it doesn't satisfy out our desire of owning books because we know that we have to give the book(s) back.

message 8: by Mouse (new)

Mouse | 16 comments Not to mention, libraries never seem to have the books I'm looking for.

message 9: by Karee (new)

Karee | 2 comments "The only disadvantage of using books from the library is that it doesn't satisfy out our desire of owning books because we know that we have to give the book(s) back."

That's pretty much why I mostly buy. That and also because my local library is really crap and I've already read all the good ones. They can't even really order any in either. Kinda sucks.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) I havent been to a library to take books out for me in at least 10 years.... possibly more. I used to take my kids there to borrow books for them, but now we just buy everything... I like having them all, the kids like to reread their favorites, and I just like to show off.... :)

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony And libraries always seem to want their books back sooner or later. Jerks:)

I'm about 50/50 between the library and ownership. If I really love a book I get at the library, I tend to buy it later on the chance I'll re-read at least parts of it or just want it represented on my shelf, if that makes sense.

In my eyes the biggest disadvantage to library books is not being able to write in the margins or underline anything.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) ohmigod... i never write in my books. i dont even bend the corner down to hold a page.... i like my books to look crisp and clean...

Now, college textbooks and essay books....on the other hand....... mark away!!!

message 13: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 07, 2008 09:42AM) (new)

RandomAnthony Really? How do other people handle the "mark/write in books or not mark/write in books" issue?

I don't write/mark every book, but in books I really like I tend to mark certain passages and write down the page number on the inside from cover so I can find the passage again.

I don't mark library books, of course:)

message 14: by Stewart (new)

Stewart (booklit) | 1 comments "every time I walk into a bookstore I have to buy a book."

Only one? Pah! I must be in the advanced stages of OCD.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I don't write in my books either. If I wanna make notes I use a piece of paper or photo copy the information I want to use. My books sometimes get bent because I put it down the wrong way where the cover gets all bent up or because it is always be shoved into my backpack.

message 16: by Jodie (last edited Jan 07, 2008 02:27PM) (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) | 7 comments Whenn I was a kid I used to have those stickers - This Book belongs to ____________ and I'd put my name in it. But not anymore. I never write in my books anymore. I've been trying to get into the habit of using bookmarks instead of bending the pages down to hold my place and not cracking the spines either.

And, yea...without fail, if I go into a bookstore, I will most definitely walk out with at least one. I just can't help it. It took all I had to drive past a book warehouse place today without stopping. But I did it. :)

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) My friend just called and said she was having bookstore withdrawl and did I want to hit B&N with her tonight. Of course! Just because I was just there Saturday and bought 5 books doesn't mean I don't want to go back and buy more. :)

I use my local library a lot. Luckily I live in a big county and we have 15 libraries or so, so I can go online and request a book if the one nearest my house doesn't have it. I typically only buy books that I know I will want to re-read or share with someone else. Except for true crime. I never re-read my true crime but I typically buy it rather than get it from the library. I usually loan them to my mom when I'm done and then I either donate them or sell them on ebay.

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I only read books once. When I'm done with them I like to donate them to the local library and hope that they put all of them on their shelfs. I'm particularly careful with any GLBT(Gay, Lesbian,Bisexual, and Transgendered) books that I have read because I know homosexuality is a controversial subject and most libraries won't put any books of that subject on their shelves unless its informative. Most GLBT books I read are memoirs and fiction.

message 19: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Jan 07, 2008 05:34PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
I will not write in a book unless it is to study with. I tend to not need to read a book twice though. Writing in a book is a form of terrorism and will not be tolerated. :)

Randomanthony is a biblio terrorist and you should never loan him a book he may use his libro of mass distruction pen or highlighter... lol

P.S.A (public servie announcement)
Support your local used bookstore.
If someone is interested in gaining over 25,000 books and would like to buy my used bookstore.
please email me.
Serious inqueries only.
pricerightbooks@aol.com

message 20: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 07, 2008 06:05PM) (new)

RandomAnthony Hey! Careful now, Wes! I'm no biblio-terrorist. I promise to return borrowed books without pen or highlighted additions.:)

I guess I consider some books better loved when they're used; in other words, I can thumb through a well-worn copy of "All The Pretty Horses" or an Aristotle text and easily re-read marked passages. I'll pull down my copy of "Medea" and go straight to the cool sections I marked...the system becomes an easy way to re-read cool parts.

I guess I'm saying a well-worn book is a loved book.

This might not work for everyone of course, and I'm careful with both library books and books people lend me. I swear!

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I agree Randomanthony, a well-worn book is definitely a loved book.

My library takes book donations but they don't put those books on the shelves. The "Friends of the library" sell them as fundraisers. Which is okay, but if I have a book that the library doesn't have, especially if it's part of a series, it seems to me like they should put it on the shelf, not sell it. But maybe that's just me. *shrugs*

message 22: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) Oh, and I went to B&N with a friend tonight. And of course I left with a book. But only one this time. :)

message 23: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Randomanthony,
I know the people that have been here a while know that I am a bit of an Instigator but it is all in good fun.

