Goodreads Developers discussion

examples / showcase > Social Reads - GR app for Windows Phone, Windows8 and WindowsRT

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (last edited Sep 03, 2013 02:27PM) (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Hi

I've developed a GoodReads client for Windows Phone 7 & 8, called "Social Reads". It's currently on the WP marketplace:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/sto...

The app is totally free.

I started this topic for easier discussions, feedback and questions about the app.

Hope you like it!

Edit 9/4/2013:
Social Reads is now a Windows8/WindowsRT app also!
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app...

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Awesome! We really need to buy a windows phone for the office to start checking out all these apps.

message 3: by Peter (last edited Jan 23, 2013 03:18PM) (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Update 1.2 is now available
Edit: Microsoft keeps publishing the wrong version of the app (v1.0). I've contacted them about the issue.
Edit #2: update resent. Should be out by the 29th.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Love the app. Cant wait for Microsoft to release the new update.

Thank you for all the work Peter!

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments My pleasure :)

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric Lawson | 2 comments Peter, I've just updated to 1.2 and I am encountering issues with scanning of barcodes. I'm running a Lumia 920 with OS version 8.0.10211.204

After I start up the application everything looks to be fine, I see notifications, I go to My books and it shows the right books, knows what I'm currently reading etc so it appears that the connection to the Goodreads site is working that way.

When I go to scan a barcode it recognises the barcode and displays the read barcode on the screen (I do like that additional feature). The dots move across the top of the screen as it's waiting, then nothing happens. The book cover and name don't appear at the top of the screen and join the list. I can then hit start/restart scan and scan another barcode and the same thing happens. If I hit add to to-read shelf the dots move across the top as if something is happening but no books get added to the shelf. So it's not that the list isn't displaying, it doesn't seem to be adding the books to the list at all.

I've done a full power down of the phone and restarted to ensure that there was no other underlying issue. I've also tested connecting via wifi and 4g network to see if that made any difference.

The books that I am testing on are in the goodreads database. one of the test barcodes was 9781841498690. Let me know what other testing you would like me to do so we can identify what the problem is.

thanks

Eric

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Eric wrote: "Peter, I've just updated to 1.2 and I am encountering issues with scanning of barcodes. I'm running a Lumia 920 with OS version 8.0.10211.204

After I start up the application everything looks to b..."

Hi Eric,

I found the bug that was causing the problem. Worked it out and fix is coming in v1.3. (by Feb 9th)

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Wow, that was fast!

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Lawson | 2 comments Awesome thanks, glad I could help.

message 10: by Peter (last edited Feb 13, 2013 10:10AM) (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Well I'm pretty used to the API now! :)

message 11: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments You can now follow updates for Social Reads on twitter:
https://twitter.com/SocialReadsWP

message 12: by Jana (new)

Jana | 1 comments Hello! I just got your app today, and so far I like it.
Is there a way to update my book-challenge? It still says 0 books read, is there a way to put the previously read books on there or will it start counting now?

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Hi Jana,
Thanks for downloading Social Reads.

Like the Reading Challenge section on GoodReads, the Reading Challenge on SR works on a yearly basis and counts the books you have read in the running year (e.g. 2013). It retrieves the number of books read in 2013 from GoodReads.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments I'm having the same issue with the reading challenge. I've read 48 books on Goodreads but SR still says 0.

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments The reading challenge only counts the books you've read in 2013. It sends a request to goodreads for "books read in 2013" and gets the corresponding response. Whether the response 0 or not is out of my hands.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments Ok. I've read all of those in 2013. Oh well.

message 17: by ♫ ℬuggy (new)

♫ ℬuggy   ツ (BuggyGoodreadscom) | 5 comments I just gownloaded the app. But it is not syncing the updates from the mobile. It shows all other features, works fine with the notifications. But cannot mark a book completed or page read. What now ?

message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments @Buggy can you send me an email with more information about your problem? You can find my contact details on the about page.

message 19: by Taha (new)

Taha Najam (tahanm) | 4 comments Great job Peter. That's one thing I love about WP platform: its loyal developer base. Could you please add the book's publishing date in its description in the next update? Once again thanks for such an awesome app.

message 20: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Sure, I had removed it to make the app less cluttered. For now you can see the publishing date under the book title on the book page.

message 21: by Taha (last edited Jun 24, 2013 12:17PM) (new)

Taha Najam (tahanm) | 4 comments Yeah noticed, currently it just shows the year, which is useless as 2013 could mean the book is out already or may release 4 months later. One of the main reasons for visiting Goodreads is to see exactly when a book will be available in stores. Maybe use short date if it feels cluttered?

