Start by marking “How Big Is It?” as Want to Read:
How Big Is It?

How Big Is It?

A big book all about bigness!

This BIG title removes the confusion of the abstract by teaching size through eye-catching juxtaposition in "oh wow!" images. For instance, any idea about the size of the mysterious Giant Squid of the deep? Sure, you could read that it's 59.5 ft. long. While that sounds impressive enough, it's a little abstract. However, when you see a full-col
Published September 1st 2007 by Scholastic Reference

To ask other readers questions about How Big Is It?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Big Is It?

CH13_Meghan Schultz
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
How Big Is It? is an informational book that compares incredibly large items to ordinary everyday items. For example, the world's largest spider is compared to the outer rim of a dinner plate; the world's largest telescope is compared to the height of the Eiffel Tower. Students would truly understand the greatness of these items as they are compared to seemingly ordinary recognizable items. Each page is filled with large photographs that depict the immense size of these.

I enjoyed reading this in
Sam Bloom
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that I would have been obsessed with as a child. Computer-generated photos use perspective and ratio to show giant things (a giant squid, the Goliath Bird-eating Spider, the Arecibo Radio Telescope) in relation to something else (a two-story house, a dinner plate, and the Eiffel Tower, respectively) to show just how *giant* the giant things are. Interesting and humorous information can be found in the sidebars. Awesome stuff, and a must-booktalk for tweens on school visi ...more
Collin Powell
This non-fiction book presents different objects that the student wouldn’t be familiar with and shows how big they are by comparing them to, for instance, houses, states and dinner plates that the student would know the size of. This is helpful because it gives students a sense of the physical size of objects that they would rarely, if ever, come into contact with.
I liked the book but think it would be more effective if it cut down on a little on the variety of objects it showed and, maybe, just
Amanda
Dec 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dreamers and enthusiasts
Recommended to Amanda by: shelf, blam
This book made me realize that I have grabby hands and am attracted to sparkly objects. It greeted me from out the staff corridor at work, sitting innocently on the children's book shelf.

But it was full of interesting big things. The biggest polar bear stood up at 12 feet, the giraffe eats acacia leaves, the solar system has huge stars that are millions of light years away so that if they exploded it would look like they were still there for millions of years even if they weren't. Pyramids, vol
Lynn
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fabulous fun! My five-year old grandsons adored this book as much as I did. Photo shopped photos compare BIG things to familiar objects, giving kids a really tangible sense of just how big is big. There is a polar bear standing next to a basketball hoop, a flying dinosaur compared to a jet plane and a huge spider on a dinner plate. The images jump off the page and the text is humorous and fascinating. We've been reading this over and over ;-) Great all ages book!
Kate Hastings
Oct 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: math-and-science
--grades 2-8
--bigness is sometime hard to comprehend when you have no reference for comparison.
--author takes things students know the size of and compares them with objects they may not know.
--Great Pyramid of Giza is 8 train-cars tall
--Polar Bear on a basketball court
-- Steve Jenkins also has some great books for comparing speeds, size, and weight with common objects.
Sherry
Wonderful illustrations inserting the subject in a scene for size comparisons! Great teaching book for kids - whether they are visual learners or just love reading facts in text. Fourth and fifth graders will appreciate the book as a whole, but younger kids can learn the size comparisons from the visual art alone, if you "read" them the tale by abridging the book, in your own words.
The Reading Countess
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
The amazing photos detailing precisely how large an object being discussed makes this book. The side by side comparison within each well done photo allows the reader to envision the scale. My favorite? The Ice Age Glacier in comparison to the skyline of Chicago. Stunning!
Ashley
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alice picked out this oversize book at the library describing the size of things in relation to other things. We didn't go through all the narratives, but we compared all the pictures and talked about the size of things. It was fun.
Ari Slauson
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
i really like this book. I think it had some really good facts and pictures that children would think is interesting. i think this is a great book to have in the classroom for children to look at. I wish i had this book when i was younger.
Megan
May 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So many cool facts and illustrations. I would've loved this book as a kid. Oh let's face it... I love it now!
Marsha
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Amazing info about how big things can b. Googol waffles is 10 billion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion times the size of the universe.
Mas5thgrade2012
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5b, pbandj23
When I was reading this book, I saw a picture of a snake and i showed it to my friend and she freaked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-PB+j23
Arvin antonio
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it
this book was funny when i saw the polor bear!
Phoebe
Aug 31, 2010 added it
Huge photo spreads and minimal text make this just right for a little browser--a great way to illustrate actual size. Check out the polar bear, and the dinner-plate sized tarantula.
Beverly
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jnf-100
Fascinating and interesting, the way good non fiction for children should be. Interesting & amazing photo shopped pictures.
Frank
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting stuff. Don't read it Jana it will freak you out. For Caleb's eyes only!
Tanya W
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pretty cool stuff. Hard to sit and do through one or two readings. Full of interesting facts about big things.
Alex