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol Evans | 13 comments Due to money constraints, I get most of my books from the library. I'm lucky though, our library is pretty good and I can get almost anything through ILL. As for the books I own, I tend not to write in them unless I'm reading them for a group or discussion.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Does anyone have a hardcover fetish like I do? LOL

I seriously don't buy a paperback anymore, unless that's the only option, especially with a lot of classics. I might read it once, decide it's not good enough to read again, and off it goes to the thrift shop. I didn't realize how many books I had until I moved recently, so I made myself go through and downsize my collection. I need to either get paperbacks or go to the library.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony That's a great question, Matthew. I tend not to read hardcovers because 1) I'm too cheap to buy most books in hardcover, except for my favorite authors for whom I can't wait, and 2) after years of reading paperbacks, hardcovers almost feel weird in my hands. So if I read hardcovers they're either from the library or from one of my favorite authors.

I don't like the small paperbacks...I like the slightly larger ones...I know you book people know what I mean:) Wes, are there technical terms for the different book sizes?

By the way, Matthew brings up a great point about moving with books. Book boxes are SO heavy. I imagine many of us have horror stories about moving books.

message 27: by Wes, Moderator (new)

I love hardcover books there are two different hardcover books.
1. New release editions the large hardvers with options of large print.
2. Book club editons are 2/3 the size of the new release edition.

Paperbacks come in a variety.
1. Mass market paperbacks are the smallest versions usually around 6.99 to 7.99 new
2. Trade paperbacks are about 2 inches taller than the mass market
3. Book club editions less pages but much larger in demensions. (Some new releases are only printed in this version the large paperbacks if it is a new author who has a masterpiece.)

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I personally prefer paperback. I don't like hardcover because it is a pain in the ass to to hold the paper part in place while you read. So I take the paper part while I'm reading it. The only hardcover I like are the library ones because they have the paper part taped down so it stays in place while I read.

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) I prefer paperbacks now, over the last few years, more due to the fact that hardcovers are so damn expensive. I purchase books, I do not use the library... so for me, and my spending habits, I get more for my money with paperbacks. They are more portable, easier to hold, take up less bookshelf space.....

The harcovers I have are either from years ago, or something that looks really good while i was browsing and i jumped on it to get it and read it. I cant remember the last time i bought a full sized hardcover.

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (netsiren) | 5 comments Well not only do I have to buy a book everytime I go near a bookstore, I also have a habit of checking out way too many from the library. I wish I had more hours in the day to read.

message 31: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) the only time i actually buy a book is when my local library is doing a book sale. there i can a big paperbag filled for only $7. i love it. i usually get my books from one of the many book swapping sites i belong to. it's a good way to get rid of books i no longer want. the only thing that i mark inside my books are bookcrossing numbers. i love seeing where my books end up. some of my son's books have his last name written in the back. the name had to be written when ever he brought a book to school to share it. i really don't like checking books out from the library cause then i feel rushed to read it. once in while i do check one out though cause i can't wait to read it.

message 32: by Tom (new)

Tom Walsh (TEEW) I hear you loud and clear. I read a favorable review of a novel. Hmmm, it takes place in England, circa 1880. Ahh...it's a door stop, and it's well written. Then, it starts. Tick, tick....I've got to read it.

Heck, the library doesn't have it. Go to Barnes and Noble. They've got it, but, whoa, it's $35 WITH the member discount! Pay a bill or buy the book.....yeah, buy the book!! Tom, a lifetime bookaholic. Tom

message 33: by Tom (new)

Tom Walsh (TEEW) This option has saved me many dollars, Karee. And, if I don't like the book, I just return it! Tom

message 34: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Hey Tomw,
What book were you refering to you should always try bookfinder.com for the cheapest prices on books.
This search engine checks all the major used book dealers on the net and places them in order for you to find a good deal on books.
Later
Wes

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the feedback.

I tend to use eBay nowadays for the hardcovers. Someone usually manages to read new books and get them on eBay fairly quickly. I do have the B&N discount card, which paid for itself when I bought both the DVD set and companion book for Ken Burns' The War. B&N usually has some great history books they that publish themselves in the bargain section. I always come out with something that might not be all that expensive, but it still takes up space.

message 36: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I only buy hardbacks when it's a book I must own as soon as it comes out. Typically my series books - Harry Potter, Anita Blake & Merry Gentry, and Stephanie Plum. Everything else I buy in paperback. Unless I make a good find in B&N's bargain area or I buy something I've really been wanting on eBay. I'm a book carrier and paperbacks are much easier to stuff in my purse or messenger bag.