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments I'll work on it :)

message 23: by Taha (last edited Jun 24, 2013 12:22PM) (new)

Taha Najam (tahanm) | 4 comments Thanks :)

message 24: by ♫ ℬuggy (new)

♫ ℬuggy   ツ (BuggyGoodreadscom) | 5 comments Peter wrote: "@Buggy can you send me an email with more information about your problem? You can find my contact details on the about page."

it seems u r not accepting messages.please check ur settings.

message 25: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments That's weird; if you want you can send me a message on GoodReads instead.

message 26: by ♫ ℬuggy (new)

♫ ℬuggy   ツ (BuggyGoodreadscom) | 5 comments Peter wrote: "That's weird; if you want you can send me a message on GoodReads instead."
I tried just that, but, when I click on "Send Message", GR says, this person is not accepting messages.
Anyway, when I click on submit after I write the page number on which I am then, there are those loading dots moving above the screen and then, when I check my GR profile feed, its not there, the updates.
The "Completed" button also did not work when I tapped on it. :(

message 27: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Can you try using the shortcut instead of the main menu item? Some users are having this problem for some reason.
To bring up the shortcut, navigate to a page other than the main page (eg your profile) and pinch the screen (like you would do to zoom out a picture). Shortcuts will show up on your screen and you can update your status from there.
Tell me if this works for you.

message 28: by ♫ ℬuggy (new)

♫ ℬuggy   ツ (BuggyGoodreadscom) | 5 comments I navigated to Whats New, tried pinching, it only zooms the text. Is this alright? Or, do I have to go to some other page?
Umm, I just realized that it is not working on any of the pages. Not working for me. :(

message 29: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Pinch as in move your fingers closer together, on a page different than the main page (not on the what's new view). Try it in the "Me" page. The text shouldn't zoom at all.

message 30: by ♫ ℬuggy (new)

♫ ℬuggy   ツ (BuggyGoodreadscom) | 5 comments Yes! It is working perfectly

message 31: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Subject updated!

Social Reads now supports Windows8 and WindowsRT

message 32: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (crii) | 1 comments great job Peter! I've been using Social Reads on my Windows Phone for a while and I'm happy with it. I think it's the best Goodreads client for this operating system so far, and though it's not perfect yet, it's getting better with each update.
I'll definitely give a try to the Windows 8 version :)

message 33: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Glad you like it Cristina!
Do send me feedback at my support email if you have any suggestions :)

message 34: by Nor Ikhwan (new)

Nor Ikhwan Ali (sillarra) | 3 comments Hi Peter,

I really want to check Social Reads but it seems it's not available in my region, which is weird because Social Reads Pro is available. Any reasons for this?

I'm using Lumia 920, region Malaysia.

message 35: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments That's odd, I will look into it.

message 36: by Nor Ikhwan (new)

Nor Ikhwan Ali (sillarra) | 3 comments Peter wrote: "That's odd, I will look into it."

Thanks!

message 37: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Nor Ikhwan wrote: "Peter wrote: "That's odd, I will look into it."

Thanks!"

I just resubmitted the app. It should show up in the Malaysian market within a couple of hours.

message 38: by Nor Ikhwan (new)

Nor Ikhwan Ali (sillarra) | 3 comments Got it installed now; thanks Peter!

message 39: by iArivu (new)

iArivu | 1 comments Thanks for the amazing app. It did the job as it advertised. But please update the UI to metro style. Its not utilizing the complete Windows phone UI style. Instead of list items grid will be,much easier to switch back and forth. Once again thanks for hard work.

message 40: by Sven (new)

Sven Kohlhaas (svenkohlhaas) | 1 comments Hi Peter, nice work on the Social Reads apps for Windows Store and Windows Phone Store! I lately downloaded them both and use them a lot.

message 41: by Dunerat (new)

Dunerat | 1 comments Having a problem with the pro app on My HTC Arrive running WP7.5. The first time i start the app after installation, the login screen comes up just fine, i enter my information, and it kicks me out to the app list. Every time i start the app after that, i hit login and it kicks me out to the app list. i've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and none of my other apps are having any issues. i really want to use your app, since there is no official one, but this is obviously creating a great heartache for me as i was planning to use the scanner as i read my books. =(

message 42: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments Hi. Please send me an email (you can find my address on the about screen of the app) so I can send you instructions for an alternative login method.

message 43: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Burtt Hi

Is anyone else having problems with the reading challenge feature. Mine was working fine until a few days ago but no it shows that I have read no books at all this year. Everything else in the app seems to be fine.

Malcolm

message 44: by Ettore (new)

Ettore Pasquini Malcolm, this forum is for developers using our public api. Can you direct your question either to support@goodreads.com of the official feedback forum?

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1