UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Group Games > Write a story using cliches

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 360 comments Writers are told to avoid using cliches like the plague. I thought it might be fun (and quite a challenge) for us to write a story using cliches only. It will also make us more aware of them and perhaps help us to avoid using them.
One or two sentences per post, but each sentence must include a cliche.

I'll start.

If James had been stone-cold sober he would have realised he wasn't working with a level playing field. But now heads will roll, and the cherry on the top is ...

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments ...that after a meeting at work about synergy, his blue sky thinking is better than ever.

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments He'd have to circle back, and revert back to his colleagues, as well as reaching out to his boss before close of play. He felt as sick as a parrot.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments Pushing the envelope was no longer on the table.

message 5: by Jan (last edited Jan 01, 2013 10:12AM) (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 360 comments James felt that at this point in time he had missed the boat.

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments He was used to being at the top of his game.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments He now had to think outside the box and get something out of left field.

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Should be easy as pie, he thought, or was that pi? Just then an irrational number sailed past him in a small liferaft, followed by a tiger...

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments A light bulb moment - I need a tiger in my tank.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "A light bulb moment - I need a tiger in my tank."

but who has put their tanks on my lawn?

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Jim prodded the tanks carefully with a long stick, as if he was expecting a lawyer to jump out and yell "surprise" while waving a set of papers in his hand.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments His phone rang, briefly. Choosing 'Jingle Bells' as a ring tone was as much of an embarrassment as his inappropriate tattoo.
"James, is that you?"
It was the voice of his ex-wife, now unhappily married to his arch-nemesis, Tarragon.

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments What the hell does she want, he thought. I need her like a hole in the head right now.

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 360 comments She's so over-the-top I could write a book about her.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments Jan wrote: "She's so over-the-top I could write a book about her."

She started off with an hour glass figure, but now the sand has started to drain down.
Indeed where previously she was described as pert, now she's more 'underpinned'

message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 360 comments Jim wrote: "Jan wrote: "She's so over-the-top I could write a book about her."

She started off with an hour glass figure, but now the sand has started to drain down.
Indeed where previously she was described ..."

...as having clothes that fit like a glove, after the Christmas food and revelry they now fit more like a sausage skin.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments James felt that he had 'got one over' on old Tarragon. Yes she had taken the house and the car, but she'd also taken her mother and her brother. The latter was a nasty piece of work. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth he had pawned it and had spent the money on sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. All the staff at the nursery had protested.

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments but sport was on his mind,and he was over the moon,where as everyone else was sick as a parrot,but you can't win all of the time,so take each match as it comes,and everyone's a winner.

message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments The winner takes it all, he thought, or in this case it's the early bird as gets the worm, or more specifically the early crook that gets the loot. Since that bitch was now shagging Tarragon and using his ex-fortune to line his mattress, Jim needed a new plan...

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments It's a game of two halves and it isn't over until the fat lady sings

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 360 comments Jim was planning his revenge, and uppermost was the gleeful thought that when Tarrragon stole his wife, he didn't realise that the bitch he'd selected was the pick of the litter.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments 'But enough of these sour grapes', he thought. 'Every cloud has a silver lining and today I'll find it.'

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments 'I'll take the bull by the horns and make a clean breast of it. Throw myself on the mercy of the court, take the rap, do my time, and come out a new man.'

message 24: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments And so, Jim found himself down-at-heel, on the wrong side of the tracks.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments where now the old school tie?

message 26: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 360 comments Patti (Festive Figgy Pudding) wrote: "'But enough of these sour grapes', he thought. 'Every cloud has a silver lining and today I'll find it.'"

The sky's the limit, and with a change of attitude it's a whole new ball game. Let the games begin...

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments and with that thought in mind he was toying with the idea of batting for the other side.

message 28: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments And so he turned over a new leaf.

message 29: by Steve (new)

Steve (scotstevie) but fell out of the frying pan and into the fire...

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments after quickly escaping the fire he thought his goose was cooked.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments He woke up suddenly, to find he'd fallen asleep at the PC. He suspected that if he looked in the mirror he'd see the imprint of the keys on his cheek.
He rubbed his eyes and pressed 'any key' to continue. The life of an indie author was not an easy one. Still, another day, another dollar.

message 32: by Jan (last edited Jan 03, 2013 05:58AM) (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 360 comments He sat at the computer waiting for inspiration to slosh him over the head, but deciding that time waits for no man, he googled ideas for dispatching Tarragon.

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments He glanced to the side of his keyboard and realised his ex-wife was still talking on the phone. He thought she would have rang off by now after he had put it down but he could still hear her wittering on.
Thinking that she's obviously after something he thought to himself, she's not going to take me to the cleaners like last time.

message 34: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 360 comments James, now known to his Goodreads friends as Jim, decided he needed to put some bread on the table. I know, he thought, I'll write a book about cliches. Eeasy peasy. That should make me a mint of money. Writers are sure to buy it - after all, we're all on the same page.

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments Jan wrote: "James, now known to his Goodreads friends as Jim, decided he needed to put some bread on the table. I know, he thought, I'll write a book about cliches. Eeasy peasy. That should make me a mint of m..."

virtually singing from the same hymn sheet.
The more he thought about it, the easier it seemed. Any fool could stick a book on Amazon and make an absolute killing.
He still had enough friends and family to give him five star reviews. But he's write it under a pen name so his ex-wife didn't find out about it. But what name to choose?

message 36: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Slow as a pancake.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "Slow as a pancake."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAgaspHAHAHAHAHA!

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments I'm surprised, my late great-uncle, Bartholomew slow-as-a-pancake Thistlethwaite was always proud of his unusual middle name, even if it was a bit of a cliche

message 39: by Justine M (new)

Justine M  Dunn (Juzzadunn) | 9 comments Any friend of yours is a friend of mine, he told me - little did I know he already had one paw on the chicken coup. They married in haste and now she will repent at leisure, because a little bird told me he ran off with all her cash. There, but for the grace of God, go I.

She who laughs last, laughs longest.

message 40: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Well, he thought, a bird in the hand is worth two in Shepherd's Bush. And there's always chicken soup...

message 41: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments And indeed he was well and truly in the soup. Indeed he was drinking in the last chance saloon

message 42: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 360 comments Jim was still trying to think of a pen name, but was glad that everyone had come to the party with their cliches so that he could begin on the book

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments It was one of those 'how to eat an elephant' situations. He just needed to take that first step and get on with it before the train had left the station. He didnt want to wake up and smell the coffee and find the ship had already sailed.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments This isn't for me.

I avoid cliches like the plague.