message 37: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I am the same way....some women buy shoes....I buy books! I work at a bookstore, so my discount helps a little, but I think I spend more because I am here staring at all the books! I love hardcovers because I am an avid rereader, and they will hold up better, plus they look nicer. Also, if I read an older book in paperback and love it, I have to hunt down a hardcover to own. Even if its on eBay because its out of print. At least I'm not alone!

message 38: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) My friend and I went to B&N last night to kill time before our movie started and despite the fact that I have 4 library books to read this week, the 6 books I bought last week to read, the two dozen other books I own but haven't read yet, and a to-read list that is over 700 books long, I bought 5 more books last night. *sigh* It really is a sickness isn't it? But I love it. :) Now I'm off to read something - have a good day!

message 39: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 72 comments :D
Everytime I read the message board, I feel so peaceful....like I've entered a world of normal people. People like me. As opposed to T.V./playstation world people. Everytime my I go book shopping, I end up spending all of my pocket money and most of the errand money as well. As a result, I'm usually horribly indebt:((

How I intend to become a businesswomen, with my spendng habit and book-lust, is beyond me.

Oh, I totally agree with Wes and Lori. Writing in books is a BIG no-no along with folding page-corners and breaking the back. If you like a passage or line, either write it down or bookmark it. My books are loaned taped up and covered. Tattered books are soo sad, you cant throw them out and you can't display them either. Plus it really hard to read and enjoy a book thats falling apart. And as for me, I usually reread alot, but I can remember around where my fav parts are, and if I can't I start from the beginning and skip the boring bits. And if there's a line or paragraph that I really love, I usually write it down somewhere.

message 40: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I have no problem displaying my well loved and worn books. I've bought more books in the past couple of months than I've bought in the past few years and I have no room for them so I really need to stop. But that's probably not going to happen. lol

message 41: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony You know, I just bought a slew of books, and of course today I read about another one I must read. Always happens...

I agree with Cindy on displaying well-loved and worn books. There's something great about the smell of a used bookstore, too...the old pages...right, Wes?:)

message 42: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Ah yes the smell of old books is fantastic. Mmmm.. dust...
:)

message 43: by Aumee (last edited Jan 14, 2008 04:51AM) (new)

Aumee | 72 comments whoa whoa whoa!
i don't have ANYTHING against old books. As a matter of fact alot of the books I buy are second hand. But I still think that taking care of ur books is important. Just because you love a book doesn't mean that you can't be just a little careful with handling when you read it.
Like bending the backs and folding page corners...i really can't stand it when people do that. As for writing in the margins......well......I don't like it, but I kind of understand it.
Anyway, this is just my opinion. I guess I'm kind of possessive of my books.

message 44: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Cindy you sound like me when it comes to book buying.

message 45: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 72 comments Aji
considering the fact that we exchange books so often,I have a hard time keeping up with which are ur and which r mine,I think its safe to say that u dont have to worry about it. besides, i've never seen u write in books.

message 46: by Jen (new)

Jen Ifer's Inklings (only4lightn) I am so glad that I am not alone in my OCD-ness. I cannot walk into a bookstore without purchasing a book.

I rarely rent from the library because sometimes it takes me longer to read than anticipated. And I'm kinda OCD in other aspects and I've gotten some pretty gross looking and feeling books from the library.

I dont dog-ear my pages either. And I don't write in them. I have yet to figure out a way to keep the spine from cracking on my paperbacks.

I purchase hard bound books when it is a new release that I cannot wait for, or if it is one of the two series that I keep to re-read or just because they are that great. I like the smaller hard bound books though. I always take the book covers off to read them, and replace them when I am done.

I purchased 5 new books on Thursday. I had to reorganize my bookshelves so I could put them on them. And then I had to count to see how many I had to read... I was SHOCKED! I have 70 unread books and only average reading 5 a month.

I need a 12 step program.

message 47: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) We all need a 12 step program Jen..lol. But then again having a book addiction is better than having a drug addiction or alcohol addiction.

message 48: by Wes, Moderator (new)

HI Jen,
I assume you read mass market paperbacks they are the hardest to not break or crease the spine. I prefer the larger paperbacks I can keep the large ones flat and don't bend the front cover back. Just keep the thumb on the bottom to keep the pages open and no stress should occur on the spine.
I have yet to crease a spine.
Yippee for me.

message 49: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) My Book OCD acted up today... I got two books today and I still wanted more..lol.

message 50: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) My book OCD only kicked in recently - in December I bought 8 books from Chapters. Then I went on BookMooch and mooched 4, and snagged 2 from a friend here on GoodReads who wanted to get rid of a few books. Oh, and bought 3 more from Chapters online. Err...and also ordered 8 books from the library (mind you, I ordered a variety that were not available to readily available, so they trickle in slowly over a period of 2-3 months).

WHEN am I going to have time to read these books? Considering EVERY DAY I find more books here that I have to read as well?!?

« previous 1